PDA

View Full Version : It was a Fatntastic Friday!!! Lead pick-up.

bullseye67
02-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Good afternoon, just thought I would show the lead roof jacks and some other sheet lead that I picked-up this afternoon. The ladies from the scrap shop called and asked if I was driving by this week. They said a couple of guys dropped off some sheet lead and they were holding it for me. Swung by on my way home from the range. 250lbs to make into ingots when it warms up. Should make about 330lbs of 30/70pure or 23,000 32 wadcutters. All set for another year!

Mitch
02-03-2017, 09:13 PM
the roof jacks I have found have a bit of Sb in them not a lot tho.the hardness has been 7 to 8ghn.maybe other will chime in if they have found the same.great score roof jacks are good stuff.

Soundguy
02-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Last few I got are dead soft and made fantastic revolver balls. The couldn't have been higher than 7 and seated so well imho.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-04-2017, 02:40 PM
I usually get lead pipe when I go to the scrapyard, it has some antimony I think, but not sure how much

Bookworm
02-04-2017, 04:13 PM
About the antimony in plumbing pipe - I read an article about that somewhere.

It claimed that the antimony acted as a 'plasticiser', allowing the lead to flow under pressure when being formed into pipe. IIRC, the pipe may have as much as 5% antimony content.

I rendered about 80lbs of plumbing pipe, and the ingots all pencil-tested as 6B, which is pretty darn soft.

Only way to tell for me is to remelt and water drop some. I have no knowledge of anyone around here with an XRF gun.

472x1B/A
02-04-2017, 05:18 PM
That's a good catch there bullseye. My neighbor works at a lumber yard and asks all the roofing contractors to keep the roof jacks for him. Sometimes he will bring me 2 or 3 dozen of those a week in the summer time. We have a lot of soft lead on hand.

lightman
02-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Thats a good score! The ones that I have had were dead soft.

Soundguy
02-04-2017, 07:46 PM
That's a good catch there bullseye. My neighbor works at a lumber yard and asks all the roofing contractors to keep the roof jacks for him. Sometimes he will bring me 2 or 3 dozen of those a week in the summer time. We have a lot of soft lead on hand.

Awesome!

brassrat
02-04-2017, 08:18 PM
What the heck is a roof jack?

Soundguy
02-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Pretty sure they are referring to the flanged lead vent sleeves.

brassrat
02-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Oh now they are rubber and plastic

Soundguy
02-04-2017, 10:54 PM
Oh now they are rubber and plastic

You can certainly still get lead, I bought one from home depot a few months ago.

bullseye67
02-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Good morning, Yes, I am referring to the roof "jacks" that go around chimney, bath vents and in the valleys on a shingled roof. All the older houses used to have all theses in lead. When they re-shingled them they would replace them and re-seal the area with tar. Now most of the lead is gone replaced with aluminum, tin, plastic and rubber membrane. In the early 80's, I had friends that worked their summers shingling houses. They would throw all the lead in the back of their pick-ups and when it was full or they had a rain day they would bring it to me and a couple of other guys that were shooting bullseye. We gave them as much loaded pistol ammo as they wanted in return. We never thought it would end......just like 49 cent/100 primers and 5 dollar a pound powder......on a positive note minimum wage was $3.50/hour....now it's over $12.00/hour......Myself and probably a lot of other people would go back.

308Jeff
02-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Good afternoon, just thought I would show the lead roof jacks and some other sheet lead that I picked-up this afternoon. The ladies from the scrap shop called and asked if I was driving by this week. They said a couple of guys dropped off some sheet lead and they were holding it for me. Swung by on my way home from the range. 250lbs to make into ingots when it warms up. Should make about 330lbs of 30/70pure or 23,000 32 wadcutters. All set for another year!

Nice score!

Can you tell us how much you paid for them (if anything)?

TexasGrunt
02-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Good morning, Yes, I am referring to the roof "jacks" that go around chimney, bath vents and in the valleys on a shingled roof. All the older houses used to have all theses in lead. When they re-shingled them they would replace them and re-seal the area with tar. Now most of the lead is gone replaced with aluminum, tin, plastic and rubber membrane. In the early 80's, I had friends that worked their summers shingling houses. They would throw all the lead in the back of their pick-ups and when it was full or they had a rain day they would bring it to me and a couple of other guys that were shooting bullseye. We gave them as much loaded pistol ammo as they wanted in return. We never thought it would end......just like 49 cent/100 primers and 5 dollar a pound powder......on a positive note minimum wage was $3.50/hour....now it's over $12.00/hour......Myself and probably a lot of other people would go back.

When did that happen?

Soundguy
02-06-2017, 11:55 AM
maybee in new york.. etc...

bullseye67
02-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Good morning, Our Provincial government has implemented increases to minimum wage that will make it $15.00/hr starting in 2018. Today our LOONIE is worth .756 cent USD dollar...so $15.00 CND is $11.34 USD. Another comparison is Winchester SPP are now $65.00/K CND or $49.14 USD. 1 pound of Bullseye powder is $42.00 CND or $31.75 USD. These are prices as of today.
The lead "roof jacks" I picked up on Friday were $100.00 CND. They have a soft spot for me....the list price is .70/lb CND or .53/lb USD. I have been standing at the counter when they are buying and lead seems to be .20/lb doesn't matter what it is, they then have to sort it into bins..ect. So they still make margin on what I picked up, just not "list".