PDA

View Full Version : smokeless to blackpowder lube

kb7tgr
02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I have about 8000 bullets cast with jakes carnuba lube. I am thinking about switching classes to a black powder

class How will these bullets work with black powder or what problems should I anticipate. suggestions.

Southern Son
02-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Which Carnuba (red or new blue)? I think that the Carnuba will not be the best for black powder. If it is not right for black powder, then your going to get a hard, crusty fowling, and it be worst towards the breach, meaning after a few shots, chambering a round will be difficult in single shots and lever rifles (if your boolit sits upin the throat), and trouble with fowling dragging in the cylinder gap on your revolver. The fowling is so hard (and will continue to build up in the throat) that it will damage your boolits, giving you leading and hopeless accuracy.

Jeff Houck
02-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Carnuba red won't work with black powder. An easy way to remove it is to put the bullets in boiling water which will melt the lube. It will float to the surface and then you can skim it off. Then dry the bullets in a 225 degree oven.

What bullet are you using?

John Boy
02-03-2017, 09:54 PM
SPG Lube is good lube for black powder