PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I Hate technology!

Handloader109
02-12-2017, 09:19 PM

Yes, I shot my printer. A three or four year old HP. Hadn't used it much lately, daughter had it at college last semester and brought it home at Christmas. Had issues with my other "better" inkjet and had bought a black cartridge to go with the color I still had. Printed a dozen b/w pages in past week or so. Then tried to print some better quality paper and it just would not act right. Tried std paper and still issues. Kind of teed me off after ruining a number of pages and wasting my time. I put it out of its misery. 14 of 15 hit it and most were cast. A couple of RN were in the mag. Boy I feel better!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

shoot-n-lead
02-12-2017, 09:35 PM
I shot a laptop one afternoon about 2yrs ago...it messed up one too many times.

MAN...it felt good to do that!

country gent
02-12-2017, 09:41 PM
That was 3

Ithaca Gunner
02-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Now burn it.

MaryB
02-12-2017, 10:49 PM
I gave up on inkjet printers, went to laser and won't go back!

Nueces
02-12-2017, 11:10 PM
I went laser, too, but bought a color printer "in case I needed it." Over 4 years old and not yet out of the box.

Petrol & Powder
02-12-2017, 11:40 PM
I will NEVER own a HP printer again. I had one years ago and it was junk and their service was beyond horrible.

I swore that I would never give that company another penny. I cannot begin to explain how bad the printer was or how bad the company was. What I can say is that it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another one.

crowbuster
02-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Boy you guys are really messed up ! I've never shot my printer, or computer........just a microwave that had a mind of it's own. hahaha and I even took it outside before I shot it ! feels so goooooood

RP
02-13-2017, 12:06 AM
I was trying to save money and was doing a lot of flounder gigging at the time and needed a power source for my lights. Not having the money to buy what I needed I was given a working small engine and decided I could spin a alternator and use it to charge my batteries. So with a lot of effort I had one direct welded to my gas engine crank. Fired it up and WOW it ran smooth not all out of balance like you would think. I was very happy with myself so I grabbed a battery and hooked it up to make sure it would charge. That is where things got bad then worse. As soon as I applied current to get the alternator going it sheared the weld so I welded it back and got a battery that was not as weak and it did it again. Yes now I know I should have had it hooked to the shaft with something to take the shock of the alternator going to work but at the time I did not know. So during the summer on hot days and getting really upset I was having such a hard time I lost it. Being a small engine with a handle I grab it up did about three spins and sent it flying out in the yard as hard as I could throw it. It hit the ground and kept running which made me more angry so I walked into my mancave opened the safe and grabbed a pistol loaded it up walked back out in the yard and empty the pistol. Well yes it was full of gas and oil still running but after I shot it busting the tank blowing gas over the yard it burst into flames. But man I felt better walked back in the shop put the pistol away and grabbed a beer and watched the fire to make sure it did not spread to far. As I was drinking my beer I noticed my neighbor peeking out of his garage turns out he had been watching me which kind of made me feel foolish. So I just waved at him and finished my beer.
But my sons and I have shot laptops tvs ac units cars trucks several other household items. Today I turned over a new leaf I placed a few airbags my son got from work as recalls under my TV that quit last week and sent it airborne a few times I have to say it was not as much fun as shooting it but it was still fun.

Col4570
02-13-2017, 03:48 AM
A buddy of mine shot his friends Shotgun (Accidentaly).They where just putting their Gear away after a mornings Rabbiting when he spotted a Bunny running along the Hedge bottom so he let fly at it.Unfortunately the other blokes Gun was leaning against a Gate and it got an Ounce and a Quarter of No7 Shot across the Stock.It was a good hit but he missed what he was aiming at.

LUBEDUDE
02-14-2017, 03:16 PM
A buddy of mine shot his friends Shotgun (Accidentaly).They where just putting their Gear away after a mornings Rabbiting when he spotted a Bunny running along the Hedge bottom so he let fly at it.Unfortunately the other blokes Gun was leaning against a Gate and it got an Ounce and a Quarter of No7 Shot across the Stock.It was a good hit but he missed what he was aiming at.

Man I laughed a long time over this one. Just picturing the look on their faces and the "conversation" that ensued.

robg
02-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Wish I could do that to the computers at work

smokeywolf
02-14-2017, 05:59 PM
I learned something interesting about HP products. Their consumer level junk is just that, JUNK. Their commercial level products are pretty good.
I too went through one HP inkjet, an HP scanner, Cannon scanner and several Epson inkjets; all JUNK.

Mrs. smokeywolf had a home-based business several years ago and had to have a reliable printer. I did a lot of research and ended up giving HP a go again. Bought her a small office type/level HP color laser printer. It worked much more reliably than the HP or anybody else's consumer level krap and lasted 4 times longer at far higher duty cycle (4 years). It finally stopped feeding reliably a few months ago.
Replaced it with a HP PRO MFP 477. Scans, copies and prints both sides, fast and has already saved several trips to Staples/Office Max/Office Depot for copying or scanning to a thumb drive. Kids can send homework to the printer from school or "the frozen yogurt shop" (today's version of "the malt shop") using their cell phone, tablet or laptop.

Won't buy consumer level printer/scanner junk again.

Handloader109
02-14-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm broke, but needed a color printer, got an epson, another allinone. Prints pretty good, duplex and we'll see how it hold up. Want a tank reservoir that Epson sell, but its $300 min.

dbosman
02-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Ink jet printers need to be used a couple of times a week or the ink dries on the print cartridge or worse, on the print head. We print our photos at any of the mega store. They have superior photo printing for less than it costs for paper and ink for a home printer.

My most recent color printer is discontinued Dell color laser for $50., from Staples. If I get 500 pages I'll be happy and may scrap it or sell it.
The only drawback is there are no drivers for Windows 10 so wireless doesn't work. I have a wired home network though, so no big deal.

I found it through this site https://www.cnet.com/cheapskate/

(https://www.cnet.com/cheapskate/)

Mal Paso
02-14-2017, 10:55 PM
I will NEVER own a HP printer again. I had one years ago and it was junk and their service was beyond horrible.

I swore that I would never give that company another penny. I cannot begin to explain how bad the printer was or how bad the company was. What I can say is that it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another one.

Me too! Pro Grade HP wasted $150 of ink cleaning. Refused to print, just kept cycling. No help from HP

Replaced with a Brother B&W Laser/scanner is under $150 w/tax (twice as the first one was good just not fireproof LOL). Amazon cartridges $15 Drums $30.

Epson has a Dye Sublimation Photo Printer that looks good. I may get one once I get settled.

I had great plans to video a 12ga slug going through the HP but I would have had to put it back together. Too big a time hole after trying to fix so it went in the trash.

MaryB
02-15-2017, 12:00 AM
I had an HP color laser for 8 years, it got pretty heavy use and when the drum assembly finally needed replacing I scrapped it because that part was the cost of a B&W laser. I no longer had the need for a color laser.

Col4570
02-15-2017, 02:36 AM
Got a HP Envy Wireless Printer a year ago,it performs good at press,Fingers Crossed.Had some exasperating times with Printers in the past.

NavyVet1959
02-15-2017, 03:01 AM
I had an HP LaserJet IV (Postscript) that I had rescued from being tossed away at a company that I had worked at back around 2000. I had to replace the toner cartridge once and about a year or so ago, it quit working. Fry's had a sale on a double sided Samsung laser printer, so I went with it instead. The HP was definitely a more sturdy build than the Samsung.

I've never been a fan of the inkjet printers. They just seemed like they were a scam to get you to buy proprietary overpriced ink cartridges. I have a couple of them that were free (i.e. either came with a rebate that was the entire price of the printer or were included with a computer whether you wanted it or not). They also have scanners on them and that is all they get used for now.

The old HP DeskJet 500 printer was a pretty good inkjet printer though. The ink seemed to last noticeably longer and it was built very sturdily.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/museum/imagingprinting/0019/images/0019threeqtr.jpg

dragon813gt
02-15-2017, 09:19 AM
I set my old HP printer on fire. Got tired of paying the ridiculous prices for HP ink so I went aftermarket. Used two full sets w/ no problems. Third set killed the print head. Looked around a bought an Epson because of low cost of ink and the amount of pages per cartridge. It's still fairly new so I can't report on long term success but it's been trouble free so far.

Tackleberry41
02-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Dont go thinking its just HP, all printers are the same. They design them to go out, how else are they going to get you to buy one every so often? I have a cannon, because I refuse to buy another HP. I buy a printer now based on the cost of the cartridge. I know that in a year or 2 I will be buying another printer when this one starts to act up, so might as well be cheap.

I used an xbox 360 for target practice, one of the early ones, the ones they knew were bad when they shipped them. It got the red ring of death, called them up. Oh gee that warranty we extended ran out 10 days ago, so we will fix it for a fee. And I knew the fix would not last, a friend his son went thru 5 replacements. Oddly the used video game places still try to sell used 1st edition units. Needless to say nobody will buy them, no matter how cheap they are. I noticed the place had a huge pile of the hard drives in the cabinet, no idea who would need one, they last far longer the xbox. And there are few working 1st editions still working.

Bob in St. Louis
02-15-2017, 11:19 AM
When Saab recalled the Takata airbag in my sons car due to the possibility of "accidental and unintended deployment", I chose to take it out of his car all together. Parts were on backorder with no ETA for replacement. I wasn't going to risk it, so "out it comes".
I chose to end its life with great fanfare on YouTube with numerous rounds from my autoloading shotgun. Of course it didn't detonate, but made a decent mess. As it turns out, the unfired chemicals inside an airbag are some of the nastiest genetic altering substances know to mankind. When water is added (rain), they're even worse. So a buddy of mine was kind enough to tell me about the hazard I had created in my back yard.

So.... That taught me a lesson about shooting things I don't like.
Now... that's not to say I won't make the same mistake twice by taking a desktop computer out there and blowing it away.....

I copy and pasted the message my buddy sent me to the text on the video, just in case somebody decided to shoot their unfired airbag. I might save them from growing a third arm.
Just in case you're curious, here's the video. The story is in the "show more" section:
https://youtu.be/3o5cWou1AlY

kingstrider
02-18-2017, 04:06 AM
Lol and I thought I was the only one to shoot up old computers and hardware. I really can't think of a better way to destroy a hard drive.