PDA

View Full Version : Uberti

holsterguy
02-07-2017, 08:29 PM
So, lately I've had a real "hankerin" to get a Cimarron model p in 44-40. Wanting to replace a Pietta great western 2 I got from EMF. This gun makes a better paperweight than a shooter. Rotten accuracy from the get go. Measured and came up with a .429 bore and .435+ on the throats.
Got hold of Cimarron and they are backordered til prbably the end of this summer. Are they worth the wait? I guess there's not a real big rush, I've got other toys to play with.

shoot-n-lead
02-07-2017, 08:37 PM
If you like the SAA style...and I love'em...yes, they are worth the wait.

My favorite handgun is a Model P in .44 Special.

holsterguy
02-07-2017, 08:41 PM
So what's different with theirs? I've heard a lot of different opinions.

shoot-n-lead
02-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Well, base gun is made by Uberti...so there is no difference there...but, the Cimarron is finished better, inside and out, than the Uberti. Although, the Uberti's are fine guns, in there on right and I have difficulty telling the difference in them and the Cimarron.

Why do you have a hankering for a Cimarron...if you have to ask?

holsterguy
02-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Mostly that I've heard a lot of good about them.
I have a Cimarron nickel 38-40 and really like it, but have never handled a cattleman tocompare it to. I do know it's a lot nicer than a gw 2.

Leadmelter
02-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Cimarron P2 45LC +1

HABCAN
02-07-2017, 09:40 PM
VERY surprised your Pietta is a ***..............ours here are sumpin' wunnerful.

holsterguy
02-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Could be the age? Bought it around 2005. Returned it to EMF when I measured the throats, and they agreed it wasn't right. They ordered a new cylinder and it was the same. They said they called Pietta and it was within their specs. Maybe QC is better now?

bedbugbilly
02-07-2017, 10:20 PM
I have a Uberti Bisley in 357 and a Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt. When I was thinking about getting them, I asked the fellow at the GS that I haunt (they have been in business since the 1930s) about the Cimarrons, the Taylors and the Ubertis. There reply was that they had ordered from all three places for customers and when it came down to brass tacks, they could see no difference in the three. Some offer models that the others don't but quality wise - they said it was a wash. So, I ordered mine from Uberti and was more than pleased when they came in. Both are beautiful revolvers, great fit and finish and putting those things aside - they both are fantastic shooters. I have a Ruger New Vaquero in 357 that I rarely shoot anymore as I like my Bisley so well - and that gets a diet of my reloads in 38 Colt Short, Long and Special. My 45 Colt Cattleman is a 7 1/2" barrel and it is such a pleasure to shoot with my cast. The maximum range I shoot with it is 50 yards and it is a much better shooter than I am.

I think everyone has their own preferences whether it be Uberti, Taylor or Cimarron but all three are Ubertis. The actions mine are excellent. So . . . if you are anticipating a long wait on the one you want, you might just want to check to see the availability of it from Taylor or Uberti - then decide if the wait is worth it or not for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Green Frog
02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
You might check with Taylor's & Co for their Uberti offerings. I would put their Smokewagon Deluxe version up against any of the ones mentioned. It comes with a spring kit and a hand tuning job done at their (stateside) gunsmith shop. My 4 1/2" in 45 is about unbelievable!

Importantly, they keep a good stock most times of what they catalog! :)

Froggie

Walkingwolf
02-08-2017, 09:49 AM
VERY surprised your Pietta is a ***..............ours here are sumpin' wunnerful.

I have a Pietta 1873, and it has been flawless.

Walkingwolf
02-08-2017, 09:51 AM
You might check with Taylor's & Co for their Uberti offerings. I would put their Smokewagon Deluxe version up against any of the ones mentioned. It comes with a spring kit and a hand tuning job done at their (stateside) gunsmith shop. My 4 1/2" in 45 is about unbelievable!

Importantly, they keep a good stock most times of what they catalog! :)

Froggie

I believe Taylor's uses Pietta for their 1873's, my Taylor 1873 is made by Pietta.

2ndAmendmentNut
02-08-2017, 10:10 AM
I own a Cimarron Frontier (made by Pietta) a Cimarron Model P (made by Uberti) and just a standard Uberti Cattleman. If Cimarron finishes them better than a standard variant I can't tell the difference. The Uberti Cattleman is just as pretty as the two Cimarrons. I do prefer the Model P over the other two. It seems to be slightly more accurate, and I like how the hammer doesn't have the silly safety block like the Cattleman does. In my opinion the Cimarron model P is worth the slight premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bent Ramrod
02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Cimarrons are very nicely done. The lettering style is reminiscent of the old Colt's, you can order a large selection of different finishes, the Blackpowder frame, with the little set screw and the Bullseye ejector, is an option (which I prefer to the spring loaded cross button and half-moon) and the accuracy is second to none.

My 7-1/2" barrel .32-20 with standard finish shoots like a rifle. I guess it was In Stock because it showed up at the Gun Store right away. The Mandatory Waiting Period took much longer.

I waited three months for the Fire Blue finish on cylinder and barrel for my 4-3/4" .45 Colt. Not as wear-resistant as the standard bluing, but it does look Cool. I had other guns to shoot in the meantime. Worth it as far as I was concerned.

The only Piettas I have experience with are the cap & ball revolvers. They did have some teething problems at the beginning, but seem to be sincerely willing to make their customers happy and the QC on current ones is very good. They are also courageous enough to offer some of the more obscure designs. A friend ordered his from Cabela's, which had a no-questions return-and-replace policy. He had to send his first Starr single action back, but the next one was fine.

johnson1942
02-08-2017, 01:10 PM
just got done shooting 61 rounds of handloads through my uberti 1871-1872 open top 45 long colt. the snow banks are huge in my yard so i went out on the deck and punched a hole in one at about 18 yards and kept the group in that hole or close to it off hand. all 61 rounds would have done the job in a real gunfight. i dont shoot slow, i shoot to be good at it and fast at it. my uberti colt is a tackdriver. i did redue the forcing cone to 11 degrees and put a wire spring in the trigger spring. made sure the cylinders were all able to pass a bullet through them that i use to reload and polished the cylinders. its reliable, is beautiful to look at and drives tacks. have 3 other ubertis also and they are the same.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-08-2017, 01:29 PM
I've got 1 Pietta .45, 1 Taylors .32-20, 1 Uberti .32-20 1 Uberti .45, 1 Cimarron .44-40, 1 Uberti .44-40, 1 Uberti .22/.22 Mag. and no complaints about any of them.

jimb16
02-08-2017, 06:33 PM
I've got a Uberti 1873 cattleman in .45 colt. It is an excellent shooter. Not my first SAA, but definitely my favorite.

Harry O
02-08-2017, 07:49 PM
You are lucky that you did not get a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40. They were worse than you describe. The chamber would not take any larger than a 0.427" bullet. The throat of the cylinder was 0.424". The barrel was 0.430". So the bullet had to neck down in the throat and expand when it got to the barrel. It did not do that at all well. It could have been remanufactured from the parts Ruger sold, but I moved on to the 38-40 instead. I have had absolutely no problems with mismatched dimensions in my 38-40's. Every one I have bought is accurate.

Virginia John
02-09-2017, 10:23 AM
I had a Beretta Stampede in 45LC made by Uberti and it was a great gun. Best action straight from the factory.

2ndAmendmentNut
02-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Seeing as this thread is worthless without pictures, here is a picture of my three Italian SAA clones. Top with the stag grips is a Cimarron model P in 45colt made by Uberti, in the middle is a Uberti Cattleman in 45colt, and at the bottom is a Cimarron Frontier in 357mag made by Pietta.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/5f748d426e3ffa657781f35f905e8f82.jpg

Close up of the model P.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/70dfcbab8241985a9a80770eaba657ee.jpg

Close up of the Cattleman.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/e519f11f9b07144cdd4c8a3b74cbbaa6.jpg

Close up of the Frontier.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/79a577c9550ef69c13006ee3cf84caf7.jpg

Picking out the prettiest between the three would be like the Judgement of Paris.

All shoot well, but the Model P has the best trigger. The Frontier has the smoothest action, but the heaviest trigger. The Cattleman is right in between the other two as far as action and trigger are concerned.

So far the only thing I have done to all three is swap out the base pins with some from Belt Mountain. I think all could be equal with a trigger/action job, and I wouldn't turn down a good deal on either.

Love Life
02-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Are the frames Case Color Hardened or are they chemically colored?

OlDeuce
02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
187791 THIS IS NEXT ON MY LIST!!!!! Ol Deuce

2ndAmendmentNut
02-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Are the frames Case Color Hardened or are they chemically colored?

I believe the case colors are real and certainly better than the chemical colors that Ruger tried for a while. I haven't been able to find anything official from Uberti, but the surface of the guns are hardened and the colors are reasonably durable.

jimb16
02-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Uberti does warn you to got easy on the case hardened frames. They do mention in their info packets that the color is NOT very durable on many of their old style finish firearms because they do use the old methods.

holsterguy
02-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Well, got hold of Taylors, and they have it in stock. Very nice people to deal with (by email, anyway). Answered my questions, I assume, as soon as they opened in the morning. Got hold of my FFL, and he should have it Monday or Tuesday. Did find out the ones they have have the two position base pin safety and not the goofy little button on the hammer, and their parts dept. sent me an email that the cylinder mouths measure .430.