PDA

View Full Version : Why would someone do this to a case mouth?

7Acres
02-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Came across these in a bag of once-fired brass I bought a few years ago.

tankgunner59
02-08-2017, 07:38 PM
That is a blank cartridge crimp. Someone sold you some blank rounds.

RogerDat
02-08-2017, 07:43 PM
yep blanks, don't recall where but I think I saw a blank crimper and/or blank brass for sale not that long ago.

7Acres
02-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Oh, interesting. What use would Rem .223 blanks have?

Trophy Tom
02-08-2017, 07:48 PM
In one of the die hard movies they gave Bruce some blanks[emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M-Tecs
02-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Funerals for civilian and combat practice with blank firing adapters for LE and military.

TNsailorman
02-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Funerals and other military ceremonies.

7Acres
02-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Film sets, and starting races did come to mind. Using an AR to start a foot race during high school Field Day would be hilarious!

7Acres
02-08-2017, 07:54 PM
So for funerals and such would you have a primer and powder? Or just a live primer?

M-Tecs
02-08-2017, 09:01 PM
So for funerals and such would you have a primer and powder? Or just a live primer?

Primer and a fast power.

William Yanda
02-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Everyone with a military background will recognize those as blanks. Probably with a negative cast as M-16's required a "blank adapter" to fire them in auto mode. Essentially a clamp which blocked the muzzle and made cleaning the rifle a difficult process.

William Yanda
02-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Training-to give realism without the lethality of projectiles.

Walkingwolf
02-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Blanks used to be used for some military training, guns had to be fitted with adapters.

JSnover
02-08-2017, 10:09 PM
I've seen enough 5.56 blanks but never a Rem 223. What's the headstamp?

Dan Cash
02-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Training, funeral firing squad.

runfiverun
02-08-2017, 10:40 PM
you can make 300 bo from them still.

in the old day's they used to give us piles of those and let us shoot each other in ummm 'house clearing' practice.

7Acres
02-09-2017, 09:38 AM
you can make 300 bo from them still.

in the old day's they used to give us piles of those and let us shoot each other in ummm 'house clearing' practice.

Interesting! Must have been a bad idea? I'm just thinking of my boys playing cops and robbers with blanks. :-) Not gonna happen. Sounds like it used to happen though.

Mk42gunner
02-09-2017, 09:58 AM
It is a heck of a lot better idea than having soldiers yelling "Bang, I shot you." at each other. Realism in training prevents bleeding in combat.

Robert

MUSTANG
02-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Blanks and Blank adapaters on Rifles and Machine guns; in conjunction with MILES gear ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integrated_laser_engagement_system) provided a level of realism in training, including an "No Arguments" on hits and kills.

7Acres
02-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Blanks and Blank adapaters on Rifles and Machine guns; in conjunction with MILES gear ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integrated_laser_engagement_system) provided a level of realism in training, including an "No Arguments" on hits and kills.

That is VERY cool!

7Acres
02-09-2017, 12:50 PM
So the blank adapter enables enough gas pressure to fully cycle?

M-Tecs
02-09-2017, 12:59 PM
So the blank adapter enables enough gas pressure to fully cycle?

Yup. Used them on M1's, M14's, M16's, M240's and M249's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCHHDFzbCg

Omega
02-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Yup, still being used in some training, though not as much as before since we opened those live fire ranges in the Middle East. Those can be used to make 300 Blackout, .277 Wolverine or other 5.56 case based wildcats.

skeettx
02-09-2017, 02:26 PM
New Year Night stroke of Midnight SALUTE :)

Mike

scarry scarney
02-09-2017, 04:10 PM
I use them (without blank adapter). I mix them in with live ammo into a students rifle to initiate a ar-15 weapon malfunction. The blank rounds are cheaper than snap caps.

rockrat
02-09-2017, 11:03 PM
With the right adapter, shoot golf balls a long, long ways:shock:

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-10-2017, 01:30 AM
Me and Rockrat. Cheaper than Dirt sells the muzzle attachment for about $30. Think a golf ball coming your way about 100mph MV...

rockshooter
02-10-2017, 01:54 AM
just be careful with blanks! they can cause some damage to skin that is too close!
Loren

Multigunner
02-10-2017, 10:05 AM
The movie industry has begun moving away from blanks fired in real rifles and pistols to CGI generated muzzle blasts and non functioning replica guns. You'll still see blank firing in films to some extent. Many times the muzzle blasts of belt fed machineguns are created using a propane fed in the bore of a demilled or replica gun. The sound of the shots being added to the sound track later.

When blanks or pyrotechnic devices are used in filming special insurance coverage and permission from fire marshalls are often necessary. Also several A-list actors have suffered hearing damage from blank firing.
Then there's the sad case of Brandon Lee who was killed when a loose bullet from a dummy cartridge remained stuck in the chamber throat of a revolver to be propelled with lethal force when a blank was later loaded in that chamber.
The actor John Eric Hexum was also killed when goofing off with a blank revolver. The blank cartridge blast shattered his skull.

gwpercle
02-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Don't try and reload them, the crimp never gets ironed out properly , at least not the 223 fired blank cases I tried to salvage. Someone later said blanks were loaded with defective or flawed cases not fit for military ammo, but I'm not sure that is true.
Gary

gwpercle
02-11-2017, 06:54 PM
The movie industry has begun moving away from blanks fired in real rifles and pistols to CGI generated muzzle blasts and non functioning replica guns. You'll still see blank firing in films to some extent. Many times the muzzle blasts of belt fed machineguns are created using a propane fed in the bore of a demilled or replica gun. The sound of the shots being added to the sound track later.

When blanks or pyrotechnic devices are used in filming special insurance coverage and permission from fire marshalls are often necessary. Also several A-list actors have suffered hearing damage from blank firing.
Then there's the sad case of Brandon Lee who was killed when a loose bullet from a dummy cartridge remained stuck in the chamber throat of a revolver to be propelled with lethal force when a blank was later loaded in that chamber.
The actor John Eric Hexum was also killed when goofing off with a blank revolver. The blank cartridge blast shattered his skull.

A friend of mine lost his son the same way. The gun was loaded with blanks , but he put the gun to the side of his head and pulled the trigger killing him instantly....I attended his funeral so I can tell you blanks are dangerous ! He hadn't learned rule #1 Treat every gun as loaded and don't point it at anything you don't want and intend to kill.
Gary

Shiloh
02-12-2017, 09:56 AM
These guys used to make the swage die. A phone call will confirm.

http://www.ch4d.com

Shiloh

dragon813gt
02-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Someone later said blanks were loaded with defective or flawed cases not fit for military ammo, but I'm not sure that is true.
Gary
That's false. It's the same quality and is run on the same machines as all the other Lake City brass. And as others have said you can use them to load wildcats that are based off the case. The cutting/trimming means the crimp is completely gone from the case.

Love Life
02-12-2017, 04:51 PM
It's what the government does to once fired brass to keep civilians from being able to reload it.

dragon813gt
02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Now I know who starts all the internet rumors :laugh:

Love Life
02-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Now I know who starts all the internet rumors :laugh:

I believe that the crimp is applied at Doe Run. This was done to keep jobs in the area after they stopped smelting lead.

dragon813gt
02-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I believe that the crimp is applied at Doe Run. This was done to keep jobs in the area after they stopped smelting lead.

Makes complete sense.

Taylor
02-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Yep blanks for a M16,.223,got a qt bag of them.Can't give'em away.We used them for FTX's (field training exercise) and funeral detail.

My unit was sent to Ft.Drum to evaluate the National Guards training.1 blank and 1 section of cleaning rod will kill a raccoon,it was good.Needed a break from c-rats.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-13-2017, 07:41 AM
That's false. It's the same quality and is run on the same machines as all the other Lake City brass. And as others have said you can use them to load wildcats that are based off the case. The cutting/trimming means the crimp is completely gone from the case.

You may well be right about these blanks or any blanks from Lake City, at least for the 5.56mm. era. But not, I think, more generally. Historically and around the world it has been common for blanks to be made from rejected batches of cases, and in wartime conditions even US ball cartridges have occasionally come through defective, so why wouldn't blanks?

The powder used in blanks is likely to be unsafe in any firearm, even pistols and shotguns. General Hatcher describes firearm blow-ups resulting from assuming EC Blank powder to be the same as the safe and popular EC shotgun powder. Blanks designed for close-quarter combat training should be safe at ranges of a few feet - no inches - but plenty of blanks made around the world contain fibre plugs or even wooden bullets which wouldn't be.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Colonel La Garde the military surgeon tells how a high proportion of tetanus cases in the US came from the use of blank-cartridge pistols on the fourth of July. Experiments proved that he could also produce anthrax infection via bullet, powder or wadding, and yet those tetanus cases didn't depend on that. Horses are the main vector of tetanus, and in those days traces of horse-manure dust were on most outer clothing. He also describes how a large number of Russian soldiers in the Russo-Japanese War contracted skin anthrax (nowhere near as bad as the inhalation version, but still anthrax) from bullets passing through jackets made from the skins of infected sheep.

Both of those infections are probably a lot rarer nowadays, and yet if I experienced any sort of burn or abrasion from a blank, especially through clothing, I would disinfect it as quickly as possible, and get an anti-tetanus injection.

woodbutcher
02-13-2017, 10:39 PM
:D One use not mentioned for blanks.Launch rifle grenades.Do not attempt this from your shoulder.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Ballistics in Scotland
02-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Don't try and reload them, the crimp never gets ironed out properly , at least not the 223 fired blank cases I tried to salvage. Someone later said blanks were loaded with defective or flawed cases not fit for military ammo, but I'm not sure that is true.
Gary

Neck annealing might help. I would want to be careful which blanks to use, if I was shortening them beyond the crimp for a shorter high-pressure round. But I can't see how anybody could go wrong (apart from slightly reduced capacity) in using them to make .380 Auto cases.

pmer
02-14-2017, 09:19 AM
We used those blanks with the muzzle adapter for training along with MILES gear. Kinda like laser tag, we'd have something like a vest on and rifles would have a box that transmits a signal to the vest for hits or misses.

tankgunner59
02-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I remember the MILES gear. Wow that was a long time ago. I hated using the blank adapters, cleaning the M16's took forever. Those blank cartridges are probably longer than service ammo brass. Is it possible to load it?

tankgunner59
03-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Take the crimp out of one, trim to length and see if they are re-loadable. you may be able to reload them any way,