PDA

View Full Version : Lee Case Trimmer Reference

Echo
02-03-2017, 03:34 AM
I got a bunch of Lee case trimmer, and have a problem. The part that screws into the cutter has a nomenclature on it to identify what case it applies to, but the cartridge holders only have numbers. Does someone know of a cross-reference where the case-holder numbers are cross-referenced to the appropriate cartridge?

Motor
02-03-2017, 04:08 AM
Yes. They use the same numbers as the Lee shell holders. That list should be easy enough to find. Just look in any reloading equipment sales catalog. Or you could go to Lee's web site which I don't know why more people don't.

Motor

Echo
02-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Did it. Thanks, Motor.

Motor
02-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Did it. Thanks, Motor.

Echo, I don't know if you are a tinkerer when it comes to metal (I'm a machinist / tool maker). I drill the edge of my Lee trimmer shell holders and press in a 1/8" split pin. They look like little lollipops. The pin makes using them a lot easier to use and to make tight so the casing doesn't spin out if the cutter grabs. Which they do very often.

I've drilled several. You drill through. I know it may seem like you would mess up the threads but I haven't had one yet that a little careful deburring didn't correct.

Motor

daboone
02-03-2017, 02:20 PM
One Lee 3 Jaw Chuck replaces ALL the shellholders for trimming.

mdi
02-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Echo, I don't know if you are a tinkerer when it comes to metal (I'm a machinist / tool maker). I drill the edge of my Lee trimmer shell holders and press in a 1/8" split pin. They look like little lollipops. The pin makes using them a lot easier to use and to make tight so the casing doesn't spin out if the cutter grabs. Which they do very often.

I've drilled several. You drill through. I know it may seem like you would mess up the threads but I haven't had one yet that a little careful deburring didn't correct.

Motor
Got any pics Motor?

Motor
02-03-2017, 07:01 PM
I have some photos saved on the gunboards forum but none here. They were on my old computer.

I probably could post them there again or maybe just take a picture with my phone and try to post it here.

In response to the previous post. I tried Lee's 3 jaw chuck. I didn't care for it at all basically because it doesn't work very good.

Motor

Motor
02-03-2017, 07:08 PM
That was easy. :) Just in case you can't tell: I put shrink tubing on a couple of them. I just haven't done the others yet.

daboone
02-03-2017, 08:44 PM
I tried Lee's 3 jaw chuck. I didn't care for it at all basically because it doesn't work very good. Motor

Its been working great for me. I used a Lee wood ball, cut the neck off of a 223R case and epoxy. The Lee ball is a perfect fit for control and ease of use of the 3JC. Certainly no need to tighten it anymore that you would the shellholders.

hpdrifter
02-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I have some photos saved on the gunboards forum but none here. They were on my old computer.

I probably could post them there again or maybe just take a picture with my phone and try to post it here.

In response to the previous post. I tried Lee's 3 jaw chuck. I didn't care for it at all basically because it doesn't work very good.

Motor

works fine for me. I like it alot.

Fordcragar
02-03-2017, 09:37 PM
I tried the 3-jaw chuck as well, but didn't like it. There are some good ideas on this thread that I'll try and comment back later.

mdi
02-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks Motor, never had a problem in that area, but it's OK to improve! I'm gonna look into that (a more "sophisticated" and time consuming method would be to drill and tap and use a nice shiny rod of SS...;-) but I have some roll pins hanging around somewhere...).

Motor
02-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Thanks Motor, never had a problem in that area, but it's OK to improve! I'm gonna look into that (a more "sophisticated" and time consuming method would be to drill and tap and use a nice shiny rod of SS...;-) but I have some roll pins hanging around somewhere...).

Well you know how it is you see something and get an idea. I tried one and it worked so figured I'd go ahead and do the rest. A nice little threaded pin would be better. I've had a roll pin or two come loose and had to drive it back in.

I have at least 3 different ways to trim. I use the Lee for low volume and weird calibers.

I've done a lot of experimenting with those Lee tools. I even went as far as making a lathe style trimmer that uses them. It was a good learning experience. Those tools need to be used in a non rigid set up like in your hands so any misalignment is absorbed. When used in a set up that keeps everything tight it only takes a little wobble to expand the neck diameter with the length rod.

So now I just use the wooden ball type cutter, my modified shell holders and a cordless drill.

Motor