PDA

View Full Version : New Rossi M92 357 is a gas!! :-)

Buckshot
06-30-2008, 02:03 AM
..............I've had it a couple months now, and should have bought one a long time ago! This levergun is just plain FUN to shoot. Using cast Lee 358-148WC's over 3.3grs of W231 in mag brass, or the same load with 158gr SWC commercial dip lubed slugs it's good for 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 50 yards. This is just plinking ammo put up by the hundreds to have some "Grab 'n' Go" shooting fodder.

I really wish I had more time right now to work up some higher intensity loads for it. I bought a Marbles tang sight fo it but it's still in the box, and not on the carbine yet.

Just thought I'd mention what a fun gun this thing has turned out to be. If ya don't have one, ya orta see about one :-)

.................Buckshot

hammerhead357
06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Buckshot, I've been thinking about one in 357 and another in 44 mag. I have a win. trapper in 45 colt and its a niffty little carbine. My youngsters love it as long as its loaded with 255 gr. bullets at about 900 to 1000 fps any heavier load or bullet and they don't care for it so much.
I am glad you gave the m92 a good report now I just have to find the cash to buy them.....Wes

corvette8n
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Buckshot:
I have a Puma M92 in .45 Colt 16" bbl great little gun, It does pound you a little when I shoot .45 Colt +P w/300gr bullets.
I found a nice leather lace on buttpad at Cabelas for mine it add a little to the lop and softens the recoil.

timkelley
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Bought a Rossi 45 Colt carbine about a year ago and it's really a HOOT to shoot, when that 255 gr piece of lead hits at the other end you know about it (big commotion downrange).
I liked it so well that I bought a brass and stainless 357 rifle for SWMBO at Christmas and it is even better to shoot, I'm jealous.

45r
07-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Tried 14.3 grains RL-7 under my 200 grain PB MTN Mold boolits and it shot inch or better at 50 yards.Only 1200 fps but no leading and no drop off in accuracy.Mine is a scoped Marlin CB.It has shot very well with H-110,296,4227,2400,but I can't hardly get over how well it is shooting Plain base boolits with RL-7.357 leverguns are fun for sure.Going to put up some pictures later but going to see what it does with my 180 PB boolits first.I'm going to get some more RL-7 for sure.Would like to get a 92.Have read that the action is pretty cool on them.

Linstrum
07-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Ah ha! Yeah, I figured you'd get more than a kick or two out of it! Darned nice little rifle. Lots of good loads work in it, too, I use Lyman's 358-156 (gas check) with 9.8 grains 2400 in .357 brass for a good coyote load. I won't get into the debate over whether the .357 in a rifle is good for deer, but a lot of various small game species have been taken with this model rifle in its various incarnations since it came out around 1892. Lots of rabbits, squirrels, tin cans, etc.

Enjoy!

rl365

Bret4207
07-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Got one in 44mag. Lotsa fun with light loads. Real thumper loads made me realize a light rifle needs a recoil pad!

Boomer Mikey
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I have 6 Puma M92's... 3 in 357 Magnum, 2 in 44 Magnum and 1 in 45 Long Colt. The carbines are quick, light and acurate, the octagon western rifles are great long range rifles with over 25" of sight radius and balance perfectly for off hand shooting.

The 357 Magnum carbine is my favorite plinker with the 44 Magnum carbine close behind.

4 grains of titegroup in the 357 Mag. and 6.4 grains in the 44 Mag. works great.

Boomer :Fire:

Buckshot
07-02-2008, 02:49 AM
.............I knew that these Rossi's were pretty well distributed amongst the population, and were popular. I just spent too much time mooning over the fact that my next younger brother finally took his M93 Marlin 30-30 (From G'pa. I got the Springfield NRA Sporter :-)) as I'd only had it for safe keeping for about 12 years! Got to thinking it was mine.

Anyway, I just had to post about the thing because I really DO enjoy it. It's light, handy, shoulders well, has a decent trigger and is just fun to shoot and operate. The factthat so far it has been decently accurate is also a plus. We're not so enthused about a pig in the poke that won't group, are we?

..............Buckshot

Poohgyrr
07-02-2008, 03:14 AM
The .357 Lever is great. I have two 20" octagons and one or the other goes on every range trip.

mainiac
07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
.............I knew that these Rossi's were pretty well distributed amongst the population, and were popular. I just spent too much time mooning over the fact that my next younger brother finally took his M93 Marlin 30-30 (From G'pa. I got the Springfield NRA Sporter :-)) as I'd only had it for safe keeping for about 12 years! Got to thinking it was mine.

Anyway, I just had to post about the thing because I really DO enjoy it. It's light, handy, shoulders well, has a decent trigger and is just fun to shoot and operate. The factthat so far it has been decently accurate is also a plus. We're not so enthused about a pig in the poke that won't group, are we?

..............Buckshot

I have one also,and it shoots well,and is fun to shoot.BUT, its like a race car,,, its always broke down! 1500 rounds, and ive broke 2 firing pins, and ive just broke my second ejector. Pretty upset about the thing. As soon as i find a marlin .357, this thing is going to take a ride. Hope you have luck with yours, P.S. somebody told me that some of them have brittle parts, but the guy that sells parts(located in alexandria Virginia) must have brittle parts also!

Boomer Mikey
07-04-2008, 11:34 AM
I have one also,and it shoots well,and is fun to shoot.BUT, its like a race car,,, its always broke down! 1500 rounds, and ive broke 2 firing pins, and ive just broke my second ejector. Pretty upset about the thing. As soon as i find a marlin .357, this thing is going to take a ride. Hope you have luck with yours, P.S. somebody told me that some of them have brittle parts, but the guy that sells parts(located in alexandria Virginia) must have brittle parts also!

Get the DVD from Steve's Guns on how to slick up the PUMA or send it to Steve to make it work right. The extractor spring is way too hard and the extractor needs stoning to soften the extraction process. Steve can make your 1892 feed empty cases and when done you won't be able to tell the difference between chambering rounds and cycling the action without chambering rounds - cases will fall in a neat pile at your feet.

$400 rifles aren't hand fitted custom jobs, they're just made to function OK.

Marlin 1894's have issues too... both are fine rifles when setup properly..

mainiac
07-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Get the DVD from Steve's Guns on how to slick up the PUMA or send it to Steve to make it work right. The extractor spring is way too hard and the extractor needs stoning to soften the extraction process. Steve can make your 1892 feed empty cases and when done you won't be able to tell the difference between chambering rounds and cycling the action without chambering rounds - cases will fall in a neat pile at your feet.

$400 rifles aren't hand fitted custom jobs, they're just made to function OK.

Marlin 1894's have issues too... both are fine rifles when setup properly..

When i first bought the gun the cases would fly 20 feet, way to heavy spring! But ive since fixed that problem, and the gun works slick,plus it has a very nice trigger. But, broken firing pins,and broken ejectors dont have nothing to do with "slickin it up". This is inferior parts. After fixing it problems, I still break parts. Aint operator era either, cause my marlins keep right on firing. BTW, it has never had a problem extracting, its the sleazy little ejector in the bolt face that breaks. I run it single-shot now, because i dont want to pay for another ejector.

larry h
07-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Need some help. I've had a Puma for 4/5 years now. I have only put 30/40 rounds through it. The extractor/ejector (I guess), is tearing or notching (taking a small piece of the rim off). I do not want to keep messing up my brass. Is there something I can do to to remedy this situation?
Also, what would be the OAL for using 38SPCL and have it cycle properly? There are no gunsmiths in my area. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. R/Larry

LIMPINGJ
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Take Boomer's advice get in touch with Steve's Guns for his DVD or have him do the work.

Four Fingers of Death
07-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Buckshot, I bought a 357 Rossi for $200 odd, I can't remember exactly. I bought it as a back up rifle and as a loaner to new shooters. It has never missed a beat. It is the picture in my avitar, I prefer big bores, but had some problems getting the big bores working and the 357 was pressed into service and it performed admirably.

My new lady friend is really interested in Cowboy Action and she will be using it in future. I'm not out of the woods completely and will be using it on Sunday, hopefully for the last time and then I will be shooting my 44WCF.

About the only disadvantage with shooting this gun as I can see it is that I can't take the pi$$ out of my mate Roscoe for shooting
sissy guns' while I'm shooting a 357!

They are one cheap a$$ed, fine, reliable rifle though.