PDA

View Full Version : Remington M722 Extractor

beagle
03-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Got a Model 722 Remington in .257 Roberts and the extractor's gone south on me.

These seem to be impossible to find beacuse of the age.

I've heard that a Model 700 extractor will work. Anyone have any experience with this?/beagle

Scrounger
03-28-2005, 12:50 PM
An old model 700 extractor will work. The original 700s used same extractor as 721-722-725. They were held in place with a rivit. Sometime in the 80s Remington started using a new one that was not rivited in place, it just slides in and its own spring pressure holds it in place. Maybe Numrich has some of the old ones, or a gunsmith that has been in business a long time.

carpetman
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Beagle--If you dont find a source and fix for your extractor problem,let me know. I'd bet heavily my gunsmith/friend can take care of it,even if it means building a new extractor.

beagle
03-31-2005, 11:31 PM
Scrounger. So I'm looking for the old (rivet type) of Model 700 extractor?

The old worn one on the M722 just snaps into place with no rivet. I've tried one of the new M700 "snap ins" with no luck. Looks like it wants to fit but not quite right./beagle

I picked up the new type from Brownell's. Maybe they have the old type as well.

Thanks./beagle

Scrounger
04-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Scrounger. So I'm looking for the old (rivet type) of Model 700 extractor?

The old worn one on the M722 just snaps into place with no rivet. I've tried one of the new M700 "snap ins" with no luck. Looks like it wants to fit but not quite right./beagle

I picked up the new type from Brownell's. Maybe they have the old type as well.

Thanks./beagle
Heck, I'm no expert, just trying to quote someone who did know about those. Also remember talking to a Remington Factory repair technician. He said that you usually had "to play with the extractors a little to get them to work right". I sent the bolt in and let him "play with it".

fourarmed
04-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Beagle,
I own several 721s, which have the same extractor. I have looked into this, and the gunsmiths I talked to (one was at Remington) were not encouraging. As you know, the 721/722 part is not riveted. I was told that it can't be converted to the riveted unit as metal is missing in places it is needed. I haven't personally tried the newer unriveted 700 extractor, but I have heard from several sources that it can't be made to work for the same reason as above. Now "can't" takes in a lot of territory. If those parts were a little cheaper, I might try them anyway, but so far I haven't. There are persistent rumors that new ones are being made, but every time I look at the Gun Parts website, they don't have them. Some years back I found a couple at a small parts dealer in Maine and bought them. The one I installed had been pretty rusty, and it works, but just barely. The other one is under armed guard in my safe.

As many of those excellent rifles as there are around, you would think somebody would produce the part. The Sako extractor installation is always an option, but I would prefer to avoid it. I don't think it's an improvement, and it definitely isn't reversible.

beagle
04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, if you find an extra anywhere or a source for remanufactured ones, post for me.

I've tried a M700 rivetless and that didn't work at all. Looks like it might but I had no luck and ended up shimming the old one a bit and it works so-so.

I even considered the Sako route but that's a pretty expensive proposition.

When you look at that extractor, it's a fairly complex little devil. The extractor lip has to be hardened and the remainder has to be tempered so it will spring to a certain degree. Not a good design on Remington's part.

Oh well, guess I'll keep looking and if you see a soulution, let me know.

I do have a spare M788 .30/30 extractor ratholed if you know anyone that's hurting for one./beagle

wheezengeezer
04-11-2005, 10:21 AM
i have a 722 in 222 rem that needs an extractor.i am very interested in a solution that anyone comes up with.

fourarmed
04-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Beagle, it occurs to me that if the problem is just the depth of the groove (as far as the 700 rivetless extractor fitting) it might be possible simply to build up the bottom of the groove where necessary with J-B Weld or something similar. Do you have a theory why the new extractor didn't work? My only 700 has the riveted extractor, so I've never looked at one of the others.

carpetman
04-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Wheezengeezer---You have a 722 in .22 that needs an extractor and are interested in a solution. On a Roadrunner cartoon seems I saw an extractor solution--you just add water. I think it was made by,ofcourse,Acme. Maybe run a search of Acme. If you find one let us know.

beagle
04-12-2005, 09:28 AM
The new extractor didn't work for me. Both are not working as it seems to seat too far back in the groove in the bolt head. This allows the rim to slip over.

That's a nasty part to build. The extractor itself must be hard and the remainder which is thin must have spring so that it can be installed and removed and still expand to fit the groove.

I tried shimming the back with some "beagle" tape and it worked for maybe 100 rounds.

Think I'll order another M700 rivetless extractor and have a friend build up the back a bit with some TIG welding and then work it down. That may be the solution.

Your idea of the epoxy has merit but again, I'm looking for a permanent solution. If this works, it should work for a .222 as well. I had one of them once and had probelms also. A good cleaning fixed that one but in this case, I'm not having any luck./beagle

fourarmed
04-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Beagle, when you say the new 700 extractor seated too far back in the groove, did you mean too big in diameter or too far from the front of the bolt?

wheezengeezer
04-13-2005, 01:49 PM
the extractor on dads gun was damaged by a misread powder scale.the bolt had to be pounded open.the base of the case had to be pried out of the bolt.dad cant see very good, but i hate to tell the guy that taught me 45 years ago to quit reloading.might be best if i did.would like to buy a complete bolt for a 222 rem if i could.

fourarmed
04-13-2005, 02:01 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think I will order one of the 700 extractors and fool with it. I just checked, and Gun Parts has them for $13. It might be instructive to examine one next to an unused 721 extractor.

RayO
04-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I know i'm a little late on this post,but I had to research it.I have 2 722's and 2 721's.Fortunetly,I addressed this issue when extractors were available and bought a few spares.I knew I had read somewhere about this problem.It was in Brownells Gunsmith Kinks.It says"Rem.721/722 extractors are no longer available.but the new 7400/7600 series pump and autoloading rifles use a similar type extractor.By thinning out the7400/7600 extractor to fit the recess in the bolt head and adjusting its tension,you can usually put these rifles back into service".I hope this is of some help to those who have this problem.

fourarmed
04-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Ray, that is great information, but I don't understand it all. Are you sure that is the exact quote? Which volume of Gunsmith Kinks is it from?

RayO
04-19-2005, 07:24 AM
I made an error in copying the infomation.It has been corrected.It came out of Gunsmith Kinks #4,page 342.I apologize for the error.

fourarmed
04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
OK, Ray, thanks very much. I plan to order some of these while they're still available. Now if I can just find a bottle of extracter thinner. Do you suppose Brownell's sells THAT?

wills
04-19-2005, 11:26 AM
the extractor on dads gun was damaged by a misread powder scale.the bolt had to be pounded open.the base of the case had to be pried out of the bolt.dad cant see very good, but i hate to tell the guy that taught me 45 years ago to quit reloading.might be best if i did.would like to buy a complete bolt for a 222 rem if i could.

How about a digital scale and magnifying visor?

beagle
04-19-2005, 07:22 PM
It allows the extractor lip to go too far back in the groove....makes the diameter too big./beagle

fourarmed
04-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Beagle and Ray. Sounds as if the 7400/7600 unit is thicker (or wider) than the one for the 700. I sent off an order for 3 of them yesterday.

beagle
04-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Rayo...I appreciate that tip. Worth it to give it a try. Thanks./beagle

fourarmed
04-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I got the 7400 extractors from Gun Parts, and compared them to the original ones I have stashed. The 7400s are definitely going to take some mods. They are much thicker than the originals, and shorter as well. One thing this makes me wonder about is modifying the bolt to fit the extractor rather than the other way around. I have been told by at least one gunsmith that there is not enough metal in the 721 bolt to take the later model extractors. I wonder now if that is true. Measurements to follow.

fourarmed
04-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Here's what the mike shows: the 721 extractors are about .016" thick and encompass at least 3/4s of the circumference of the bolt face. The 7400 extractors are a good .010" thicker, and apparently don't go more than halfway around the boltface. The 7400 units have a bend at the ends that forms lugs that could fit into a recess to prevent them from moving circumferentially.

Beagle, can you check the similar measurements on that non-riveted 700 extractor?

beagle
04-28-2005, 01:48 PM
I'll try and pull that extractor in a day or so. Kind of laid up right now.

That sounds about right from the M700 extractor that I tried which according to Brownells fits the 7400 also.

It was definitely not as big in diameter and had the end tabs.

Now, I kind of wonder if that made any difference. Guess I need to order another one up and take a look at it with thoughts toward modification rather than getting pissed because it didn't drop right in.

I guess the position of the extractor doesn't make too much difference as long as it extracts all right.

The problem is that dinky little piece is so thin, you can't do much with it in the way of adding on. Maybe some TIG welding.

Talk about "throwaway" rifles. When the extractor goes bad, you trash it./beagle

joeb33050
05-08-2005, 05:39 AM
I've been watching this because
I paid for a M721 Remington in 30/06 almost a month ago, still haven't received it, and you guys have me worried about the extractor. Has anybody come up with a fix?
I found on the web that there's a recall of 721's for trigger work, it seems to be free. Anybody know anything about that?
Maybe it doesn't matter if the seller never sends the rifle to my FFL guy.
joe b.

fourarmed
05-09-2005, 04:40 PM
As long as they work, they are just as good as any other, but they are a bit lighter than the later extractors. The triggers are essentially the same as a 700 trigger. I have a 300H&H 721 that the trigger started acting up on. The trigger lever wouldn't return freely, causing the firing pin not to cock sometimes. I pulled it out and took it apart and found a burr. I can't remember now whether it was on the trigger itself or on the housing around the trigger pin hole. Either way, a couple of file strokes cleared it right up. It's now one of the best Remington triggers I have. Just one of the costs of using stampings.

beagle
05-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Okay...think I found a fix.

The M700/7400/7600 extractors from Brownell's seem to be able to be made to work.

The M722s are really thin. The replacenets are thick. I have one modified and in and it's chambering and extracting but shooting will be the test and I'll try that Sunday with the Roberts.

The key seems to be the extractor portion. On the replacement parts, it's too thick and had to be ground down so the case will fit. Otherwise it sticks out too far and won't let the extractor snap over the case.

Right now, mine chambers with some difficulty but I figure it will work in over time so I left it that way.

I'll make a report after seeing how the firing does but it dry fires/chambers all right and extracts in the shop./beagle

Willbird
05-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Well most of us seem to be so tight with a nickle that we squeek, so if your Dad is like that too, just buy some surplus powder that is a tad slow for the 222, something on the order of H414, then lie and tell him you got it for free, give it to him, then he can't get enough in there to hurt hisself :-) because it is "free" powder he and most of the rest of us would use it in preferance to other powders even if it caused extreme jock itch and or hives :-)

Bill

fourarmed
05-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Beagle, which side did you grind? The back (out) side, or the tooth itself?

beagle
05-26-2005, 02:30 PM
I ground the side with the tooth. I figured the backside needed to remain flat so that it would provide support (Now that I think of it, it could be done either way with a good argument for each method). I ground it on a bevel so that the rim would tend to slide down over the tooth. It still closes a bit hard but I think it will wear in over time.

The dimensions vertically are basically the same as the original. The material on the whole thing is much thicker than the original. The arms are shorter by maybe 1/8" than the original and have a slight bend at each end which I straightened. Once you get it in place, it pretty well tends to stay centered. I was worried about that but it can only move so far one way or the other and then the arms ar blocked by the ejector. Either way, it will extract and that's the goal of this effort. I may have problems with ejection but I'm not all that worried about that right now.

I have 40 rounds of Roberts loaded and Sunday will tell the tale whether it works or not but eveything looks pretty good right now./beagle

Beagle, which side did you grind? The back (out) side, or the tooth itself?

fourarmed
06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Inquiring minds want to know...how did it work?

beagle
06-30-2005, 09:48 PM
The reworked extractor worked about 75% of the time. Really frustrating.

Came home and boxed the bolt up and shipped it out to Dennis Olson in Plains, MT for a Sako extractor.

The bolt just came back. That is the slickest mod ive seen and pulles a case reliably now.

I highly recommend this mod to any of you who were having the same troubles that I was. Don't fool with it like I did. Get er' done./beagle

joeb33050
07-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Would you post the address etc. of Dennis Olson, and give us an idea of the cost of the extractor?
Thanks;
joe b.

waksupi
07-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I can't find Olsen's phone number right off, but he is in Plains, Montana.

Jumptrap
07-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I can't find Olsen's phone number right off, but he is in Plains, Montana.

I just wanted to ad, that i had Olsen rebarrel one of my model 95 Winchester's to 35 Whelen. Absolutely top drawer work...flawless. The blue matches so perfectly, it looks like factory original, gun is slick as greased snot. But as for phone calls.....he has the phone personality of a stump. Questions get answers like: yeah. okay. yep. sure. no. etc. Don't expect a gab fest or long explanations. Were it me and I wanted something done, just mail the damn thing to him, wait....wait some more and then pay the bill....you'll appreciate the work and enjoy the results.

felix
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
For someone to make Jump THIS happy, the man must be a magician. It's OLSEN in PLAINS, MONTANA. ... felix

HTRN
07-04-2005, 12:46 AM
A former boss, the guy I actually apprenticed under, once tried to fix a friends 721 with this problem. Tried 3 different 700 extractors and never got it to work right. He got fed up and simply installed one of those Sako style extractors instead. Works much better than the original.

Boys, if you don't mind it not being original, this is the way to go.

HTRN

waksupi
07-04-2005, 01:16 AM
But he has a good, if dry, sense of humor. I had a job in there a year or so ago, and he gave me a pickup date. It's about 60 miles down there, and when I showed up he gave me a funny look. Then he said, I'll bet you're here for your rifle. I sez yup. He then asks if I've been out to look at the bighorns on the winter range. I told him I was headed out there later, to visit friends who lived there. He then asked if I had had lunch yet. I told him no, I'd ate just before I left home. Then he asks if I had been to the new junk shop in town.
I came back from the junk shop an hour later, and he was just finishing wiping down the rifle. He said he had forgot one item on the job, and had to get me out of the shop, so he could finish it. It was done flawlessly, and for a decent price for the quality work you get. A good gunsmith is worth every cent he charges.
If you want a fine custom rifle, he can sure build you one. He builds some very elegant mountain rifles.