PDA

View Full Version : POSTAL RATE INCREASE!!!(again)

blltsmth
02-02-2017, 06:54 PM
This happened last year as well!NEW POSTAL RATES ARE: SFRB>>>$7.35 MFRB>>>$13.60 LFRB>>>>$17.15 Got a rude awakening when I went to ship a couple of SFRB'S this morning. LAST Time they gave us a heads up in December. THIS time>>>>never heard of the increase!! HEADS UP PEOPLE!!!

El Bango
02-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Sfrb $7.15 lfrb. $18.80

USMC87
02-02-2017, 06:57 PM
I have been shipping some items in flat rate boxes and did not notice the increase, thanks for the heads up.

dragon813gt
02-02-2017, 07:01 PM
They did give a heads up. Guess you missed it.

JavelinaBlanco
02-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I wonder if this affects flat rate envelops. You can fit a sfrb inside a flat rate envelope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
02-02-2017, 07:08 PM
I wonder if this affects flat rate envelops. You can fit a sfrb inside a flat rate envelope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this was specifically addressed and you can no longer do it.

Andy
02-02-2017, 07:09 PM
It affects almost every package you might send. If you print a label using paypal/shipnow anyone can get commercial pricing though, which cuts a little bit off the flat rate box prices listed above.

If you buy your own boxes (I think the magic size is 3x6x9) you can get them in a padded flat rate envelope and I think that's ok to do (at least I haven't had any trouble yet). It's a very hard fit so only worth it when it REALLY saves you some money.

dddoo7
02-02-2017, 07:19 PM
It affects almost every package you might send. If you print a label using paypal/shipnow anyone can get commercial pricing though, which cuts a little bit off the flat rate box prices listed above.

If you buy your own boxes (I think the magic size is 3x6x9) you can get them in a padded flat rate envelope and I think that's ok to do (at least I haven't had any trouble yet). It's a very hard fit so only worth it when it REALLY saves you some money.

I do this all the time with no problems. I have 3x6x6 boxes that hold 500 pieces of 300 blackout brass and ship in a padded envelope.

And for the record...one could fit two small flat rate boxes into a padded envelope....but using usps boxes in that manner would not be ethical now would it?

shoot-n-lead
02-02-2017, 07:22 PM
And for the record...one could fit two small flat rate boxes into a padded envelope....but using usps boxes in that manner would not be ethical now would it?

Exactly right!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-02-2017, 07:29 PM
we talked about it
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?325099-USPS-Priority-Mail-increases-coming-Jan-22nd

tomme boy
02-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Yes, this was specifically addressed and you can no longer do it.

Thats why you use the flat rate padded envelope. Still can use it that way. But before you do, put the box in the tyvek bag they have. Then put it in the padded envelope.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=P_ EP14PE

And the tyvek bags.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_EP_14

dragon813gt
02-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Padded envelope is more money than the regular flat rate envelope. It's the same price as the SFRB.

kingstrider
02-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Old news, you must have missed it.

dddoo7
02-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Padded envelope is more money than the regular flat rate envelope. It's the same price as the SFRB.

True...but it holds twice as much as a small flat rate box.

dragon813gt
02-02-2017, 09:25 PM
I haven't heard if they limited the allowed thickness of the padded envelopes. If people start putting two SFRB in them you can bet they will.

dddoo7
02-02-2017, 09:27 PM
If they limit them I haven't heard. I don't use two sfrb's...but I do put my own box in them all the time. Anything less than 3x6x9 will fit just fine. 3x6 is tight...but works.

Rally
02-03-2017, 12:59 AM
Might want to look into regional boxes for closer destinations. I've found them cheaper than FR boxes but they have weight restrictions on them. A box is 15 lbs and B box is 20 lbs. Have to order the boxes online.

KAF
02-03-2017, 09:16 AM
I always figure if I do not want to pay the rates, then I can load up stuff and drive to wherever and hand deliver it.

Bookworm
02-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Yep, postal rates are still a bargain. Don't believe it ? Go check out UPS or FedEx. Or, drive it yourself.

Anyway, the postal rates went up this month. The landline phone bill went up $5/mnth this month. The cable bill went up $5/mnth this month. Grocery prices are going up quite a bit, and have been for 3 years or so.

Yet, the Fed Bank tells us that inflation is quite low, and under target.

Makes perfect sense to me.....

dddoo7
02-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Anyway, the postal rates went up this month. The landline phone bill went up $5/mnth this month. The cable bill went up $5/mnth this month. Grocery prices are going up quite a bit, and have been for 3 years or so.

Yet, the Fed Bank tells us that inflation is quite low, and under target.

Makes perfect sense to me.....

To calculate inflation they take into account certain things. A few years ago they changed the things that they take into account so that inflation would appear to be at an all time low.

However...you are correct in the fact that usps is still usually the cheapest way to ship as long as said item is under a certain weight or will fit in a flat rate package.

Bookworm
02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
I understand the way that inflation is calculated, at least, I understand it in a lay perspective.

I was trying to point out that "the books are cooked" - we are being lied to.

dddoo7
02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
I understand the way that inflation is calculated, at least, I understand it in a lay perspective.

I was trying to point out that "the books are cooked" - we are being lied to.

Absolutely correct. I agree 100%

tomme boy
02-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Might want to look into regional boxes for closer destinations. I've found them cheaper than FR boxes but they have weight restrictions on them. A box is 15 lbs and B box is 20 lbs. Have to order the boxes online.

The regional boxes also took a hit. They reconfigured the regions so that most are zones 5 and 6. And the Padded envelope is 5 cents higher than a small flat rate box. I can handle that for the amount of extra room in the padded one.