PDA

View Full Version : Guide gun questions

crabo
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I was shooting my brother-in-laws 45/70 guide gun. It was really hard to load the boolits in the tube. I was afraid I would tear up my thumbnail. Is there a way to lighten up the loading gate? How about cutting down the magazine spring?

Also, how does the porting affect using cast boolits? Does that cause any problems?

Thanks,

Crabo

454PB
07-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Maybe you're not aware of this, but you only have to push the last round completely through the gate. Insert the first round until the rim is at the gate, then insert each of the following rounds in the same manner. Only the last round has to be fully pushed past the gate.

BABore
07-01-2008, 07:35 AM
I had no problems with the ports on my 450 Marlin GG. Got a little lead/lube blast residue on the front sight, but that was it. I switched to an unported bbl and couldn't tell the difference in recoil. Maybe a slight increase in muzzle jump.

6pt-sika
07-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I have at least one Guide Gun in every caliber they have ever factory chambered it for . And to be honest I have never noticed a problem with loading any of them !

Now I will say that the 35 REM and the 450 Marlin do seem to go in a little easier then the 444 and 45-70 !

crabo
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Maybe you're not aware of this, but you only have to push the last round completely through the gate. Insert the first round until the rim is at the gate, then insert each of the following rounds in the same manner. Only the last round has to be fully pushed past the gate.

Duh! That makes sense.

I know now why I got in that group buy for the 45/70 pb when I didn't have a gun for it. I have to get one of these.

Crabo