PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550

Kawriverrat
02-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Called Dillon today to buy a 550 press. I was getting the press, extra primer tube $7.99 & caliber conversion kit for 38/357 $46. The total was $755 for a press that list on the sight for $413.
When I asked about price for just basic 550c press that list on the sight for $274 I was told it was well over $400. I was told the price on the ready to go 550 included the stand
{ which I dont need } & price of other things I thought were to be included. Told him I would pass for now.

I'm not complaining just wondering what I may be missing here....Jeff

r1kk1
02-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Called Dillon today to buy a 550 press. I was getting the press, extra primer tube $7.99 & caliber conversion kit for 38/357 $46. The total was $755 for a press that list on the sight for $413.
When I asked about price for just basic 550c press that list on the sight for $274 I was told it was well over $400. I was told the price on the ready to go 550 included the stand
{ which I dont need } & price of other things I thought were to be included. Told him I would pass for now.

I'm not complaining just wondering what I may be missing here....Jeff

The BL 550 is 274. The 550c is 413 bucks. Two different presses. BL is Basic Loader. No priming or powder measure. The 550c has everything minus dies. The optional roller handle and stand are great additions to my bench.

Take care

r1kk1

Kawriverrat
02-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Yes, I understand they are 2 different presses as they come. The 550c list for $413 but with just an extra primer tube & caliber conversion I was told the final price was $755. A big difference from the stated price of $413. Dont know how the double post happened.

dragon813gt
02-06-2017, 09:48 PM
You don't have to buy any of the accessories. That's why the price was so high. Tell them exactly what you want.

Plate plinker
02-06-2017, 09:52 PM
do it online if you can.

dragon813gt
02-06-2017, 09:53 PM
I just added a 550C, w/ the 357 caliber conversion, and the pack of extra primer tubes(2 small/ 2 Large). Price was $484.90 plus shipping.

Drew P
Grafs is a good place to buy Dillon stuff also.

Kawriverrat
OK, so it was just a bit of salesmanship taking place. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks, Jeff

LUBEDUDE
02-07-2017, 04:06 AM
OK, so it was just a bit of salesmanship taking place. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks, Jeff

It's not always salesmanship. They get so many new customer calls. The customer is a first timer for a Dillon, they may be a bit confused and ignorant about Dillon products. The Dillon guy on the phone knows what MOST people want/need by everyone else's purchases. So they try to guide you through the add on's. Sounds like this guy did not "guide" very well or may have been inpatient. He may have gone from point A to Z and skipped Points B,F,L,R,and W.

In over 30 years in dealing with Dillon I never had any "selling" done to me. It's always been order taking or consulting.

Kevin Rohrer
02-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Yes, I understand they are 2 different presses as they come. The 550c list for $413 but with just an extra primer tube & caliber conversion I was told the final price was $755. A big difference from the stated price of $413. Dont know how the double post happened.

Sounds like a second powder measure plus extras was thrown in.

Go to their site, figure out what you want, and order it there.

And yes, the roller handle and stand are worth it once you get started.

daboone
02-07-2017, 08:36 AM
...And yes, the roller handle and stand are worth it once you get started.

Why?
I put one of my granddaughter's socks over the ball handle and that makes it slick and smooth when operating. The stand would make the press to high to be comfortable to operate as well as making it difficult to see powder in the case.

dragon813gt
02-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Why?
I put one of my granddaughter's socks over the ball handle and that makes it slick and smooth when operating. The stand would make the press to high to be comfortable to operate as well as making it difficult to see powder in the case.

Everyone has benches built at different heights. While the strong mount may not work for you it will work for others. Then you have Inline Fabrication that has mounts at different heights. I'm not a fan of roller handles but many like them. Both are about personal preference.

Kevin Rohrer
02-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Why?

I used the ball handle for at least 10-years, and the press eventually developed an alignment problem due to the main shaft rubbing unevenly. The Dillon guy I talked to said it was due to the angle I put on the roller arm as I cycled it applying force in differing directions, which put stress on the arm and shaft.

TenTea
02-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Brian Enos is a great firm to purchase Dillon, too.
I've had great luck with them and they are responsive to questions.
http://brianenos.com/dillon/
(http://brianenos.com/dillon/)Have also placed online orders with Dillon proper and had no difficulties, although their shipping is higher than others.

dragon813gt
02-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Brian Enos is a great firm to purchase Dillon, too.
I've had great luck with them and they are responsive to questions.
http://brianenos.com/dillon/
(http://brianenos.com/dillon/)Have also placed online orders with Dillon proper and had no difficulties, although their shipping is higher than others.

Brian stopped selling Dillon equipment. I believe one of the forum members has picked up in his place but I don't have any links.

Kawriverrat
02-07-2017, 10:17 PM
It's not always salesmanship. They get so many new customer calls. The customer is a first timer for a Dillon, they may be a bit confused and ignorant about Dillon products. The Dillon guy on the phone knows what MOST people want/need by everyone else's purchases. So they try to guide you through the add on's. Sounds like this guy did not "guide" very well or may have been inpatient. He may have gone from point A to Z and skipped Points B,F,L,R,and W.

In over 30 years in dealing with Dillon I never had any "selling" done to me. It's always been order taking or consulting.

I think this is a very reasonable explanation of what might have taken place. Also I'll be building a small compact loading bench when the press arrives so I wont be needing the mounting stand.
Also a friend I called who knows how I set up to reload in the past. He brought up some points I hadnt really given much thought. Love the 550 been loading on a loaner from this friend for a few months.
However I wont be getting a Dillon. My new press is due to arrive tomorrow....Jeff

shooterg
02-07-2017, 11:04 PM
The Dillon 550 is the second best thing my wife ever gave me....

USMC87
02-08-2017, 12:07 AM
I bought my Dillon press from Grafs and am very satisfied.

LabGuy
02-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Brian stopped selling Dillon equipment. I believe one of the forum members has picked up in his place but I don't have any links.

I believe Brian recommends krakenpop.com

LittleLebowski
02-08-2017, 12:16 PM
I believe Brian recommends krakenpop.com

Correct. https://krakenpop.com/apps/quick-shop

caseguy
02-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Bought my Dillion 550 b years ago , and it was worth every penny. when I had a issue setting it up for the first time I called their help line . They helped me set it up , i was on the phone with them for 1/2 hour. they are great to deal with.... They also have a great Q/A section online.

fredj338
02-16-2017, 06:19 PM
You obviously got the wrong guy or asked the wrong question. The basic press doesn't come with a stand or bullet tray or roller handle or dies. It does come with one conversion; shell plate & powder funnel, as well as one tool head.