PDA

View Full Version : Coyote

richhodg66
02-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Had been hearing a lot of them, finally got my predator caller I ordered in and some time. It's mating season so last night under a very bright moon I went out with the female coyote howler and nothing. Slept later than I should have this morning and walked out to a hill overlooking some woods and started a cottontail in distress call, had three come in together at a full run from upwind, wasn't expecting that. Still managed to get off two shots and killed one. I'm not expert, but he seems like a pretty big and healthy coyote to me.

Wolfer
02-12-2017, 10:31 AM
A lot of fun for sure.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-12-2017, 03:44 PM
good shooting!

Plate plinker
02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
So what did you hit the coyote with? Looks like nice fur.

richhodg66
02-12-2017, 05:04 PM
12 gauge. I thought about skinning it, but had a church commitment this morning and just threw it out. Probably wasteful of me, maybe the next one.

Texas by God
02-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Out of the hundred or so I have killed one that stands out was taken with an 870 12 ga. He was running in fast to my cousin's mouse squeak call. I shot him as he realized his mistake with high brass BBs. My blood was pumping! Way to go sir! Best, Thomas.

richhodg66
02-12-2017, 06:33 PM
The shells I used this morning were some I bought on close out many years ago, Federal goose loads of 1 7/8 ounce of BB lead shot. Wish I had bough more. I thought bigger shot would be the ticket but these killed it instantly. Distance of about 30 yards.

CastingFool
02-12-2017, 11:02 PM
I have shot two of them with my 870 and 12 ga slugs. Both about 50 yds away. Both were female, 24 and 27 lbs. The larger one is at the tanner's now, I hope. I wasn't hunting coyotes specifically, they just showed up while I was deer hunting. One was feeding on a gut pile, the other had run up from behind her partner (which I was getting ready to shoot), but she stopped much closer to my position.

white eagle
02-12-2017, 11:39 PM
way to go
it can be another addicting pastime

35 shooter
02-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Nice going. Close range varmint calling and shooting gets the blood pumping quick.

shoot-n-lead
02-13-2017, 03:25 AM
Good job!

4719dave
02-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Don't stop now more to go .dam things eat everything ...

richhodg66
02-13-2017, 07:38 AM
That's the plan. Went out again yesterday evening, nothing. It'll have to wait til the weekend again now.

trapper9260
02-13-2017, 08:39 AM
That one had some nice fur on it.Also nice an healthy too. Too bad you bump it.it would pay for your ammo and then some.if you skin it some time the same day you would be ok with the fur.

Plate plinker
02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Those other two coyotes will never come back.

In general with coyote it is a one shot deal.

Bodean98
02-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Do be careful when approaching one that falls like that from a shotgun blast. Some times it means they were knocked unconscious and can spring back to life at the most inopportune time! They may be mortally wounded and still have enough pluck to do some real damage. I have teeth marks on the end of one of my shotguns to attest to it!
It is fun isn't it??

Matt15
02-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Nice shooting! I hope to get one myself, soon.

richhodg66
02-13-2017, 08:25 PM

You may be right. Much as I liked killing that one, I really just don't want them around where I live. It is pretty fun, though.

I have access to a good bit of public land and I know there are a lot of them on it. I may go out there some and try to connect on a few. Might ask around and see if some of the farmers around here would let me call them on their places. Also considering dropping some cash on a Mossberg 935, I could have used an autoloader the other day, a shorter barrel might have been good too.

Supposedly, we're in the height of the coyote "rut". I'd have guessed that female coyote howl would have worked better. The thing also has a fawn in distress call, in a few months when the fawns are born, gonna try that one too.

Yodogsandman
02-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Even if you get made while using a fawn call, they'll never go in to one again. Double benefit!

richhodg66
02-13-2017, 10:02 PM
I don't hunt deer on my place. I probably will eventually, but it's small enough that it is likely it would end up on someone else's property and besides that, for two years now, a mama doe has had triplets that we see a lot the whole year and I kind of like having them here. Have seen very little buck sign, just a few rubs and one or two scrapes. If educating a few coyotes that coming into a fawn in distress noise is a bad idea that would be a good thing.

Pinsnscrews
02-16-2017, 12:14 AM
I keep finding a male on the privacy wall in the early mornings...I don't think the neighbors who have lost their small dogs would complain, but, I don't think the neighbor across the wall would be thrilled with a .38 round smacking into their house...

54bore
03-05-2017, 12:38 AM

Same with Wolves, miss an opportunity once with a wolf and you might as well move on, you just made one of the smartest animals on the planet that much smarter!

popper
03-05-2017, 08:31 PM
IIRC, wolves are off the list now.

OS OK
03-05-2017, 08:48 PM
The 'dying rabbit' is hard to beat,
that's sumpin they all like to eat.

Hogtamer
03-05-2017, 09:15 PM
That's great work Rich.

OlDeuce
03-13-2017, 12:28 AM
Those Coyotes are damn smart in our area!!! soon the pups will be yelping and they are all a long shot!! they drive me nuts in the spring...25-35 is what I use :-) ..........Ol Deuce

trapper9260
03-13-2017, 07:56 AM
For what stated that the coyote is a smart animal.Too many do not think they are.Like stated it take once and they learn fast.I tell some farmers around here that the reason that some people hate coyotes is because they do not like a animal that is smarter then them. Some will get pi'' off and some will get a kick out of it because they know it is true.I have caught some in my traps that someone had shot them with bird shot.I find it under there skin.

w5pv
03-13-2017, 08:23 AM
The rabbits are making a come back around here maybe the yotes have gone else where.I haven't saw or heard any yotes in a pretty good while

dverna
03-13-2017, 09:53 AM
In my area they are hunted with dogs. One hunting group has about 60 so far this year...taken in season.

But the accepted practice is to shoot them on sight anytime of the year. The first rule I learned when I moved here on retirement is the 3S rule. Stray dogs without a collar typically get the same treatment. Depending on the location, the Shovel part is optional.

atr
03-13-2017, 10:31 AM
what a waste you didn't keep the pelt

white eagle
03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
some pelts are not worth keeping or putting up
mange,rubbed out that sort of thing

1989toddm
03-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Where to take the pelts when you get one skinned? Need to be fleshed and salted or will some take them raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atr
03-13-2017, 02:31 PM
its winter so this time of year the pelts should be full.

ghh3rd
03-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Lived in and still work in Oldsmar FL. Coyotes walk the streets in the wee hours of the morning, in neighborhoods as well as main roads. It is very strange to drive by one that looks like it's taking a walk in the park without a care in the world.

white eagle
03-13-2017, 07:10 PM
mange and breeding season is rough on winter pelts too

richhodg66
03-13-2017, 08:45 PM
This one's fur looked pretty good, I just had a lot to do and didn't feel like messing with it. I started hunting them because I want them dead, the fun factor is secondary.

I managed to call in another a week or so later. Just showed up, maybe 25-30 yards away. Shot him, reloaded the shotgun and stayed put hoping another might be coming in. The one I shot fell below line of sight, but I was sure he was dead. A few minutes later I heard something moving through the leaves behind me and to my left so got ready but nothing. When I turned off the caller and went to get the coyote, I found a big, bloody mess where he had been standing, but no coyote. Managed to blood trail it for 50 yards or so until it petered out. I'm sure it was dead pretty shortly thereafter, but I didn't recover it.

Haven't called in a couple of weeks. Next week is Spring break so I should have more time. One thing I want to do is wait for the fawns to be born and try a fawn in distress call.

CastingFool
03-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Here's a pic of the one I shot last fall. Picked up the tanned skin about 2 weeks ago. The camera didn't pick up the color correctly, what shows up as white is more of a golden color. This was a female, and weighed 27 lbs.

trapper9260
03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Where to take the pelts when you get one skinned? Need to be fleshed and salted or will some take them raw?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIf you are selling the pelt you do not salt them. Check your area for a fur buyer. Some will buy them not skin some will buy them both ways skin and un skin. You like to put your skins up you do flesh them and put on boards to dry and then you will be able to market them better. I put up all my own furs and I get more for them. If there is any holes sew them. that way you will not get a lower price on them.When you sew up coyote skins it will not show much if you do it right and they will give you more for the skin.Other wise it will be class as damage. On other furs that I put up it will show if I sew it but do not get reduce bad on it since I sew the pelt.

1989toddm
03-14-2017, 08:44 AM
If you are selling the pelt you do not salt them. Check your area for a fur buyer. Some will buy them not skin some will buy them both ways skin and un skin. You like to put your skins up you do flesh them and put on boards to dry and then you will be able to market them better. I put up all my own furs and I get more for them. If there is any holes sew them. that way you will not get a lower price on them.When you sew up coyote skins it will not show much if you do it right and they will give you more for the skin.Other wise it will be class as damage. On other furs that I put up it will show if I sew it but do not get reduce bad on it since I sew the pelt.

Thanks for the info!

trapper9260
03-14-2017, 09:27 AM
you are welcome 1989toddm if to stop the pelt to rot in the hard to dry areas you use borax. You can get it in the store where you get your closes wash and dish wash powders.there is 20 mule borax or anything other brand will do.

Sigmanz
03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Good job ! It is a lot of fun and something that needs a lot of doing. They are thick in my neck of the woods.

white eagle
03-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Got one this morning big male
220 swift @ 50 yds. 52 gr Speer bt hp
4th or 5th stand came flying into the caller had to stop
him for the shot he liked the juvenile racoon distress
bout 30 min into the set
hit a bit low and back he was spinning and biting at what
had stung him he was pulling his own guts out while he was spinning
real nice pelt not rubbed at all

CastingFool
03-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Good job, white eagle!

Plate plinker
03-14-2017, 07:23 PM
you are welcome 1989toddm if to stop the pelt to rot in the hard to dry areas you use borax. You can get it in the store where you get your closes wash and dish wash powders.there is 20 mule borax or anything other brand will do.
Does your buyer find it acceptable to toss the hide in the freezer if it is a bit warm outside. I know some guys that do it this way.

trapper9260
03-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Does your buyer find it acceptable to toss the hide in the freezer if it is a bit warm outside. I know some guys that do it this way.I always after i skin them and other furs is put them in a shopping plastic bag in the freezer. ,but you need to have it fur side out and flesh side in and try to not have any of the flesh outside. My fur buyer gets all my fur already put up. The only one I do not put up anymore is badger ,because he wants to send them out to get tan and then after sell them to a taxidermist. I try to sell them not long after I get off the trapline. If it is the weekend I will skin them with the feet on them and put it in the freezer because he is on the road buying fur on the weekend.