PDA

View Full Version : Old Ideal 45 Lubrisizer Questions

Phlier
02-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Gents,

A few months ago, my 86 year old Father gave me his old Ideal 45 Lubrisizer. It's pretty much NOS condition.

Since I found myself in the area of NOE Bullet Molds, I stopped in and bought a five cavity 358-128-RF mold (this one: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34_257&products_id=3391), intending to use it in 9mm Luger.

This was back in November. Fast forward to today, and I have yet to load a boolit from this mold (I've been sticking to my Lee TL356-124-2R instead), as I'm having a few problems...

I'm using Lyman #2 alloy for 9mm, as I find that anything less hard suffers from cases swaging down the boolit diameter. When I bought the mold, Al told me that it would cast "a bit large" with Lyman #2, as he uses COWW to qualify his mold cast diameters. With #2 alloy, the mold throws .361-.362. Even if I use COWW, it still casts .3605 - .361.

I have not wanted to attempt to resize such a large, hard boolit down to .358 using the old Ideal 45. Hence the question... how oversize of a boolit are you guys comfortable putting through a 45 lubrisizer? If I'm using a .358 die, is .360 (with a bhn of 15-16) too big to put through the lubrisizer? How about .361-.362?

I've been very anxious to use this new mold, but I'm pretty much stuck... I just can't get the thing to cast small enough using alloy hard enough for my purposes. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to resort to water dropping COWW, but even then, COWW drops out pretty big, averaging just under .361.

I really don't want to put any undue stress on my vintage Ideal.

I know that I can pre-size the boolits with a push through sizer, then run them through the Ideal, but I shoot in large quantities; a two step operation just isn't feasible.

If I can't one-step the boolits this mold throws, I might just have to look toward getting a new mold...

racepres
02-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Not alot of help, but, I use my old 45 mostly for Lubing, and very lightly resizing..
For tough resizing jobs...the Lee Push thru has never caused me a Drop of Concern...
More than one tool in the Box!!!!

codgerville@zianet.com
02-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Gents,

A few months ago, my 86 year old Father gave me his old Ideal 45 Lubrisizer. It's pretty much NOS condition.

Since I found myself in the area of NOE Bullet Molds, I stopped in and bought a five cavity 358-128-RF mold (this one: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34_257&products_id=3391), intending to use it in 9mm Luger.

This was back in November. Fast forward to today, and I have yet to load a boolit from this mold (I've been sticking to my Lee TL356-124-2R instead), as I'm having a few problems...

I'm using Lyman #2 alloy for 9mm, as I find that anything less hard suffers from cases swaging down the boolit diameter. When I bought the mold, Al told me that it would cast "a bit large" with Lyman #2, as he uses COWW to qualify his mold cast diameters. With #2 alloy, the mold throws .361-.362. Even if I use COWW, it still casts .3605 - .361.

I have not wanted to attempt to resize such a large, hard boolit down to .358 using the old Ideal 45. Hence the question... how oversize of a boolit are you guys comfortable putting through a 45 lubrisizer? If I'm using a .358 die, is .360 (with a bhn of 15-16) too big to put through the lubrisizer? How about .361-.362?

I've been very anxious to use this new mold, but I'm pretty much stuck... I just can't get the thing to cast small enough using alloy hard enough for my purposes. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to resort to water dropping COWW, but even then, COWW drops out pretty big, averaging just under .361.

I really don't want to put any undue stress on my vintage Ideal.

I know that I can pre-size the boolits with a push through sizer, then run them through the Ideal, but I shoot in large quantities; a two step operation just isn't feasible.

If I can't one-step the boolits this mold throws, I might just have to look toward getting a new mold... I have used my 45 to size hard .361 wadcutters to .358 with no problems. My alloy is 17 BHN.

Phlier
02-04-2017, 06:29 PM
I have used my 45 to size hard .361 wadcutters to .358 with no problems. My alloy is 17 BHN.

That's good to hear. I haven't even wanted to *try* it for fear of damaging it, and it's in darn near mint condition.

I'll give it a shot, thank you!

44man
02-05-2017, 11:14 AM
The old machine is tough. Might be better then new ones.