PDA

View Full Version : Strap on or slip on recoil pads

wch
02-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Shoulder injury leads me to consider something on the order of the PAST or Limbsaver pads.
Any comments on the efficiency and ease of use of these devices?

koehn,jim
02-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Limbsaver makes a good one. I added it to a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and it works fairly well.

Randy Bohannon
02-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Slip on "Shooters Friend" most effective I have used for real recoil supression.

jonp
02-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Wife has a PAST and it works really well considering how thin it is. In fact, it's amazing how well it works. I've used both and both work but the strap on ones come in different types and thicknesses. If your going to use one for multiple guns I'd go that direction

Hick
02-05-2017, 08:47 PM
I have the PAST thing to wear on my shoulder, but after much use I switched to the slip on pads for my rifle stocks. The reason I switched is that I had trouble with the PAST pad slipping and then the rifle stock would not brace solidly against my shoulder. The ones you slip on the stock seem to hold position on my shoulder better. The other nice thing is that when I am shooting lower velocity cast loads I take off the slip-on. So, I have a couple of slip-ons (two sizes) and they suffice for both my Model 94's and for my M1, when needed.

country gent
02-05-2017, 09:53 PM
I think mine is a limbsaver. Its a leather slip on with a Velcro adjustment to make it a snug fit. I use it on my larger caliber BPCR rifles. It does a good job but does increase length of pull 1/2"-3/4" The old rubber ones I didn't care for hard to put on and get off didn't look all that good and didn't really do much. This one has a sorbothane insert inside. I did use a bit of silicone adhesive to hold the insert in place so it didn't fall out or turn.

samari46
02-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Have a couple Rem 870's and the old style rubber recoil pads have petrified due to their age. Pulled off or I should say cut off the old pads and installed a couple of the limbsaver slip on pads. Big difference in felt recoil and I got mine at wally world. They do come in different sizes so measure your butt stock and check the back of the package regarding which size fits a particular rifle or shotgun. Frank

vintagesportsman
02-06-2017, 02:02 AM
I bought two of the "tourbon" slip on leather pads, well made, fit my Yugo 48 perfectly as well as my Mossberg 500. Pricey but top quality.

jonp
02-06-2017, 05:36 AM
I have the PAST thing to wear on my shoulder, but after much use I switched to the slip on pads for my rifle stocks. The reason I switched is that I had trouble with the PAST pad slipping and then the rifle stock would not brace solidly against my shoulder. The ones you slip on the stock seem to hold position on my shoulder better. The other nice thing is that when I am shooting lower velocity cast loads I take off the slip-on. So, I have a couple of slip-ons (two sizes) and they suffice for both my Model 94's and for my M1, when needed.

removed

Hick
02-06-2017, 04:08 PM
jonp I'll take that as a joke

Hick

Duckiller
02-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Many years ago I was at a range next to an older gentleman shooting a loud rifle. A 7mm Rem Mag that was really beating him up while he was sighting it in. He didn't want to but I insisted that he use my PAST magnum pad. He was of a generation that was too polite to refuse. After he shot a couple of rounds he was asking where I got mine. Price was no object. Really protected his shoulder. At the hime I di not have a Magnum rifle but regularly used it with my 06. Not sure I would use it while hunting but a PAST is just the thing when sighting in a rifle .

Multigunner
02-06-2017, 05:44 PM
For my uses a slip on pad is best. Most rifles, especially milsurp rifles don't have the length of pull I like, the slip on pad corrects that. At the same time my winter coats and wool shirts etcetera would make the length of pull a bit too long if I left the pad on or mounted a permanent pad. I can adjust length of pull to suit the conditions to some extent.
In summer when I shoot a high power rifle without a pad while wearing a T-shirt I just fold a thick wash cloth or hand towel and insert it under the cloth over my shoulder.

Depending on the severity of the shoulder injury you might want to use both a padded shooting jacket and a recoil pad.

Fact is though for me group sizes when using a pad are not as good as when firing without a pad.

warboar_21
02-06-2017, 06:01 PM
I broke my collar bone back in 02. When I got back to where I could shoot I ended up buying a magnum past recoil pad for shooting prone with my 300WM. Since then I use it when shooting anything with substantial recoil from the bench. Yesterday as an example with my 375 Ruger testing ammo for a friend. They are getting ready to ship ammo and wanted a few opinions and I was selected since I have a 375 Ruger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jonp
02-06-2017, 07:58 PM
jonp I'll take that as a joke

Hick

Dang, the purple didn't work. Yes, it was a joke. One of the funniest things I ever saw was in your hometown at the T/A truckstop. I watched a JBHunt driver take 3 whacks at a guys truck backing in the hole. Didn't know when to say when.