PDA

View Full Version : Another Poll in the works...what questions should be asked about...HP's?

OS OK
02-09-2017, 09:59 AM
I have 40 questions already about using, casting, testing and molds...what is your specific interest in cast HP's ?

I'll run this post a while and see if there is any interest and input here...

ioon44
02-09-2017, 10:20 AM
I have 1 Lyman .44 HP mold and cast one bunch of bullets which worked OK. I don't have any more plans to cast any HP bullets, I just don't need them for target shooting.

02-09-2017, 10:23 AM
I WAS interested in the potential increased accuracy of a hard hollowpoint, that is, one that isn't designed to mushroom but is designed for accuracy. What I have discovered however is that for practical purposes, in 9mm at say 15 yards, it makes no discernible difference. Shooting Lee RN lead vs plated Berry RN vs Precision Delta full jacket hollow points, it just doesn't seem to matter. So, Lee solid round nose and TC nose are so crazy easy to cast and tumble lube without sizing, It's not worth messing with HP for handgun for me.

OS OK
02-09-2017, 10:42 AM
I WAS interested in the potential increased accuracy of a hard hollowpoint, that is, one that isn't designed to mushroom but is designed for accuracy. What I have discovered however is that for practical purposes, in 9mm at say 15 yards, it makes no discernible difference. Shooting Lee RN lead vs plated Berry RN vs Precision Delta full jacket hollow points, it just doesn't seem to matter. So, Lee solid round nose and TC nose are so crazy easy to cast and tumble lube without sizing, It's not worth messing with HP for handgun for me.

That's one of the concepts of 'match long range' projectiles...a small deep HP in the nose that helps to concentrate weight back from the nose towards the central area of weight in the midsection. It helps to take rotational influence away from the aerodynamically shaped front end.

HP's in match rounds is all about accuracy 'way down range'...not in having them be dual purpose...hunting/target shooting.

dverna
02-09-2017, 11:19 AM
I have a MiHec HP mold that I have never used. Bought it for self-defense and hunting bullets in a .357 Since that "brainstorm", I decided that hunting with the .357 made no sense when I have better options. And I use a Glock or Kahr for SD.

I would be interested in a HP mold that would run in a Master Caster, so I think aluminum is out and I prefer iron anway. Something in the 170 gr range .40 cal. Another on my wish list is a 65 gr .22 cal HP (with GC). It would be advantageous if the molds had interchangeable pins to experiment with different HP's.

I do not plan on powder coating so grooved is preferred. I would never PC pistol bullets due to the volume - a Star is so much more efficient.

If the .22 mold was designed as a PC, and it worked well in .223's, I would buy it and try BLL. If BLL was not enough, I would start PC'ing. Just another thought...if PC will work without a GC at 2500 fps, that would be a plus.

Don Verna

therealhitman
02-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I was considering posting a poll to find out what everyone's favorite poll was.

OS OK
02-09-2017, 11:54 AM
hollow point molds for a master caster (https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0SO806Ij5xY8k8AwaFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0b zU3amsxBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUkyQzNfMQRzZWM DcGl2cw--?p=hollow+point+molds+for+a+master+caster&fr2=piv-web&fr=aaplw#id=1&vid=d1b95bb0428a7d071d289d1d89f46727&action=view)

44man
02-09-2017, 03:44 PM
HP's have been at times more accurate. But they are not the answer for most use. I have lost interest long ago.

Smoke4320
02-09-2017, 04:00 PM
I was considering posting a poll to find out what everyone's favorite poll was.
it was that one , you remember it asked yea that one

Spector
02-09-2017, 06:52 PM
My interest in HP's would be for use in pistol/revolver only, and in human targets only, but would be expected to perform across the spectrum. That is, even if the hollow point does not open that retained weight will still be decent and not fragment on penetratable barriers. That it not give up too much in accuracy to non-HP cast boolits fired from a full sized pistol like a 1911, Glock 21, etc. That it expands thru heavy clothing....thru drywall, interior doors etc. These would probable require a hard copper enriched alloy at the base and lead for the wide HP'ed nose.

If I can't get that then I would rather have a hard cast boolit. I had Accurate make me a 230 grain smooth sided RF with a 0.32'' meplate. It feeds flawlessly in my XDS and I believe it will feed larger diameter meplates reliably as well.

I know I am thinking in terms of shallower HP cavities now.

Mike