PDA

View Full Version : Vickerman die or How to live and prosper with Periferal Nuropathy

omgb
02-08-2017, 07:08 PM
So, I have PN, pretty bad. Numbness, limited movement and poor grip are the major impediments aside from knife like pain on an on and off basis. The pain fades and returns but the other **** I mentioned only gets worse with time.

So, you can appreciate that I love finding things that work around those limitations and the Vickerman die is one of those. I bought it last week off of a gentleman on this site. I've never used one before. My take is that most folks use them to get better concentricity while seating bullets. That seems like a smart idea. I have no doubt the die will do just that. For me however, it's the port in the side that captures all of my love and attention. The Vickerman die has a cut away side that lets you drop the bullet into the die. Then as the ram brings the shell up, it has a sleeve that rides up and a nose cup that limits that ride. At the top of it's rise, the case continues up and over the base of the bullet. When the ram is lowered you have a properly seated bullet that then goes on to the crimping die. Slicker than snot. I can hold a bunch of bullets in my left hand and plop them like peanuts into the die making bullet feeding a snap. Think about it, if you use a bullet feeder die that feeds from a tube you still have to pick up and drop the bullets into the tube. This way you just drop them into the slot. Since it's above the press you don't have to struggle with keeping your fingers out of the way or trying to hold the bullet perpendicular to the case as the rising ram blocks your view. Mine is in 30 cal. I have to have one in .22 for the .223. These things are great! Oh, an on the Hornady LNL, the bullet seating die mounts on the second to the last station leaving loads of finger room to manipulate things.[smilie=w:

Czech_too
02-08-2017, 07:26 PM
RCBS has something similar to the Vickerman, their competition seating die, though the cutout isn't nearly as large as the Vickerman. Spendy $$ too.
I had read about the Vickerman dies some decades ago but actually came across, and bought, my first one a couple of years ago at an estate sale.

308Jeff
02-08-2017, 07:40 PM
RCBS has something similar to the Vickerman, their competition seating die, though the cutout isn't nearly as large as the Vickerman. Spendy $$ too.
I had read about the Vickerman dies some decades ago but actually came across, and bought, my first one a couple of years ago at an estate sale.

I have the RCBS GMM seaters in 223 and 308. They are worth every penny, IMHO.

rda72927
02-08-2017, 11:32 PM
I have the RCBS Competition Seating die and ordered all the different calibers for it. Change out is a easy. Got mine because seating 22-250 flat base was a pain, the widow works so great...

Bullwolf
02-09-2017, 12:58 AM
Here's a pic of the Vickerman dies, in case you're having a hard time visualizing how they work.

http://vickermandies.com/images/products/HomeDies.png

Guessing it works like the Easy-Seater straight line bullet seating die does.
(cutaway on the left)

http://www.meachamrifles.com/ES_cutaway_250x376_200dpi.jpg http://www.meachamrifles.com/EASY_SEATER_ON_RCBS_325x500_200dpi.jpg

Or the RCBS Competition seat die.
http://rcbs.com/getattachment/Products/Dies-by-Category/Competition/Competition-Full-Length-Die-Set/rc_competitionrifledies.jpg.aspx?maxsidesize=700

Neat window for boolit insertion on all of the above.

- Bullwolf

runfiverun
02-09-2017, 01:27 AM
ponsess warren makes a simplified version with just a window, replaceable sliding sleeves and different top punches.
it isn't micrometer turned or anything fancy you just set it up like a regular seating die.

Negster
02-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Herters also made a similar die and its usually cheaper then the Vickerman and RCBS. They pop up on ebay every now and then. Herters Automatic reloading dies.

Maven
02-09-2017, 09:16 AM
CH-4D also made a Vickerman style seating die with different nose punches & inserts for different calibers. It uses the same die body though and, more importantly, works very well!

Ickisrulz
02-09-2017, 10:08 AM
http://vickermandies.com/

Taterhead
02-09-2017, 11:55 PM
I agree with 308 Jeff that the RCBS Gold Medal Match seating die is great. They look a lot like the "Competition" seating die, but the GMM is the one you want. Both have windows. The GMM die is suitable for progressive loading, and it will hold the bullet in place without the need for the case to be raised in place. The micrometer adjuster is a great feature too.

At total boon do loading the tiny 55 grain 224 projectiles.

MT Chambers
02-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Most all cast bullet (rifle) reloading can be much more precise with Vickerman dies, that greatly limit run-out.

tred1956
02-11-2017, 01:54 AM
Started using Vickerman dies when I started shooting sub calibers. Just was a lot easier with 17 caliber 20 grain bullets and 58 year old hands. I am also a diabetic and while I don't have neuropathy in my hands yet, they are not near as nimble as they once were. As long as handload I will own Vickerman dies. Like the OP I love them.

Safe shooting
Doug

.22-10-45
02-12-2017, 02:24 PM
I just ordered one for the .25 Ackley Krag Improved. Even though Tom said he would have to re-machine sleeve to 40* for my case..there was no extra charge. Very nice people to work with.

omgb
02-12-2017, 02:52 PM
You aren't going to like this......That lack of nimbleness is the onset of PN. I didn't see it coming either. Now I have to use two hands to move a cookie sheet from the oven to the counter top. Grabbing small objects like bullets requires concentration. I have some advice....Control that blood sugar! It's all that stands between you and a lot of misery. I'm most likely telling you something you already know but hey, If my saying this helps you stay in control then it was a good thing. I wish I had been more disciplined.

Started using Vickerman dies when I started shooting sub calibers. Just was a lot easier with 17 caliber 20 grain bullets and 58 year old hands. I am also a diabetic and while I don't have neuropathy in my hands yet, they are not near as nimble as they once were. As long as handload I will own Vickerman dies. Like the OP I love them.

Safe shooting
Doug

LUBEDUDE
02-14-2017, 10:28 AM
You aren't going to like this......That lack of nimbleness is the onset of PN. I didn't see it coming either. Now I have to use two hands to move a cookie sheet from the oven to the counter top. Grabbing small objects like bullets requires concentration. I have some advice....Control that blood sugar! It's all that stands between you and a lot of misery. I'm most likely telling you something you already know but hey, If my saying this helps you stay in control then it was a good thing. I wish I had been more disciplined.

Ive had PN for 25 yrs due to too much big bore shooting, especially 44 magnums.

I drop stuff all of the time without realizing it. I once threw away my car keys because I was carrying a lot of items in my hands after getting home. I went to throw away drink cups and dropped the keys too without knowing. Of course it HAD to be on trash night! Next morning the trash was picked up and I couldn't find my keys. DOH!

Now I have your keep telling myself, only ONE thing per hand.

Nuerontin/Gabapentin changed my life as far as the excruciating pain was concerned.
Lyrica will do the same. It's a cleaned up version of Gabapentin.