PDA

View Full Version : Locktite Glass Glue

Wayne Smith
02-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know how thin this stuff is? I have to glue my microwave cooking plate, and it has two breaks in it. One separates, the other is encapsulated - the glass is cracked in such a way in a partial circle and the crack is angled in the thick glass, that it does not come apart. I can move each end maybe 1/64th of an inch up and down.

Before I open that small container I need to know if it is thin enough to penetrate this crack or do I need to get some 100% cryonalyate glue? I need to glue this before I glue the one that does separate.

Yes, I've looked. This plate is no longer made and no one I've found has one in stock. It seems my only choice is repair.

scb
02-04-2017, 01:55 PM
The only thing I've used it for is gluing the metal plate to the windshield that hold your rear view mirror in place. It was a while ago but seem to remember that it was fairly viscous. I wouldn't bet on it penetrating a crack very well. If it's the same stuff. They may well make more than one formula.

Smoke4320
02-04-2017, 02:24 PM
If you decide to use super glue .. run it at least twice with repaired piece in the Microwave before cooking any food.. It will outgas especially the first time heated

waksupi
02-04-2017, 03:32 PM
There is a very thin super glue called "Hot Stuff" that may be the ticket.

country gent
02-04-2017, 03:39 PM
You may be able to push it into the crack with a rubber tipped blow gun and 15-20 psi air pressure. I have done this with epoxy fixing cracks in wood stocks and other things. Apply glue and press rubber tip over tightly and while holding lever open slide down the crack. With the super glues glass glues you will need to move quick though

Wayne Smith
02-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Pushing it into the crack is a non-go. From what the label says I have 15sec. before it sets. Hot Stuff is what I probably need.

popper
02-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Windshield crack repair kit? it's viscous but acrylic. I've used normal super glue on ceramics (porcelain?) and it didn't work - but the parts were completely separate.

farmerjim
02-04-2017, 05:24 PM
What brand and size, I have several down in the barn. You might find one at the goodwill store in a cheep microwave.

Idz
02-04-2017, 05:39 PM
TiteBond makes a water-thin cyanoacrylate for wicking into hairline cracks in wood. It works great for that. Although I don't know how well any of the glues will work with the temperature cycling and microwave radiation in the microwave oven.

higgins
02-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Check the hotstuff web site. As mentioned above, their thin CA glue may be what you want. I recently used the "thicker" hot stuff CA to glue a cracked gunstock; worked beautifully. You will probably find other small cracks around the house that you can wick the thin stuff into. When you do it, keep a cloth with acetone in it handy to wipe up the overflow, and to clean your fingers.

Hot stuff isn't carried by many stores, even hobby shops. Search Amazon.com; I got mine at as good a price as anywhere else and got free shipping (and no sales tax).

DanishM1Garand
02-04-2017, 05:53 PM
I'd be worried moisture would get in there and once behind the glue it might explode.

A new cooking plate likely isn't very expensive.https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Improvement-Microwave-Replacement-Turntables/zgbs/hi/2232385011

GL49
02-04-2017, 06:13 PM
What brand and size, I have several down in the barn. You might find one at the goodwill store in a cheep microwave.

That sounds like a plan. Never know, maybe the one I've just replaced is just what you need. Let the forum know, if no one has one, there is usually someone who can come up with a link where you can find one.

Wayne Smith
02-04-2017, 09:27 PM
The microwave is a Kenmore 721.80409400 made by LG. The plate part # is 339W0A0001A. One website had an EAP# of 3518819 - I have no idea what that represents unless it is internal to that company.

This is a stove hood type microwave. It uses a rectangular glass plate and a central piece that moves it back and forth. It has to be that exact one with the bottom molded for this mechanism. Every site I've found that lists it is out of stock.

farmerjim
02-04-2017, 10:02 PM
I don't have that one. That sounds like a one of a kind . Made 24 of them and then stopped production. most have that 4 point gear in the middle and will interchange with ease. Good luck. Try your repair.

Mal Paso
02-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Heat is one of the disassembly methods for CA assembled parts. If the plate heats much CA might not be the best solution.

Bullwolf
02-04-2017, 10:15 PM
I know a clean surface is extremely important for the windshield rear view mirror loctite glue to adhere.

I'd have to glue the metal tab back on the windshield, that my rear view mirror hung on nearly every year on my Jeep. I cleaned the metal/and glass contact area with rubbing alcohol beforehand.

Not sure how food safe JB weld is, but I glued the handle back on my favorite black coffee cup using JB weld. It's held up for years now at freezing temps in Winter, and over 100ºF days in the Summer.

The Microwave hasn't made it skip a beat yet either. Since it dried somewhat greyish black in color you'd have a hard time spotting it, unless you knew where to look.

- Bullwolf

Wayne Smith
02-05-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't have that one. That sounds like a one of a kind . Made 24 of them and then stopped production. most have that 4 point gear in the middle and will interchange with ease. Good luck. Try your repair.

24 and stopped! Surely you dropped a couple of 0's? I can't imagine any commercial production being sold at Sears only having 24 made.

farmerjim
02-05-2017, 11:06 AM
24 and stopped! Surely you dropped a couple of 0's? I can't imagine any commercial production being sold at Sears only having 24 made.

Post edited.

bedbugbilly
02-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Just a thought - have you done a search on flea bay? I just did one for "microwave glass tray" and it brought up over 2,500 of them. You might look there and possibly find what you need.

abunaitoo
02-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Never seen a micro that the plate only mover back and forth.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Just a thought - have you done a search on flea bay? I just did one for "microwave glass tray" and it brought up over 2,500 of them. You might look there and possibly find what you need.
I did that too. I'm ADHD and don't have the patience to look through 2,500 of them to find what's likely not there. As has been said, this is a very unusual design.

bedbugbilly
02-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Wayne - you can narrow your search and not have to look through 2,500 . . . you do know the brand and model of your micro wave don't you? . . . so put that in as well. If there is one listed with the make/model in the title, it should come up . . . if not, then it won't. It really doesn't take that long.