PDA

View Full Version : Gould 458/330 HP

greenhornet-1
02-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Ok bullet gurus, Do any of you know if there is a GC version being made by anyone that is close to this? The Lyman # is 457122 but it's plane base. Maybe we can do group buy on something near it. Thanks!

Nueces
02-02-2017, 06:06 PM
The 122 is one neat design, the first I cast for 45-70. I long have wanted what you seek. My older mould has a bevel base, so is not accepting of a size-on gas check.

You might consider NOE's 460-315-RF, in the RG hollow point style. It's a few percent lighter in weight, but otherwise looks much like a 457122 with a gas check.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=42_146&products_id=2155&osCsid=sif8cbttr55en65k01mb12ac27

greenhornet-1
02-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the response. That NOE is close. What would it take to get MiHec to do a run or a group buy on something like this? I can see a market for this bullet.

greenhornet-1
02-06-2017, 02:00 AM
OK, I did some searching and found what i was looking for! It's not a HP but i can handle that part. NEI 458-333-cg is the part # for it.

Char-Gar
02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
How fast do you want to push the bullet. This Gould HP does just fine at 45-70 Express (1.5 K fps) velocities as that is what it was designed for.

This was a very popular bullet in the 45-70 and I killed several deer with it back in the early 60's. It is an effective killer although it will cause some blood shot meat around the holes.

We use to seat a back check upside down in the case. Put a little glue on the bullet base and seat the bullet and check on down to the correct depth. Although the glue probably wasn't necessary, it was nice to know the check would not go down into the powder. The skirt of the check expanded to fill the grooves of the barrel forming an effective gas seal.

If you are using some slow stick powder some shotshell buffer on top of the powder would do the same thing. You want enough to compress the powder column a smidge.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2017, 01:05 PM
OK, I did some searching and found what i was looking for! It's not a HP but i can handle that part. NEI 458-333-cg is the part # for it.
You can forget NEI - since Walt died they don't do a good job and I'm not sure they are still open.

greenhornet-1
02-06-2017, 06:48 PM
How fast do you want to push the bullet. This Gould HP does just fine at 45-70 Express (1.5 K fps) velocities as that is what it was designed for.

This was a very popular bullet in the 45-70 and I killed several deer with it back in the early 60's. It is an effective killer although it will cause some blood shot meat around the holes.

We use to seat a back check upside down in the case. Put a little glue on the bullet base and seat the bullet and check on down to the correct depth. Although the glue probably wasn't necessary, it was nice to know the check would not go down into the powder. The skirt of the check expanded to fill the grooves of the barrel forming an effective gas seal.

If you are using some slow stick powder some shotshell buffer on top of the powder would do the same thing. You want enough to compress the powder column a smidge.

I plan on PCing and using it in my 458 Socom, also my 458 WM. I'm not sure about not using a GC. Your thoughts?

greenhornet-1
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
You can forget NEI - since Walt died they don't do a good job and I'm not sure they are still open.

Thanks for the info Wayne. I didn't know.

Char-Gar
02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
I plan on PCing and using it in my 458 Socom, also my 458 WM. I'm not sure about not using a GC. Your thoughts?

I know nothing about power coating, so you will have to look elsewhere for advise.

longbow
02-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Accurate will make you what you want except he doesn't do HP. He will make the mould the way you want to cast the size you want and with or without GC shank but you'll have to get someone else to make the HP pin. If solid works for you then no problem. Tom does excellent work and fast turnaround.

Longbow

greenhornet-1
02-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info longbow. I was just getting ready to do a search for custom molds.

Geezer in NH
02-11-2017, 04:26 PM
I would try a Plain base gas check if you have the mold allready

Wayne Smith
02-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Dan at Mountain Molds has a boolit design program - you design the boolit and he makes the mold. That is another option if you want to play with the design. Once again, I haven't looked but I don't think he offers an HP option.

Smoke4320
02-11-2017, 04:56 PM
If powdercoating the base you should be fine up to approx. 1900 FPS
Plain base or GC version

greenhornet-1
02-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Accurate will make you what you want except he doesn't do HP. He will make the mould the way you want to cast the size you want and with or without GC shank but you'll have to get someone else to make the HP pin. If solid works for you then no problem. Tom does excellent work and fast turnaround.

Longbow

I would likely get a round nose mold and hollow point them on my mill.
Thanks guys!

dh2
02-11-2017, 08:51 PM
You could always go over to NOE forum and start a thread and see if you could get it to go.

longbow
02-11-2017, 09:31 PM
When I used to have my 1895 Marlin in .45-70 I ran all PB boolits and never had trouble with leading even at top end Marlin loads. The boolit I shot most was the Lyman 457124 385 gr. which is somewhat heavier than the Gould you are looking at but not that much.

Never got any leading at all with the PB design in the Marlin but did near the muzzle in my Siamese Mauser using, again top end loads for Ruger #1 and Siamese Mauser, and since I had PB moulds, I added a .410 fiber wad and that solved the minor leading I was getting with the Siamese Mauser.

There are also wax wads and as mentioned above a standard gas check backwards under the PB boolit.

I think you'll be fine with PB but if you want a gas check design Accurate will do it quick. Way quicker than a group buy.

Longbow

Jhess
02-14-2017, 02:01 PM
http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=62 - Arsenal will do a GC if you need it