PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 90MJT peep sight

AHicks1988
02-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Hey guys just bought a bolt action shotgun a while back. Going to make it a slug gun eventually. It's a Marlin 55 28 inch 12 gauge. Can anybody give me some advise on the Lyman 90 MJT sight as far as if it would work well for its purpose. The gun is already factory drilled and tapped for a peep but finding the "correct" one is proving to be a pain. the 90MJT has an adjustment bracket that, in theory, would be a direct bolt on. Just don't want to go drilling un-necessary holes in the receiver. Thanks in advance.

Andy
02-09-2017, 09:50 PM
I don't have any experience with this rifle/sight but if you're having trouble finding it there is a 90mgt on amazon if you're looking for one. I wasn't sure by your wording if you're looking for that sight or an alternative to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-3902050-90Mjt-Target-Sight/dp/B0000V2E8K

AHicks1988
02-15-2017, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to find a suitable replacement to the factory lyman sight. I don't really want to go drilling on the receiver to make new holes and I know the 90MJT has a mounting bracket used for attachment. If need be, I could make a new bracket to match the factory holes in the Marlin. Just didn't know if the MJT could handle the abuse of a slug gun.

Blackwater
02-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Isn't the MJT the one that fits into a fixture on the side of a receiver??? I forget, but it's designed to extend back near the shooter's eye. This is considered an asset in target rifles, particularly .22's. But for a 12 ga., and especially one to be used with heavier loads, there'd be a danger of getting a "Weatherby eye" if it extends back very far. Slug guns usually have some healthy recoil, and having a peep sight extracted from your eye probably isn't much fun. But I'm not sure of this, but it's something you'd want to know, if you don't already. And again, I may be wrong about this. My memory isn't what it used to be and I haven't messed with one of those sights, if it's the one I'm thinking of, in quite a while now. Brownell's would be a good place to ask for definitive answers on this one. FWIW? If anything???

AHicks1988
02-15-2017, 09:08 PM
I'll definitely be asking them. You bring up a good point about the adjustment. I'm just trying to find a good replacement for the Lyman 40SM. That's what I was told the receiver was factory tapped for. They are just difficult to find and expensive when you do find them.