PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 44 Magnum

northmn
02-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Had the itch for a 73 in 44-40 but the cost is a bit steep. While I could afford it, the issue is one of utility. Would I get the enjoyment vs cost out of it. Looking at a 44 Mag Marlin 94 and think that might be a better alternative. I have two Lyman bullet molds I picked up when I had a 44 before and one takes gas checks. Both RNFP's. One is the Lyman made for the 44-40 nd the other I just don't remember except that it was RNFP and took a gas check.
Kind of looking at using lower powered loads in it and really would not need a GC. Could use the 200 grain mold at about 44-40 BP levels for most use. 44 mag resale might be a little more practical for me if it flops.
Had 44 mag pistols but never a rifle. Primary use would be opportunistic as being carried on a tractor/4 wheeler. Generally try to shoot small game in the head anyway.
Not making clear my desired input as I am rambling, but are those of you that use the 44 in this manner and with reduced loads. I noticed that there are some cowboy loads out there that may be a good way to get brass as well as just buying 100 rounds of Starline. Kind of like the nickel brass as I use that in my 32-20. I need another utility rifle like I need a litter of kittens to give away, but the itch is there. Is the 44 any fun?

DEP

hicard
02-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I have several levers and a couple of semi-autos and bolts in 44 mag. I enjoy them all and really enjoy shooting 44 specials out of all but the autos. I find that the older I get, the lighter my loads and I am at the point now where I look at the minimum loads first rather than go to the maximum loads. Lot more fun too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2017, 01:54 PM
there are hundreds of threads about the Marlin 44 mag and it's problematic issue with slow twist rate.

Here is a recent conversation, that may help you with your decision.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?326323-casting-for-44-mag&highlight=

DougGuy
02-04-2017, 02:40 PM
The Chiappa levergun was for some time the ONLY 44 made with a 1:20 twist, now I think the Henry has it too? I could be wrong. Finding one of any brand with a proper twist for 44 magnum seems to be a chore when it shouldn't be.

00buck
02-04-2017, 02:54 PM
I would get it. Shoot it..try it.
You won't lose money on it.

02-04-2017, 03:30 PM
No good advise for you other than I prefer to reload brass. Those nickel brass cases give me a fit. Flake apart after several loadings.

northmn
02-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Why is the 1-38 twist so bad? Unless I were shooting heavier bullets than I want to use in one I can't see a problem. 200-250 grain cast or jacketed. Were I to hunt deer with it I would likely buy a box of factory 240 jacketed. There is a test I read where Marlin compared the twists and found no difference in accuracy between the 1-20 and the 1-38. Biggest worry was that the fast twist would be to much for the light bullets. If I want a cannon I would get the 45-70 CB.

DEP

longbow
02-04-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't find the 1:38" twist to be a problem at all up to about 270 gr. boolits. Beyond that I get poor accuracy much past about 75 yards. With up to 270 gr. I have had decent accuracy to 200 yards.

What is more of a concern and not just with Marlins is that the SAAMI spec for rifle barrels is larger groove diameter than for handgun barrels and so the rifles tend to run 0.431"+. Consequently many off the shelf moulds for .44 mag are not suitable. You need a mould that will cast 0.432" minimum. I order moulds at 0.433"/0.434" for my Marlin which has a 0.4315" groove diameter.

I started out not knowing and bought a Lyman 429421 mould because how could a guy go wrong with a Keith style boolit? Well... first, that design is too long in the nose to suit OAL limits for a stock 1894 Marlin and second my mould casts exactly 0.429" with wheelweights so undersize for my barrel. Didn't feed well and accuracy was poor. RNFP designs that are "fat" at 0.432"+ are your friends for a Marlin.

I shoot all PB boolits in my Marlin with no leading issues even at top end loads.

So, I wouldn't worry about the 1:38" twist unless you have a bent for very heavy .44 boolits but make sure you have a mould fat enough to suit the .44 mag rifle's groove diameter. Best to slug it and measure then buy a mould to suit.

Longbow

GARD72977
02-04-2017, 03:54 PM
The 44mag is a good choice. I sold a Marlin and have missed it evers since. Im a big fan of reduced loads for these guns. I love my 1873 but a straight wall case is faster and easier to load. I would not want to carry a nice 73 on a fourwheeler.

The 44 Mag is pretty strong in a carbine.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2017, 05:34 PM
...SNIP
Why is the 1-38 twist so bad?
To some, 1-38 twist is not bad, but knowing what it is, and what's it's capabilities are, as well as what it's limitations are, is important info. Along with knowing the barrel WILL have a .431 groove dia. I wish I would have had this fore-knowledge, as I would have made a different choice.

Most castboolit shooters lean toward shooting heavy for caliber boolits, at least I tend to. One of Lee's standard 44 cal molds is 310gr, I sure would have liked to know if that boolit would have worked in my Marlin rifle, before I bought the mold. It didn't.

northmn
02-04-2017, 06:14 PM
To some, 1-38 twist is not bad, but knowing what it is, and what's it's capabilities are, as well as what it's limitations are, is important info. Along with knowing the barrel WILL have a .431 groove dia. I wish I would have had this fore-knowledge, as I would have made a different choice.

Most castboolit shooters lean toward shooting heavy for caliber boolits, at least I tend to. One of Lee's standard 44 cal molds is 310gr, I sure would have liked to know if that boolit would have worked in my Marlin rifle, before I bought the mold. It didn't.

I understand that position, but do not hold it. I do shoot cast and lean on the heavy side, but more or less stay within the parameters of the caliber. I guess to me, the bullets in the 200-250 grain range would work for what I want the rifle for. I used 190 grain cast bullets in my , 30-30 but now have a 170 grain mold as I doubt if the deer really care. I had a 45-70 Marlin CB I sold and don't miss as it was too light and kicked like a mule. I have no desire to duplicate that with a lighter weight carbine. Its funny how a few years ago the 44 mag pistol was said to be good for grizzly but the rifle is barely adequate for deer. At close range the standard 44 loads are similar to my 35 Remington or a hot loaded 38-55. I don't ask more from it than that.
I appreciate the comments on bullet diameter. I may not make the 432 with my molds and should check. Don't know if I am going to buy one or not. I already have more guns than I can shoot.

DEP

northmn
02-04-2017, 06:22 PM
There is quite a discussion on 44 twist rate on the Marlin Froum, 94 section. A contributor by the name of TomRay used to work for Marlin before they became Remlins and commented on the testing of 1-20 vs 1-38. He did claim the testing was done with bullets under 270 grains and as they could find no difference in accuracy they stayed with the 1-38. Mostly that is because the typical shooter will be using factory loads or equivalents. The 444 got switched because it is a large enough case to benefit from heavier bullets and shooters seemed to want them.

DEP

iomskp
02-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Northmm I am not a fan of Marlins I had one in 47/70 for a couple of months and a 44 mag for about the same length of time, I ended up getting a Browning B92 in 44 mag, love it I have had it for years now I only shoot cast through it, if you can find one you will not regret it.

Regards Trevor

1johnlb
02-04-2017, 07:20 PM
If your itch for the 73 is more for the fast follow up shot, your not going to be satisfied with the 94. I've always had winchesters and have the 94 in 44 mag and the long stroke of the 94 is made for the long rifle cases and cowboy shooting is difficult with it. I've wanted a 73 in 38 for a long time and until I get it I'll have that itch.

Jeff Michel
02-04-2017, 07:29 PM
I picked up one of the new Marlin levers last year and in spite of their detractors, it shoots and works just great. As to bullet weights, the factory standard is 240 grains. I stick with that or a 432-640 that weights right at 250. One of those on top of 21 grains of 2400. I use that load in all of my 44 Mags. I'd like to see how much they expand on a deer but I've never recovered one. Even at 200 yards, it blows right through them with an exit hole the size of a shot glass.

kmrra
02-04-2017, 07:55 PM
hicard (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?2564-hicard) I agree with you about getting old and the loads getting lighter , I use to kid my dad about that when he was alive and now im at the age he was when he started to down load his 44s, I now know what he was complaining about , Im getting arthritis in my hands like he had and its no fun at times

OlDeuce
02-04-2017, 09:05 PM
I've shot the .44 mag sense 1973 and was my sole hunting gun ! Great for deer ! but way slow for antelope..up to this point a 240gr Hornady did well .I bought a Winchester trapper in .44 and started casting for both guns ! The 1:38 twist was not an issue with my style of shooting! Couple months ago
I bought a 310gr GCFN to shoot in a reline .429 with a 1:18 twist ! The reason was to shoot gong matches out to 840yds !! I've not cut the chamber
but will do it soon ... the .44 is a great caliber :-) :-)

Ol Deuce

Bzcraig
02-04-2017, 10:49 PM
I have a Henry (1:38) and a Rossi (1:30) I enjoy shooting both and though the heaviest boolit I've shot is 265gr I have no complaint. Sounds to me like you know what's what so buy one and enjoy, it will serve you well!

FergusonTO35
02-06-2017, 09:40 AM
If one has the itch to get a .44 to scratch an itch but not necessarily as a mainstay rifle I think the new Henry single shot would be a great choice.

bcr
02-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Northmm I am not a fan of Marlins I had one in 47/70 for a couple of months and a 44 mag for about the same length of time, I ended up getting a Browning B92 in 44 mag, love it I have had it for years now I only shoot cast through it, if you can find one you will not regret it.

Regards Trevor

+1 on the Browning!

knifemaker
02-13-2017, 12:49 AM
I have to agree with Longbow concerning the accuracy of a Marlin 94 in 44 mag. I had one and could not get decent accuracy with standard dia. sizing dies. The rifle had a groove dia. of .431 and I had to get a custom sizing die that sized my cast lead boolits at .432 before the accuracy picked up to my standard that I wanted. I would look at the Henry as I have heard they have a reputation for very good accuracy with .429-.430 boolits, but I do not have any first hand experience with the Henry except for their 22LR caliber.