PDA

View Full Version : Newbie equipment mistakes.

sawinredneck
02-03-2017, 04:16 AM
To preface this, I am by no means an expert at any of this! I'm simply sharing some of my stories in hopes others don't make the same mistakes I did. I'm also hoping others can, and will add nuggets of their wisdom.
Rule #1, don't start with a progressive press!
Back in the early '90's I was newly wed, desperately broke and thought I'd shoot a lot more than I got to. I was at the gun shows all the time, but knew NOTHING about reloading. I was in a local shop and they had the Pro 1000's on sale, around $100 OTD, the clerk made it seem everything I needed was in the box, the box seemed to confirm this, how hard could it be? After talking to some friends parents, that did reload, and pulling everything out of the box, I was intimidated! Three or four years later I sold it off, still new in the box. There was so much additional gear to buy and things to go wrong, I never even tried messing with it.
#2 start slow and learn the process.
After selling the Pro 1000 I managed to save some OT money back and laungished for months over what brand to buy. I settled on a Redding Boss press, Redding #2 scale, a Lee perfect powder measure (still a great buy), a bullet puller, Lyman tumbler and a set of RCBS dies. Buy now I had a 10mm, ammo was scarce and very expensive at the timeI learned how and why everything worked and felt comfortable with the process, a big improvement.
#3, don't be scared of used.
There are still deals out there, watch yard sales, estate sales, Craigslist, here, even evilbay! I picked up a Redding master powder measure for $40 shipped, it needed a new reservoir, but throws almost as good as my PPM and my sons son should be able to hand it down!
A lot of times people just want the **** gone, other times they think it's worth it's weight in gold. Like the guy that has the box for my master powder measure on evilbay.
#4, buy manuals, more manuals then get some more!
Seriously, you cannot have enough resources on hand to compare data. This should go without saying, but unless it's a known manufacture, don't trust anything you find on the internet without checking other known sources!
I got slightly mocked in another thread for calling Sierra to figure out some load data using cast bullets. Well, they have the 1-800 number for a reason and brag about being willing and able to help with loads, why not use that resource? I'm a man, not a proud one, certainly not when it comes to blowing up guns!
"But I want more production capability than a single stage can give me, why spend the money twice getting two presses?"
Honestly, this is a valid question, money is tight with a lot of us! But the single stag will afford you other options in the future, say you get a load of military 5.56 brass? You will have to deprime and swagg the primer pockets, it can be done on a progressive, but it's no fun. If you want to size bullets on the cheap with the Lee sizer, you'll need a SS press.
Im old school, I load all my rifle rounds on a SS press, that's just me.
There is a lot that can be done with a SS press even after you've moved on to something better.
The other option is a turret press, this affords the use of a single stage and moderate production speeds in one unit. "Jack of all trades, master of none." But you still maintain close control of each round.
"What about master kits?"
We've all seen them, we've all been tempted buy the new shiney toys in the box, but look at what's really included, how much will you really need and how much did the manufacturer throw in to raise the "perceived value?"
For handgun you NEED,
press
carbide dies
powder measure
scale
calipers
loading tray/trays
manuals

For rifles you add,

case lube, too many variables to cover here!
case trimmer, again with the options
deburring tools
primer pocket tools, not a bad idea with pistol either and this can create another thread of its own.

Now go back and look at those kits, they include a bunch of case prep tools and no calipers. Or no case prep and a powder measure, or a scale but no powder measure? It's maddening really, almost silly! So look at what you get, then figure in what you'll need to be able to load, then see how good the price really is!

One last thing I'll leave in this ramble, color and brand doesn't mean squat! Get the best you can afford and enjoy it, they all work!
Ive got a lot of Redding equipment, haven't had a problem one, but I've heard the QC has gone down recently? I dunno. I mainly use RCBS dies and shell holders, never had a problem, so I keep buying them. That and I can't afford Redding dies!
The Lee PPM is probably the best $20 I ever spent, yeah, it's just crazy plastic, but it sure works well!
I also have a Lee classic turret, love it!
Get what you can, learn what you can and just have fun doing it! We have to be serious and careful reloading, but getting the gear should be enjoyable, not scary!
Be safe and please feel free to correct me or add additional thoughts.

CastingFool
02-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Thank you for posting your experiences, I'm sure they will help someone. My advice to someone who wants to learn to reload, is to look for an experienced reloader who is willing to mentor you. Have him show you the ropes, how to use the equipment, why do it this way, or that way, etc. Once you learn the process and learn how to use the equipment, buy used whenever possible. Sometimes, you can find real deals at a garage sales. I once found a Mec 600 and paid less than $10 for it. Wasn't perfect, but after some time cleaning it, and $35 of new parts to correct the problems, it did a very nice job reloading 20 ga shotshells.

jmorris
02-03-2017, 10:29 AM
I think you went the way many that gave up on reloading have gone.

It starts out with "I want to shoot more for less."

Quickly evolves to "I don't want to spend all my time reloading."

So they look for faster ways at loading but are short sighted on return on investment so, "This is the cheapest progressive press I can find."

Not knowing anything and having a machine that is more problematic than others the result is often, "This isn't worth it." Where your story differs is that you didn't make an attempt at running the machine.

My first metallic reloading press was a progressive and I was a kid when I started, just put one round in the shell plate at a time and you are not doing anything you can't do on a single stage. Once you are comfortable with everything that is going on you just add an empty case and place a bullet with every stroke of the handle.

dverna
02-03-2017, 11:15 AM
I was poor as well when I started. First on a Lee Target Loader...not even a press!

My first press was a Bonanza Co-AX that I still use for rifle ammo. It is strange that I have owned eight progressives and never loaded rifle ammo on one. But that will change this year as my son and I are getting into shooting AR's .

jmorris is right. Progressives are not rocket science but a lot of folks buy a cheap and/or troublesome unit and get burned. It happened to me with my first progressive --- an RCBS Green Machine. If you get a decent make, they run well and are a joy to use.

The sad part is that most guys buying the less reliable units are ill equipped to deal with the fine tuning and then they are stuck with it. Most do not have the money to buy a better machine a year later. That happened to me with the Green Machine. Bought it newly married but I was lucky. My buddy had two Stars and a Camdex so I was able to reload .38's on his stuff or I would have quit shooting pistol.

Thanks for sharing your journey!

Don Verna

sawinredneck
02-03-2017, 02:33 PM
I completely agree with a mentor, not only to show you how to do it, but to help you with what to buy! Knowing what I know now I'd have probably bought a Lee anniversary kit, for about the same money as the Pro 1000, and been happy.
I have an older gentleman down the street that is wanting to get into reloading, mostly 30-06. He's retired military, disabled, and a tight income. We talked and he was looking into what he'd need and I suggested he buy the dies and use my equipment. He doesn't shoot much so no need to invest a lot and it gives me a chance to teach him the ins and outs. I figure if he likes it enough then he can start buying gear.

Shawlerbrook
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Great information! I'll just add: 1) KISS- Keep it simple s****d ! Try to settle on a bullet and powder or two for the caliber you are loading. If you are loading for hunting or informal target shooting you don't need benchrest precision. 2) Full length resize. Unless you are taking it to extremes it will save you grief. 3) Keep records of what works and what don't. 4) Imperial Sizing Wax- easy, effective and idiot-proof. 5) Prioritize your equipment needs- some things you will absolutely need immediately and some you can add as you get into the hobby. 6) Start out with small batches and eliminate distractions. 7) Good used equipment is better that cheap new stuff. 8) With caution, the Internet is a great source of information and how-to videos. Just make sure they come from a recognized and reputable source.

Duckiller
02-03-2017, 04:24 PM
I agree with using single stage presses. I started out with a Rochchucker and I can make all the ammo I can shoot on it in a reasonable amount of time. However I am not a competition shooter. Do have a Dillion 550 but have trouble getting it to prime cases. Haven't bothered to call Dillion to ask for help. Did that once for another problem and got a not very helpful customer service person. May have to try again to see if their service has improved.

robg
02-03-2017, 04:32 PM
When I started reloading an older shooter/handloader said" you start out reloading to shoot and end up shooting to reload ,"I understand now!

hp246
02-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Great post by the original poster. The only thing I wouls add is buy quality stuff. I'm still using some stuff that I've had for 30 years that I bought used. But it was quality stuff when the original purchaser bought it.

EDG
02-07-2017, 10:55 AM
The original post was the best post for guidance about getting into reloading I have ever read.

I will add my $.02.

In the beginning I had a problem committing very scarce money. That money would be permanently tied up in reloading tools and components.
I swapped a very nice .22 for a Bair kit. None of the Bair stuff was very good except the scale and the kit did not include a manual. Eventually I replaced all of the Bair stuff.
But the Bair kit did serve the purpose for getting me committed. It got me started and that was the biggest hurdle.

Today I have many die sets and multiples of all the tools, probably enough for 4 or 5 people.
Almost everything that I buy today is used first quality stuff and with diligent shopping it costs no more than new cheap stuff. Some times it is less expensive than new cheap stuff. Sometimes it is a bargain because you find things that are not even made at any price anymore. Things like 6.5X58 Portuguese Mauser, 6.5X250 Savage and .35 Winchester.
In many cases the used stuff is barely used or not really used at all.
For example I recently bought a set of Bonanza bench rest dies for the .25-06. This was a 3 die set that looked really good in the ebay photos. When I got it it appeared to be unused. Considering that I was about to make it used $28 plus shipping seemed a bargain. The same thing happen when I bought RCBS .32-40 Cowboy dies at a similar price. They were unused. I could go on and on. 50-70 RCBS dies for $25. 40-65 Lyman dies $15 and a Redding 6.5X55 Competition Seater for $15.

Rule #1, don't start with a progressive press! (I agree unless you are going to be only a pistol shooter forever.)

#2 start slow and learn the process. Another check.....

#3, don't be scared of used. Used stuff - learn to appraise the cost and condition and embrace it when you see a deal like 2 (5 lb) rolls of 63-37 solder for $10......

#4, buy manuals, more manuals then get some more!
Very big check here. A guy on another site had a 6X47 Rem 40X rifle that he had never fired because he had no data. I steered him toward an old Hornady and an old Speer manual because I happened to have picked them up at a gun show for nearly nothing. Both have 6X47 data. Where do you find obsolete data for obsolete cartridges for obsolete rifles? In obsolete manuals off course....and in 45 years of Handloader Magazines.

"But I want more production capability than a single stage can give me, why spend the money twice getting two presses?"
>>>Yes today there may be other priorities but keep an open mind at all times. In a year or 2 your interests can change, you can learn more and you can make more money.
Somewhere down the road you may be able to acquire another press even if you can't swing it now.
Never ever think you know everything now because I guarantee you will be smarter in the weeks, months and years ahead. Your interests will grow and you will be able to make use of more tools.

Kits in some ways are good for those with lots of cash to risk on a new activity. They can make a decision and give it a try.
Face it a lot of people buy stuff and never make a serious effort to learn how to use it. So it rusts and rusts and rusts until disposed of.
For others kits are something of a fog that obscures and delays what is important. In the beginning you can get by with just a cigar box full of stuff.

A mentor can help here. When I started reloading the very best trimmer was the Forster and it was not in the kits that the top companies sold.
RCBS had only trim dies, Redding tools were only available by mail order in my part of the country and their trimmers did not seem very popular.
Some other trimmers were junky and some like the Wilson were never seen in retail stores and not often in mail order catalogs. In this case buying each the best items of each type was only possible if you have a very knowledgeable mentor. Buying a kit can result in half or all of the stuff being 2 rate. That is what happened to me but it did get me started.

racepres
02-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Just a quick check here....$$ does not buy Happiness...
Trimmers for an example...In my old age, I have more than a couple...
None do a "better job" than the Lee system...neither are they faster...If you can't get a good job, fast, from the Lee trimmer system...you need to rethink your manual dexterity abilities!!!!
In the day of the Internet...a poor buying decision seldom ends up costing more than shipping!!! Off the offender, and get something different...
Finally...I am a firm believer in starting with the Humble Lee Loader...one will Learn what the Process is all about..and after you "outgrow" it...it is guaranteed that it will Move on the Auction site[s]...
I still have all of mine.....
Slow down, Breath, Think, then Do!

BTW, Excellent original Post

sawinredneck
02-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Thank you all for the compliments and comments, I'm hoping to help at least a few people get over their fears!
Lube, I'm still using the Hornady wax, I need to try the Imperial sometime, but haven't been loading enough to justify the cost yet.
Case trimmer, I really wanted the Redding with the collet system but just couldn't find one for a reasonable price, even used. I looked at the Lee system but didn't like it because there was so much to buy, every round needs a different gauge. The Hornady system is nice and if I had Hornady shell plates I'd have probably gone that way, but having to buy shell plates killed it for me. I ended up with the new style Lyman, most pilots for my needs, quick change collet and I caught it on sale at Cabela's. (Always shop Cabela's on sales!)
Another point on manuals, most people think the gear is the expense, be prepared to put at least half the money into manuals, unless you find a good deal on used.
A side note, years ago my FIL bought me the Sierra 50th anniversary handgun manual, the only time Sierra split them up. He died last year and I've tried to no end to get the rifle half to have the complete set. Every time I find one I get outbid by the same person, way over what I can go buy the new, complete version for! I want it for sentimental reasons, but I'm not willing to pay crazy prices for it!
So as said above, have an idea what it's worth and don't get wrapped up in bidding more than that just because you think you need it when buying used.

racepres
02-08-2017, 12:15 AM
^^ I have that same Sierra handgun book...bought it new..
Never have found the Rifle one yet, that I was willing to pay so darned much for!!!!

sawinredneck
02-08-2017, 03:18 AM
^^ I have that same Sierra handgun book...bought it new..
Never have found the Rifle one yet, that I was willing to pay so darned much for!!!!
Glad it's not just me!

runfiverun
02-09-2017, 01:45 AM
here is my advice.

put the press on a bench.
seriously, just bolt the thing down.

Wayne Smith
02-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I started loading with a couple Lee loaders, when I could afford it bought an RCBS JR3 that served me more years than I want to admit! Lived in apartments, house with rug rats, and kept the loading equipment in a salesman's display case - made foam cutouts for it. When I needed to load a towel on the table and a piece of board under it and two C clamps and I was set. Did that for years and never damaged a dining room table top.
Moved to this house and it has a peninsula between the kitchen and family room, on the family room side what is supposed to be a breakfast bar. We never used it for breakfast but that became my loading station as the boys got older. Still clamped, now with cardboard under the press. It was not until our eldest moved out that I moved into my reloading/gun room.

It can be done without a permeant place to do it - just takes a little creativity.

tstowater
02-09-2017, 10:32 AM
I have read this thread several times and mentally rehash my adventure in the reloading field.

I started loading for rifles. Bought a 22-250 for fox and coyote hunting while in high school. After a couple boxes of shells, I bought a Lee Loader to make new shells. Not much guidance and survived in spite of the experience. Started buying additional guns from a LGS who was into reloading. He liked good stuff. My brother and I pooled our resources and bought a Big Max for metallic cartridges and a P-W for shotgun. This worked through college but living several hundred miles apart made it impractical to continue. The brother ended up with the initial presses so I started from scratch again.

Rifle shooting was sidelined for several years but I took up trapshooting. Bought another P-W 375 and then an 800B for more volume. Still use both.

Marriage brought a Fil with lots of goodies. He had a Rockchucker so I had access to single stage loading. We only live a few miles apart and he has a 100 and a 200 yard range at his place. Big game load development was simple with a range 25 feet from the loading bench.

Next came prairie dog shooting and election uncertainty. Volume loading became an issue and a progressive press was deemed necessary. By this time, I had a great base of knowledgeable people to visit with about makes and models. I chose a Dillon 550B for multiple reasons.

Since the first 550B, I have been backfilling the perceived holes. I have bought several single stage loaders to do dedicated tasks and big game loading.

It's still a lot of work when you get home from a trip and you have 3000 rounds of rifle brass to process and load. As jmorris stated, I do get tired of loading at times and that has impacted my equipment acquisition decisions.

TLDR:. Most loaders are limited by money, time, experience and sometimes space. Find several people with experience before jumping in with both feet and you will be happier in the long run.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JimB..
02-09-2017, 10:55 AM
I suggest starting on a single stage, but if someone has their mind set on something big of whatever color there is no reason that they can't learn to load safely with it. Obviously it helps if they have a mentor, but the question assumes that you're being asked for advice so bingo, you're the mentor.

I learned on a SDB, still have the 10 fingers and 2 eyes I was born with.

I also own a Co-ax and am probably buying a rock chucker for heavy work.

dverna
02-09-2017, 11:40 AM
One other thing to add....buying good quality used equipment offers NO risk. You will sell for at least what you paid for it and usually more. But you must be patient and sometimes lucky.

For example, a used Dillon 550 will go quickly and expect to pay 80% of new. This is because Dillon will stand behind the machine and rebuild it if necessary. Most other used stuff will go for 60-70% of new.

Don Verna

BlackRat
02-09-2017, 03:40 PM
This thread certainly brings me back old memories. I started to reload when I was only 19 years old, my Dad and I used to shoot together and the old man was simply tired of paying for reloads at the range that were good for almost nothing.
At that time, I knew NOTHING about reloading so the old man one day showed up at home with a copy of the Lyman 47th edition reloading handbook (a very good book btw). So after reading, reading and more reading I did my shopping list: a Dillon AT500, Dies for .45acp, .357 Mag, 308 Winchester and 30-06, a forster trimmer, an uniflow powder measure and a dillon tumbler.

I have to admit that in retrospective I was very lucky, my Dad was paying for everything and I was very lucky in my choices. I knew very little about what I was buying!
Even before all these goodies arrived from Dillon, Dad came back home with a Lyman single stage press only because the guy at the gun shop said "if you are loading rifle cartridges you need a single stage press". Again, I was a lucky kid!
Needless to say, I started to reload reading all the books I could find and I enjoyed from day one. But I have to admit that I was only a minute away from buying a Lee Loadmaster that could have changed my initial experience adding a lot of frustration. These days I have a lot of lee equipment and I like it, it's just I don't think that I would have enjoyed it when I started.

Today I have 5 presses, the At500 made it into a 550, the Lyman crusher 2, a Hornady LNL a Hollywood Senior and a Hollywood Universal but all my original equipment is still running strong.

Bottom line for me is that it's a lot easier to start with good equipment, it's a good investment and will last a lifetime!

racepres
02-09-2017, 03:46 PM
^^ My Boys were Both quite a bit younger than that...Both knew basically how, from observing the operation since they could see over the Bench...Both started with a Lee loader ...yep Hammer and Pound..
Once they could make Quality reloads with the Lee loader...Well...They kinda took to "Production"....Hmmm...Wonder where some of that old Equipment is at anyway!!!!

Indian
02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
I had the same start most others have had. Started with a Lyman kit with a turret press. 30-30, 22-250, 357. I was in heaven. added stuff as I could afford them. Tumbler, then another powder measure, etc. That old turret is still bolted to the bench I made out of shipping crates from New Holland balers. That was 35+ years ago. My Lee hand primer finally quit in the middle of a batch, so I finished with the press mounted one on the turret. WOW!!!! What a long way we have all come since then. Got a new hand primer next day. Now I'm starting to learn all over again with casting. Let the journey countinue. Indian

stranded1980
02-09-2017, 06:20 PM
I have a gentleman from church coming to my house tomorrow night because he wants to learn to reload. As a result, I've been thinking about how I got into it.

My first press was a Dillon Square Deal B. I've debated in head whether it was a mistake or not. When I bought it, I had 2 absolutely wrong thoughts in my head: 1) that reloading was difficult and that I would mess up the adjustments and blow my gun up & my right hand off. 2) that I would only ever reload 10mm because that was expensive. Well, if you want someone else to adjust the press for you, and you're only going to reload 1 cartridge, the Dillon SDB is a great deal!

The problem was, reloading was easier than I thought, and I eventually acquired rifles, and I wanted to reload for them. The Dillon SDB couldn't grow with me as I learned more. I really wish I had started with a Dillon 550 since it would match my needs as my needs have grown.

For that reason, I've concluded that the Dillon SDB was a mistake for a beginner. Having said that, it is a great press! It always rotates, the priming is perfect, and the cartridges always pass the case gauge. But I'd would have got a better bang for my buck with the Dillon 550. Even better, I wish I had started with a Lee Challenger anniversary kit.

Indian
02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
But you DID start reloading. I think that's the point the OP was making. I have a Lee Pro 1000, but if that was my first press I would have givin' up. We learned. Now you get to pass it on. Good job. Indian

sawinredneck
02-09-2017, 07:25 PM
There's no right or wrong here, it's all about the journey! Stranded1980 made a similar mistake as I did, and learned from it. Who knows, maybe later in life I'd have gotten a SDB in 10mm, or a Pro1000 in 10mm thinking it would be all I'd ever reload, in fact it was all I did reload for years. It wasn't until I got an AR-10 and my son expressed interest in guns and shooting that I expanded further. Then with the ammo shortages and me having lots of free time, I've started loading for some friends.
Now I'm getting interested in doing production loading again. But reading up on equipment really makes me wonder if it's worth the cost of upgrading my Lee turret press.

No Blue
02-11-2017, 08:17 PM
I bought the Lee 35th Anniversary kit; that was in '94, next year it will be the 60th Anniversary kit! Time really flew the last 25 years....

For $65 I got a SS press; the Challenger, safety scale, hand primer and shell holders, case lube, primer pocket cleaner, case mouth deburrer, Perfect powder measure and instructions. Bought some dies, got my consumables of powder and primer and bullets, and started reloading.

Plus reloading manuals.

Used that for a year, got a Loadmaster; NEVER had any of the issues I read on the net. But I've been tested at the 98th percentile in mechanical reasoning, so I figured out it needed a stable bench. Made the bench from the Reloading Institute plans, put 300# of lead and bullets on the lower shelf, and installed a brace from the floor to the underside of the top right under the LM.

The LLM doesn't move. I read way too many peeps trying to install the LLM on a card table and then rant about it doesn't work. Morans.

The Lee C frame press was on sale for $9.95, so I got one of those for depriming, bullet sizing, light duty jazz.

Got the Lee Turret press for $95, needed something quicker than a SS press for some of the odd ball rifle ammo that Lee doesn't make a LLM shellplate for. Nice press, especially for what it costs.

Last press is another LLM, just the press for $140, used as a dedicated depriming press, because I can use the case feeder to just pour them thru the press and not get all the **** into the actual reloading press from the primers.

With all this Lee equipment, never once called CS at Lee. Never broke anything, but like I said, I have a lot better mechanical sensitivity, so I'm not of the "get a bigger hammer school" or forcing things....there really are a lot of peeps that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near reloading, just no clue.

Just saw on Arfcom about a clueless one that installed a .223 flash hider on a 9mm barrel. Did a double tap, first bullet jammed into the flash hider, second bullet had no where to go, so the pressure blew the BCG out the side of the upper into the peeps face. Got a 4" gash in his face, barrel makers insurance company didn't want to go to court, so wrote a $800K check. Insurance company said they shouldn't thread a barrel that a moran could install the wrong part; must use a unique thread that only a 9mm sized FH would fit on. Idiot proof in other words.

This is the type of peep that shouldn't be anywhere near a press.

Everybody has skills and abilities somewhere along the continuum, if you're 20th percentile in something, probably should find some other activity you're better at....

racepres
02-12-2017, 10:55 AM
^^^
ROFLMAO
Not what the PC call...."PC"
I agree!!!!!! I know a Guy that can ruin a Bowling Ball in a Rubber room!!!!

r1kk1
02-12-2017, 12:07 PM
I guess the biggest mistake I did as a newbie is buying something twice to replace what I had for something better. I wish there were progressive presses that rifle stuff back in the 70s. I started in 1970 punching wads for my uncles 8ga and 10 gauge shotguns. He gave me a Ponsness Warren back then, it was the one he used for 10 and 12 gauge stuff. In the middle 70s while attending jr high grandpa gave me an 8mm-06 and a set of dies. He said the rest was up to me. I found a Pacific C press at a gun shop for 35.00. At 5 dollars a pop per lawn, one whole Saturday that press folllowed me home. Grandpa put a metal bench in his truck and brought it to the house. My next purchase was a powder/shot scale and it took more than one Saturday to earn. Ohaus followed me home and then the Wilson trimmer. I don't know how many rounds that old Mauser ate. I know grandpa showed me how to set up dies. I would go to house and crank out pistol stuff on either a Phelps or a Star. When I was in my 20s I bought my 1st progressive a Square Deal. It would load a ton of 45ACPs over the next decade. I competed in bowling pin shoots and bullseye. At this time I heard about IHMSA. I went back to side jobs such as cleaning horse stalls, working on people's car or whatever it took to buy another press for rifle's. At this time being a young dad I didn't take money from my regular job for my hobby. My hobby funding has always came from side job - and there wasn't a side job beneath me! A 550 followed me home one day. Now I loaded 30-30s, 7TCUs, 30 IHMSAs on it and countless 44 mags on it. Every firearm for my hobby was bought from some kind of side work and almost every one was used and sent to a gunsmith for some competitive work. Nowadays I do options trading to buy equipment and of course more barrels for the Contender, Encore and the Savage 110. I have no idea what happened to that old Pacific C press or even the dies. I had a burglary back in 89 and several things stolen. It broke my heart. A lot of sweat went into the purchased stuff.

I recovered but this time went to CH4D as I believe Dave from 4D die company bought CH in 91. A Champion press came home. In the late 80s I spent time on the phone with Richard Lee. At that time Lee had moulds from 22 caliber to 45 caliber. I listened to him and bought every press he made minus the Pro 1000. A long story short, he honors the 30-day money back guarantee. I used it. Several times. We argued on the phone. The first two presses to go back where the Load-All and Load-Fast. The Challenger would have stayed but at that time he did not have the steel linkage. He sent parts and told me it could do any job or any cartridge that would fit in the press. It didn't. The turret and Challenger went back and I kept the hand press until Randy brought his out. I still do business with Lee on their Custom Services side. It is far above in quality than the production side. I don't really care for the Rock Chucker, Lyman, Hornady LNL single stage or Lee presses either. I own five single stage presses and really like each one. Each is totally different in design.

I miss certain equipment that that is no longer made. Pacific C press, the large O frame presses from Herter's and Lachmiller. I have two all steel Hollywood turret presses. One is an 8 station while the other is a 12 station. They both handle case forming chores easily. They also are no lightweights weighing in at around 50 lbs each. Later in life I sent Hornady an email to come out with a LNL turret. They acknowledge there is a demand. Still I bought a brand new Hollywood steel 8 station turret and put 8 LNL bushings in it. It is setup for 50 BMG including the shellholder when I need it.

Over the the years I have had people over to the house to reload. Some do and some have never reloaded in their life. The ones who do reload try out the single stage and turret presses and make decisions on their next purchase. We talk about the pros and cons of the various presses I own. The newbies go towards the blue machine since they only want to do pistol. We load one cartridge at a time. Next visit we load up the shellplate. They go out and buy their own progressives. The funny thing is quite a few like the SD but I think it is because of the auto indexing and small footprint. The last three guys bought the RCBS 2000, the other a LNL AP and the last a 650. The four of us gathered around each person's house to load. I learned quite a bit about the other progressive presses. We loaded various rifle and pistol cartridges on each one. I see the pros and cons of each one. I watched a 650 handle a 7mm Remington Magnum from case feeder through all the stations effortlessly. I seen that same same rifle shoot less than ½" groups for five shots at 100 yards from the bench.

I miss my SD. I traded it for a San Diego Star lubrisizer with quite a few bells and whistles. This is my rookie mistake - buying another to replace it. It is an amazing machine for common pistol and revolver rounds. I have been blessed with good benches. I like steel. I use mounts from either Pat Marlin or Dan from Inline Fabrication. A strong solid bench is essential for loading. Bolt a press that weighs 30-50 lbs or more to a bench and do some case forming or swage belts on brass. In short order you can see you need more substantial bench and mounting system. I am building a 20'x30' reloading room in the back of the 30'x50' two story shop on the property back home. I may use a steel I beam and finish it with plate steel on top for the next bench bolted to the concrete floor and tied to the ceiling.

Well time to switch the LNL AP press on the mini bench to the Iron Press. I'm really liking the Iron Press. I need to form some 9.3 brass from 405 Winchester for my handgun as well as some 375 Winchester for my wife's rifle. Mount more scope bases to barrels and switch presses back for some loading stuff for this week. . . From the RV. I can't wait for the two custom shellplates from Hornady to show up to load 405 Winchester and 500 Linebaugh stuff on it.

I guess the biggest newbie mistake is lack of patience.

take care

r1kk1