PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Help...

dk17hmr
06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a friends Ruger 77 all weather with the paddle stock. The problem is it is a long action (270) and I cant seem to find any type of scope configuration that will work out and be comfortable

What we really need is a one peice scope base with weaver cuts. It seems I cant get the scope back far enough for a natural weld point with proper eye relief.

Anyone have suggestions?

I have 2 scopes, different bases, and different mounts, including factory rings, and I just cant get anything to work.

pietro
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Ruger, and other companies, make offset rings that fit the Ruger dovetails. You might need double offset rings (both rings offset to the rear) - especially if you're trying to mount a compact or short-tube scope.

Another alternative - which I had to do when the very first Aimpoints were introduced many years ago - was to find the long Weaver base that's thicker on one end (I don't recall the base number), have the bottom(s) machined flat, and the top of the Ruger dovetails D/T'd for one mount screw in each dovetail.
This arrangement held the Aimpoint on a lightweight .308 M-77 for several years before I sold the outfit to someone that drooled for it.

JIMinPHX
06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
When I set up the 30-06 version of that rifle about 20 years ago, I went with a scope that had long eye relief. They way the 06 made that lightweight little rifle jump back upon firing made that long relief a welcomed option. I think that I used the stock Ruger rings that came with it.

fourarmed
07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Look for an old Texas-made Weaver K4 or K6. They are long enough for what you need.