PDA

View Full Version : Frankford arsenal Platinum or Lyman Cyclone? Which one?

BK7saum
02-09-2017, 06:22 PM
I was considering building my own tumbler for tumbling cases, but mostly for cleaning suppressor baffles and monocore. But looking around, I've seen the FA platinum and the Lyman Cyclone for under $150 before shipping.

The reviews on the FA are favorable, moreso than the reviews on the Lyman. Any negative experiences with either one?

I can't hardly build the unit I want for less than $150. Of course, the one I built could probably tumble a 5 gallon bucket of brass. Looks like 1000 .223 cases or the equivalent is a respectable size/amount of brass.

I would appreciate any information or suggestions regarding the two tumblers listed or other options in the same price range. For anything more expensive, I would probably build my own with the quality parts I've already looked at sourcing for the purpose.

Thanks.

Brad

salpal48
02-09-2017, 07:02 PM
I would suggest Neither . If you want a Good tumbler That will Last 20-30 years ,without Problem. Buy a Lortone QT-12( 12 pound). Made in USA. all steel Big Rubber drum. No plastic
Look on TheRockShed.com
Mine are Over 20 years same belt, same motor. Just better
Sal

BK7saum
02-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Where can I find one for $150-175?

For $200+, I will probably continue with building my own that will hold a lot more capacity.

How many ca ses will the Lortone qt-12 run?

308Jeff
02-09-2017, 07:08 PM
I would suggest Neither . If you want a Good tumbler That will Last 20-30 years ,without Problem. Buy a Lortone QT-12( 12 pound). Made in USA. all steel Big Rubber drum. No plastic
Look on TheRockShed.com
Mine are Over 20 years same belt, same motor. Just better
Sal

What kind of capacity do you get with that? Say 9mm or 223 or 308.

salpal48
02-09-2017, 08:16 PM
If you use 30/06 as a standard the lortone 12 lb. will Tumble 300 considering they weigh 2.5 Lb per 100. There bulky. It is Not the quantity You tumble It is the amount you Tumble correctly
Go to "The Rock Shed" . com . Lortone is about $178.00 appox + shipping.
The lortone will tumble for days On end If necessary.
Most loader Buy Cheap equipment. and Loading Companies. Make them Cheap. . They don't Last. after a couple of years There shot
Rock Tumblers Buy Professional and or Commercial equipment. Why. They Tumble Rocks for Months on end to Polish. If they will tumble Rocks They will clean cases
Enclose a Photo of My machines

NyFirefighter357
02-09-2017, 08:40 PM
I have a F/A I love it but you can build this for about well under $50
https://youtu.be/9bXLq_9CW4c
You can scrounge just about every component: wiper motor with threaded shaft, piece of bed rail/frame, 2 casters, switch, Laptop computer power or battery charger, 2 gal paint pail, an extension nut the same thread as the shaft and a bolt the same thread.

308Jeff
02-09-2017, 09:49 PM
If you use 30/06 as a standard the lortone 12 lb. will Tumble 300 considering they weigh 2.5 Lb per 100. There bulky. It is Not the quantity You tumble It is the amount you Tumble correctly
Most loader Buy Cheap equipment. and Loading Companies. Make them Cheap. . They don't Last. after a couple of years There shot
Rock Tumblers Buy Professional and or Commercial equipment. Why. They Tumble Rocks for Months on end to Polish. If they will tumble Rocks They will clean cases

That's a very nice capacity, and a bargain price for what you're getting.

Salpal, after seeing those pics, I'm pretty sure you're the undisputed authority on tumblers. Good grief! That's one impressive display...

Bayou52
02-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Sal -

Very nice collection of tumblers.

Bayou

fred2892
02-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Any discussion about commercial tumblers stops right there with that photo. If you dont know which is the 'best buy' then nobody does.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk