PDA

View Full Version : Suggested recipe for SOWW and foundry type

scotner
02-03-2017, 02:30 PM
I cast my 300 BLK 240 grain bullets from clip on wheel weights with 10% linotype added. I have a growing amount of SOWW lead that I would like to use for pistol bullets (or possibly both). I read the excellent article from LASC about Roto Metals Super Hard Alloy and I wondered how close that data would be as a starting point for foundry type in my alloy. Super Hard is 70% lead and 30% antimony. Foundry type is listed as 62% lead 23% antimony and 15% tin. Would this put me in the ballpark if I calculate the amount of foundry type needed to get the antimony close and then see where the tin percentage ends up?

rancher1913
02-03-2017, 03:04 PM
I would trade somebody for coww, the softer soww are great for slugs and once you alloy them you can not go back so make somebodies day and offer a trade.

fredj338
02-03-2017, 04:25 PM
I don't get too analytical about the exact alloy mix for pistol bullets. A 4-1 mix would work fine for most handgun apps.

scotner
02-03-2017, 04:38 PM
I would trade somebody for coww, the softer soww are great for slugs and once you alloy them you can not go back so make somebodies day and offer a trade.

Not much happening local and it is difficult to ship much lead. I am not worried about going back to soft lead because I don't cast slugs or BP balls. I am starting to see more stick on weights and less clip on in the wheel weights I get.

scotner
02-03-2017, 04:41 PM
I don't get too analytical about the exact alloy mix for pistol bullets. A 4-1 mix would work fine for most handgun apps.

I was just trying to find a good starting point so as not to waste the foundry type. I PC so it shouldn't require a lot of hardening.

scotner
02-03-2017, 04:50 PM
I meant to post this under Lead and Lead Alloys. Mods feel free to move it.

scotner
02-03-2017, 11:09 PM

That is about what I was thinking so I added 8 pounds of SOWW and 2 pounds of foundry type to my pot and fired it up. Man those are some hard bullets. I think I should have gone 9:1 or 10:1. I just didn't think that amount would make basically pure lead that hard. I may be onto something here. 45 cal 200 grain six cavity mold. I spot checked 6 of them and they weighed 196.4 to 197.5 grains. As dropped diameter was about spec with about .001 variation.

ioon44
02-04-2017, 10:41 AM
I cast some bullets out of known 6-2-92 alloy and then mix my SOWW with Foundry type to reach the bullet weight I want, a little of the Foundry type goes a long way .

scotner
02-04-2017, 01:22 PM
I cast some bullets out of known 6-2-92 alloy and then mix my SOWW with Foundry type to reach the bullet weight I want, a little of the Foundry type goes a long way .

Yep. I found out. Good stuff though. I am going back and get some more.