PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 71 Bolt peep sight adjustment?

paul s
02-04-2017, 08:56 AM
I was very lucky to buy a nice Win 71 in good condition for a very reasonable price. It has the Win 98 bolt peep sight. It has 3 screws on top, two small and the large thumb screw. Need to lower the sight a little to zero, are the two small screws set screws? Help! Don't want to bugger up this sight. thanksi

pietro
02-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Here's the skinny:

The double headed screw right below the peep adjusts windage.

The little screw just in front of the peep is a set screw that locks the elevation spring in place.

The screw closest to the big elevation knob is the elevation zero set screw used to keep elevation from going below the 100yd mark.

The elevation thumb screw is used to adjust elevation, and also to hold the sight base down.

The elevation thumb screw goes down through the sight base and into a special nut that is captive inside the bolt, which rides above the firing pin and in fact touches the firing pin.

Proper installation of the elevation screw requires disassembly of the rifle and removal and disassembly of the bolt to gain access to the underside of the screw.

With the bolt on a work surface (after bolt disassembly), the elevation spring is installed under the sight base, then the elevation screw is installed and screwed into the special nut until the threads protrude just a bit beyond the nut

The lower end of the elevation screw is (then) flared to limit its travel and keeping it from coming all the way out.

If the elevation adjustment range isn't wide enough to zero the rifle, the front sight (height) may need to be changed.

Scharfschuetze
02-05-2017, 12:42 AM
+1 on Pietro's post. Can't add anymore than that.

birddog
02-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Looks as though that is the deluxe model 71, same as the one that found its way to my gun safe Saturday. I'll look at mine and see if there is anything I might add. Interesting info that Pietro put up!!
Charlie

paul s
02-12-2017, 09:21 AM
187844Mine is a 1940 vintage standard model. I have a 1930 Stoeger catalog and it lists standard model with the bolt peep as an option. It came with about 50 rnds of ammo, good thing! Checking 348 ammo prices I nearly fell off my chair! It was a good day, bought both Winchesters for a good price.