PDA

View Full Version : Remington RB 45-70P Purpose Built . . . . Hunter

TCLouis
02-11-2017, 11:54 PM
So I have a R RRB action oxidizing away one molecule at a time and have a plan.

Round barrel 24-26" long

A section out on the barrel out from the action an inch or so long with a diameter to make it "level" with the top of the action for a scope mount and another for a front scope mount and fore end retaining screw

Browned, not blued

Lyman 17 or equivalent front sight

Twist rate for 350-420 grain boolit

To be used for plinking and hunting (trap door level loads)

Anyone out there ever build such a beast?
YES I know some will consider it an abomination but I want it for me, not to show.

country gent
02-12-2017, 12:08 AM
Most are drilled and tapped for blocks on the barrel just in front of the receiver ring then at 7" for modern scopes for a traditional it could be 7" or 17" for a malcomb style scope. Most use unertal 3/8 posi blocks. For a modern scope weaver blocks or a weaver rail bolted down. I believe Lee Shaver does an excellent trigger job for these fine old rifles lightening them to 2 lbs or so also. 1-18 if you think you might want to shoot the heavies ever. 1-22 only your listed weight range. Another nice addition is a bolt on pistol grip. Maybe even a gimmer style with a fancy trigger guard and wiping rod under the barrel. They have been built and are fun rifles. How involved you want to get is up to you.

Dusty Ed
02-13-2017, 07:34 PM
188007Howdy TC
I built one out of a 7mm Mexican Rolling Block ,Had Ron Snover Rebarrel an do the metalwork ,I got the stock from Treebone ,it has a 28" bbl. 40-65 w-w , it is #2 from the top
Dusty Ed

flint45
02-13-2017, 09:32 PM
I have a roller fuh type gun no scope but put on a rear sight from a T/C Hawken adj. type and front good for me out to 200 yards great at short range always could shoot good with those sights on my Hawken. I like it and I dont care what other people think, fun to shoot oh yea its a .50-70 barrel is a badger barrel of a C.Sharps.build em how you like em.

Boz330
02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
188007Howdy TC
I built one out of a 7mm Mexican Rolling Block ,Had Ron Snover Rebarrel an do the metalwork ,I got the stock from Treebone ,it has a 28" bbl. 40-65 w-w , it is #2 from the top
Dusty Ed
The one I built almost exactly like what Ed had built. Swedish RB action, 27" 40-65 barrel and Tree Bone stock. MVA has a period correct short scope for short range rifles. BTW that stock was standard Maple not an upgraded piece of wood.

Bob

marlinman93
02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
I really like Rolling Block rifles, and have built up a few and own a small collection of originals. Never contemplated doing a lightweight short rifle, as I like the balance and looks of a full length rifle. But if you've got a certain look in mind, I wouldn't care if anyone else was happy with it or not. I've always built what I like, and not thought about whether others would want it.

hc18flyer
02-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Keep this thread alive! I really like 'rollers' and hope to build/refurb one someday. I have built a couple of muzzleloaders from kits/parts and would have to hire a Gunsmith to do the barrel work. I think I could do the sights, stock, and rust browning. I'm thinking 35 Remington, or the .40-60 would work fine too? hc18flyer