PDA

View Full Version : Getting the bug again

Andy
02-03-2017, 08:02 PM
August through the end of December was an extraordinarily hectic and busy time for my wife and I but during January things finally settled back to normal and I'm happy to say that a few days ago I loaded some ammo for the first time in over 4 months. Right before things got busy in August I had purchased a LNL AP press and had just started using it before the chaos began. This is my first progressive so I was excited about using it more the whole time and couldn't use it due to other life pressures. This last week was the first time I got to just relax and load some on the new press without feeling like I was on a short, set block of time. This time I was loading for no particular reason and it was much more enjoyable and it reminded me that it should always feel like that.

I'm working on developing a load with a 90gr flat point bullet (NOE, casts great) to work well in my Kahr CW380. This is a carry gun for me so I'm trying to get a 100% reliable load worked up for it. I haven't had great luck finding that 100% mark so far but I am having a fun time trying different things out and working out the kinks in the gun/load. I feel like by the time I get there I will be extremely well versed with this gun, and will have had a good deal of fun in the process.

I like to think of load development for a new gun as the "break in" period for the gun where you get to learn the firearm and get it working the way you want, in general, while you have fun shooting it without being too technical and worrying about groups or getting near max loads. Once the honeymoon is over then you move on to testing and perfecting things.

runfiverun
02-03-2017, 10:32 PM
once you get to working that press a bit more you'll find 15 minutes here and there to knock out 100 rds.
quite often i'll watch TV show with the wife.
then disappear long enough to do 100 rds, dump in a new tube of primers, then go back in with her.
I can do that 2-3 times a day 1-2 day's a week while working on other stuff or right after lunch or whatever.
this lets me get caught up on loading without killing my whole day.

Love Life
02-03-2017, 10:34 PM
once you get to working that press a bit more you'll find 15 minutes here and there to knock out 100 rds.
quite often i'll watch TV show with the wife.
then disappear long enough to do 100 rds, dump in a new tube of primers, then go back in with her.
I can do that 2-3 times a day 1-2 day's a week while working on other stuff or right after lunch or whatever.
this lets me get caught up on loading without killing my whole day.

That is what I do. I have spent many a long session on the Dillon in the past, but not anymore. Now I do 100 here, 100 there. It adds up quick.

Andy
02-04-2017, 09:49 AM
I'll be able to leave my reloading stuff out now that I have more shop space so I'll probably do shorter sessions too now that I think more about it.

Shiloh
02-04-2017, 10:29 AM
I do it in steps. Prep brass and prime in one session. Gas check and lube bullets in another session. Much less time to powder and seat.