PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon's CLAYS & 30-150-TL

Maven
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I returned from the range about an hour ago after testing the 30-150-TL group buy CB, but with Hodgdon's CLAYS instead of B. Dot or Unique. I was inspired to try CLAYS after reading an article on Gallery Loads for the .30-06 in "The Fouling Shot" by C.E. Harris, but he used B'eye instead. As I have quite a bit if the Hodgdon stuff, I decided to substitute it for B'eye. Actually, I tried it once before with the GB CB and was impressed with its cleanliness and how accurate it was @ 50 yds. I retested it today @ 100 yds. using the following:

Lake City '57 brass neck sized in an old Pacific die; expanded with a Lyman "M" die;

7.5grs. CLAYS, thrown;

30-150-TL's, unsized & unsorted by cavity/weight (not water-dropped or heat-treated);

OAL was 3.12" and 3.10";

Lubed with Lee Liquid Alox;

Winchester LR primers.

Results: Much better than I expected in that the bulk of them clustered in a 1.75" - 1.875" group*. Of the two OAL's I tested, the 3.12" length grouped better. However, there were a few flyers (inattention, unweighed CB's, etc.), which doubled the group sizes (extreme spreads), but the overall trend was as stated earlier. Moreover, there was no leading at all; the fired cases were almost completely free of soot; the report was mild, but far from quiet; and the recoil was very light. Even at modest velocity (I'm guessing ~1,400fps because I didn't chrono. them.), they really impacted the backstop with authority.

To say that I'm pleased with the outcome is an understatement. Just think about this a moment: Drop the CB's from the mold, let them cool and swish them in Liq. Alox (or use your fingers), but NO sizing; NO gas checks (a $$ saver right there) and small powder charges (another $$ saver). After the Alox dries, load 'em and shoot 'em: What's not to like?

*I had 30 @ 3.12" and 22 @ 3.10". By "bulk" or "cluster" I mean at least 17 shots at each OAL, although for the 3.12" length, the number was closer to 22.

legend
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
thanks maven,i will try this and see...
leigh

Maven
07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Leigh, I forgot to mention that the rifle is a .30-06. Good luck with your efforts!