PDA

View Full Version : arm s Marco help???!?!!!

Ericg86
02-09-2017, 01:05 AM
This rifle is a recent inheritance I would like to shoot it but first I want more information about it such as cleaning and if smokeless cartridges are ok I've done some searching but have not found much info on this make I think it's a 74 reproduction other than that I'm blank thanks for the help guys 187604187605187606187607

varsity07840
02-09-2017, 05:38 PM
I would't shoot smokeless in it.

Gtek
02-09-2017, 05:56 PM
If it were mine- Take the wood off and then soak metal inside and out with Kroil or 50/50 Acetone-Dexron. You do not want anything abrasive on case color, cotton rag rub only. Barrel- pretty heavy freckling in pic's, maybe #0000 wool to desired, blueing loss is a given but maybe polish and cold blue back. Clean everything up and lubricate and then find you some Holy Black and go make some smoke and enjoy it.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Is the maker Armi San Marco? No longer in business. Should not be difficult to look it up in a gun reference book and determine what the specifications were. Also, if it was proofed for smokeless there will be an Italian proof mark. This would most likely be a star in a circle (or perhaps a crown) over the letters PSF. The same star in a circle over PN indicates black powder. Both marks indicate proof for both powders.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Oooops! First post! Someone should have said, "Welcome to the Forum." :D

Ericg86
02-10-2017, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome and replies guys I have not seen any other markings besides what's pictured and all of my online research about the manufacturer is that their out of Business I haven't found anything in the way of specs

Boz330
02-10-2017, 11:19 AM
There were some of those Spaghetti Sharps that were very poor quality for the asking price. Not unsafe but soft parts that wore out quickly and sloppy fitting, oversize chambers, etc. I and a couple friends bought 3 of them (Pedretti I think) very cheap and I sold mine but the other 2 were
re-barreled and the parts were hardened and made into pretty nice rifles but it took a lot of work.
I would stay with BP but if you decide to use smokeless keep the loads down to the trapdoor style loads listed in the Lyman manual. I sure wouldn't try to hot rod it.

Bob

KCSO
02-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Actually the ASM's were not that bad of a gun, a little rough but very shootable. If the barrel is clean any black powder equivlant load will shoot just fine. The little carbine will recoil some with full loads. No Ruger/Marlin loads in this one though push a 405 bullet at about 1200 fps and all will be well. The springs are real heavy in these and I usually work them down and polish off the grind marks to get a 5 pound or so trigger and easier cocking. They do Not have a bushed firing pin so heavy loads will cause primer set back.

mazo kid
02-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on a nice inheritance! A little TLC will make the rifle presentable. I put a shim under the cocking lever spring on my Sharps rifles to take some of the tension off for easier cocking action. I would use black powder or subs for loading. If you can find verification, you may be able to load Trapdoor type smokeless loads, but work up slowly.

Ericg86
02-13-2017, 12:05 AM
I should mention I'm not a reloader lol I need something commercially available

Wayne Smith
02-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Eric, you need to find Buffalo Arms Corporation, they will have everything you need, answer all your questions, and leave your mouth drooling!

Freightman
02-19-2017, 09:56 AM
If you shoot Black don't need a press just use the same brass in the rifle and hand press the boolit in with your finger. Clean the brass prime and charge it and press simple. Oh yes no air space :drinks:

flint45
02-20-2017, 08:19 PM
If its a .45-70 it will safley shoot any of the standard factory loads.