PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging an old Lyman 45

fatelk
02-03-2017, 11:19 PM
I have an old L.G.S. 45 (Lyman) that I've had sitting around for some time. I picked it up fairly cheap at a gun show for a friend, who subsequently decided not to cast after all.

It looked fine except for missing the reservoir cap. I figured that could be purchased fairly cheap from Lyman, but now it looks like they might have discontinued sale of parts? I think I can make one easy enough.

Recently I've decided to clean out and get rid of all my extra stuff. I'm glad I decided to take this one apart and clean it up before it sold, because there's a lot more going on with this one than I realized. It's bolted to a two-piece steel and aluminum base, but it's more than a base. The first think that caught my eye was that the screw shaft sticks up taller than it should. Upon taking it apart I realized that it also goes down into the base.

It looks like at some time it likely broke, possibly the seat in bottom of the body was damaged. Someone machined out a larger hole, machined the steel part of this base to precisely fit into that hole, then machined the aluminum piece to fit underneath. The screw shaft is definitely longer than an original 45 shaft. I wonder what it was for?

I thought it was a fairly ingenious fix, and it seems to work fine. Someone went to a lot of work on it. Now I just need to make a cap for it (wish I had a lathe). I've recently started powder coating so I've been getting rid of most of my lube-sizing gear. I guess this is the perfect one to keep in case I need one again. Nobody else would want it, and it still works fine.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Seems like most of us who would use it wouldn't shy from it.

TenTea
02-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Lyman not selling repair parts anymore for the 45's and 55's is going to present a challenge for us who like to fix up the old ones.

I've ordered and purchased several batches of repair parts in the last several years.

I wonder if *phone ordering* is still an option or whether the new replacement parts for old machines are truly unavailable.

Green Frog
02-06-2017, 04:57 PM
I think you will find that you can upgrade the cap by using one from the newer 450/4500 if the replacement shaft you have will allow it. If not, it would be a pretty simple job for anyone with a lathe to make or modify one for you. It still won't be as strong as its later successors, but should be fine for reasonable sizing and lubing duties as you mention. How do you plan on getting your bullets to the proper size for powder coating, or will you coat as-cast?

Froggie

fatelk
02-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Good news- Lyman has not discontinued the sale of parts. I just spent 20 on hold waiting for customer service, but the very helpful rep was able to find them and I ordered pressure nuts for this unit and another that I have, as well as a Chapman wrench, a die nut wrench for my 450, and a cap. Total with shipping was $30.

I realized that the cap wouldn't fit over this shaft, but it was cheap enough that I figured I could modify either it or the shaft and make it work.

For the bullets that I powder coat, I coat as cast, then size them through a push-through sizer, at least most of them. I still need to get a few more sizes of push through sizers. I'll keep some of my lubesizer stuff for a while for odds and ends, probably sell all of them if I decide that I want to powder coat everything.

Geezer in NH
02-08-2017, 11:15 AM
I have one 45 the cap was missing when I got it. I put a fender washer over the stem and was going to order a new cap when I needed something else.

That was over 10 years ago and the same washer is still on top of it working fine to keep junk out.

fatelk
02-08-2017, 01:41 PM
I was surprised at how cheap the cap was, only $3. Of course shipping was $6, so it wouldn't be worth it for just the cap.

I realized that the new cap will be for a 4500 and the same as a 450 instead of a 45, so I grabbed the cap from my 450 and tried it; it fits perfectly.

merlin101
02-08-2017, 03:16 PM
I have one 45 the cap was missing when I got it. I put a fender washer over the stem and was going to order a new cap when I needed something else.

That was over 10 years ago and the same washer is still on top of it working fine to keep junk out.
Why rush into things, right?

richhodg66
02-08-2017, 08:46 PM
I have three right now out of my dad's stuff that I have to figure out what to do with and also a couple of Herter's ones. I know some on here favor them, but I always liked the 450 much better than the 45 when I used one. Surprised Lyman still carries parts for them.

Geezer in NH
02-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Parts are interchangeable it seems, only the casting and handle stuff changed. Cheaper for them as they could use up all the old parts.