PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Wheelweights

lightman
02-11-2017, 09:14 PM
The recent post about wheelweight scores and the pretty weather got me out to the shop to sort my last scores! After a lazy afternoon, I had a sore back and 6 buckets 3/4 full of sorted weights! I smelt in batches of around 400# so this will be 2 smelts. I try to keep the buckets at 1/2 to 3/4 full so that I can pick them up and dump them into my pot.

Maybe if I had not carried and loaded 2 full buckets at a time when I was younger, I would not have to work at a reduced load today! Work smarter not harder, right! Been needing to do this for a while. Maybe I will have some smelting pics in a week or so!

NC_JEFF
02-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Those wheel weights don't mind waiting awhile store they get sorted. It is a monotonous task tho.
JD

Bookworm
02-11-2017, 09:49 PM
I've got about 250 lbs of CWW sorted and ready for rendering.

It'll have to wait a few weeks, I've got other things going on...

308Jeff
02-11-2017, 09:50 PM
800 lbs of sorted? The rest of us need to keep our yappers shut about our "scores". :lol:

rondog
02-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Just make sure those buckets o' weights stay dry, don't want rain or snow getting them. They'll turn into a nasty, rusty mess, and the tinsel fairy will visit. Yucko, sucko. Ask me how I know.....

lightman
02-12-2017, 07:09 AM
800 lbs of sorted? The rest of us need to keep our yappers shut about our "scores". :lol:

Any score is a good score, and we enjoy hearing about all of them! This was not a single score but a culmination of scores. I wish but doubt that its 800# either. Six buckets 3/4 full will probably be more like 600#.

lightman
02-12-2017, 07:18 AM
Just make sure those buckets o' weights stay dry, don't want rain or snow getting them. They'll turn into a nasty, rusty mess, and the tinsel fairy will visit. Yucko, sucko. Ask me how I know.....

Thats a good point, Ron. Fortunately I have a shop with enough space that these have been inside since I scored them and they will get to stay inside. I'll dump 1/2 of these into my pot before I lite the fire and any moisture should disappear as they melt. It looks like someone dumped some brake fluid into one bucket of weights. That should make some smoke! I also noticed more painted weights in this batch. Glad I have a big exhaust fan in the shop!

Budzilla 19
02-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Not having a job for the last six months,by choice of course,lol,I had time to sort, remelt, and stack my bucket-o-weights as I got them to the house! Starting with a cold pot will that Tinsel fairy at bay every time!! I already used up a whole gallon ziplock bag of pine sawdust! Wife was not happy about the buildup of buckets so I had a remelting party one weekend and now just do them as I get them! Hey, you gotta keep the peace! And just found a roofing contractor willing to sell me roof jacks for a nice price! I'm hopeless.Ain't this fun? Hahahaha!!!!! Later,guys!