PDA

View Full Version : Case trimmer or case prep center

pull the trigger
02-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Which do you prefer? Thanks!!
Also primer pocket cutter or swager?

Greg S
02-11-2017, 11:44 AM
For automated trimming (large batches) I got a Giruard with set ups in 223 and 308. The Foster/Bonanza case trimmer beats the usual suspects but f I was to do it again, take a look at the Wilson. I tried both the lyman powered (sssllloooooow) and their acculine trimer (inconsistant results).

For case prep tools, I go with Sinclair the majority of the time. For swaging PP, I've got a Dillon tool and the RCBS case swage die set I picked up at a garage sale cheap. I haven't used it but a friend borrowed it. One comment on the RCBS. ALl cases need to be set up individually by headstamp and then occassionally by lot to preclude bending the backer rod. Dillon, no problems.

Love Life
02-11-2017, 12:56 PM
I like the Wilson for a hand trimmer, but you can also get an adapter for a drill. The RCBS Trim-Pro II powered case trimmer is my all time favorite.

While the case trimmers that indicate of the case shoulder are fast, you have to have very consistent sizing to get very consistent lengths. To get that consistency in shoulder bump, you need a gauge to measure and a very consistent hand at the press handle...

The Wilson and the trim-pro give much more consistent trim lengths for brass because they ende off the case head and/or rim which will have significantly less variation than you would induce in sizing the brass and moving the shoulder.

308Jeff
02-11-2017, 01:11 PM
I also have a Giraud that I use for all my trimming (223, 308, 30 Carbine). Coupled with an RCBS Case Prep Center, the two handle all my case prep with the exception of primer pocket crimps. For 223 I use a Hornady reamer installed in the RCBS, and I use a utility knife for 308 brass.

Love Life
02-11-2017, 01:22 PM
I use the RCBS press mounted primer pocket swager. I'd like to upgrade to the CH4D press swager if this one will ever break, lol.

It is a pain aligning the rod with the case mouth of the 5.56 brass.

ShooterAZ
02-11-2017, 01:45 PM
I like the Forster case trimmer, and the Dillon Super Swage. This combo has worked for me for many years, very durable. I also have the RCBS case prep center.

daboone
02-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Most of my case prep is done on a 6 year old RCBS Case Prep Center using the Lee case length gauge system. It's small footprint and consolation of all case prep steps and the speed it's done makes it a favorite. But when it comes to precision the Wilson Sinclair come out of its box and for me is just worth the extra time involved to produce that precision.

runfiverun
02-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Dillon super swage.
Dillon case trimmer and the lyman powered case trimmer.
then the rcbs case prep machine to champher the case mouth and to double check everything [the primer pocket cutters will let you know if a primer will go in the pocket] and their cutter will remove that little extra bit from the crimp ring if necessary.

Pee Wee
02-12-2017, 07:20 PM
I use the Dillon 600 super swage and a gracy Trimmer,