PDA

View Full Version : Crimper 45 ACP Primers

coloraydo
02-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Haven't seen this one before. Has Winchester landed a military contract for 45 ACP, or could this possibly be a run for automatics? I picked these up at the range some time back, maybe 20 or so. These were new brass, as brass doesn't get a chance to hang around very long. :D

They are definately crimped. This is one of the more centered crimps, most of them are off centered. The primer is domed out, and noticeably harder to remove. Also had to ream and chamfer the primer pocket out. Winchester brass is the only brand I have noticed.

Just curious if anyone else has run across this.:lovebooli

Outpost75
02-03-2017, 10:16 PM
They crimp range ammo so rhey can make it a pain to reload, and therefore sell more ammo. Winchester is getting out of the component brass business and has been moving in this direction for a while.

coloraydo
02-04-2017, 02:09 AM
Interesting, I just had not seen this before. And yes, it is kinda a pain to reload, in the sense I am not used to seeing 45 ACP crimped.:veryconfu
Thanks.

bstone5
02-04-2017, 02:18 AM
The Federal New Technology I came across had crimped in primers for the 45 ACP.
Was not hard to punch out the primers and ream the primer pocket to correct.
Just like the LC 308 brass from a few years back that had been fired in a machine gun.

ioon44
02-04-2017, 10:52 AM
I have seen some small primer Winchester .45 ACP with crimped primers along with other brands.

Dale53
02-04-2017, 11:36 AM
All military brass I have seen (except "Match brass"), has had crimped in primers. I have several thousand pieces of military brass from the sixties that have crimped primers. Then, of course, it was all large primers.

I used an RCBS primer pocket swager to remove the crimp. Those cases are excellent, by the way.

Dale53

44man
02-04-2017, 11:48 AM
It was done to keep moisture out. Like the glue they used. Even bullets were glued in. Watch the Seals come out of water with rifles. Conditions are harsh.

Dale53
02-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Actually, the lacquer was for water proofing. The crimping was to keep the primers from backing out when used in fully automatic weapons.

FWIW
Dale53

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk