PDA

View Full Version : Not my day. Pics included!

BrutalAB
02-02-2017, 01:33 PM
First off the pics...

Now the story.
I had just got done sizing 600 9mm boolits and decided to switch to my rifle boolits everything is going normal until one gets stuck in the die. First time this has happened to me with any boolit.
So I hammer it out and make a comment in runfiverun's thread in coating and alts about this mishap and continue on. Next one does the exact same thing. Again I hammer it out and discard the boolit. Next boolit I put in upside down just to see if it makes any difference. It is very difficult but it progresses slowly.
(At this point I am standing and putting most of my weight on the lever saying "you are gonna go through this die")
... until it doesn't and here I am.

Then I remembered when I casted these boolits a month ago I had quite a few out of round cast from that mold.

On the bright side a few days ago I had decided I was gonna buy a new turret press at the end of this week. And now I can justify the purchase since I can't size boolits anymore.

Hope someone gets a laugh out of this.

Beagle333
02-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Looks like you put yer back into it, for sure! :shock: :wink:

XDROB
02-02-2017, 02:05 PM
DANG. That was some tough boolit.😣

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jmorris
02-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Yeah, even with presses that are a lot stronger than a thin aluminum casting, I keep dealings with women in mind.

With both, if you are not getting the results you desire, forcing them is only going to make things worse and get you into trouble.

XDROB
02-02-2017, 02:40 PM
With both, if you are not getting the results you desire, forcing them is only going to make things worse and get you into trouble.

That is soo True.🤕

ShooterAZ
02-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Yeah, with a Rockchucker you would have broke your bench.

mattw
02-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Yeah, with a Rockchucker you would have broke your bench.

Been there done that and it will not happen again. Way overbuilt the new bench!

ReloaderFred
02-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Neither duct tape nor bailing wire are going to fix that....... Might want to consider a Rockchucker, as long as you're buying something new.......

Fred

Andy
02-02-2017, 07:14 PM
I seem to remember reading that lee will replace any item for any reason for 1/2 of the current cost if you mail it in to them. I haven't tested that out but maybe that would work out price-wise for you. I'm guessing that's a lee turret press by the looks of it?

sukivel
02-02-2017, 07:23 PM
So what you are saying is I should go out and break my Lee C press that I size/deprime with...and then, hypothetically speaking and with regards to the wife, I will be justified to get a Dillon 650?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

jeepyj
02-02-2017, 07:28 PM
For me I feel some moulds make great candidates fo PC and some are better off with traditional lube. I'm pretty careful about excessive pressure on my old Lyman 45. Sorry about your press

Eddie Southgate
02-02-2017, 07:32 PM
I seem to remember reading that lee will replace any item for any reason for 1/2 of the current cost if you mail it in to them. I haven't tested that out but maybe that would work out price-wise for you. I'm guessing that's a lee turret press by the looks of it?

Replace or repair. They will do it but I would not mention the hammer part.

Eddie

Vinne
02-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Armor piercing??:D

[QUOTE=XDROB;3936217]DANG. That was some tough boolit.

BrutalAB
02-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Really not my day. Neighbor just came over and asked me to check my house for bullet holes cause he was cleaning his ar15 this morning and it went off... said he'd pay to have anything repaired or replaced.

And sure enough I found the path it took. Luckily for me it got stopped in the third wall because my reloading bench is in line with the path.

Said he had came over and knocked right after it happened. I didn't hear any knocks but my dogs did go crazy at one point for (what I thought at the time) no reason.

Pics tomorrow, I'm going back to sleep. See whatever else can go wrong.

TexasGrunt
02-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Really not my day. Neighbor just came over and asked me to check my house for bullet holes cause he was cleaning his ar15 this morning and it went off... said he'd pay to have anything repaired or replaced.

And sure enough I found the path it took. Luckily for me it got stopped in the third wall because my reloading bench is in line with the path.

Said he had came over and knocked right after it happened. I didn't hear any knocks but my dogs did go crazy at one point for (what I thought at the time) no reason.

What kind of moron cleans a loaded weapon?

He was screwing around and wasn't man enough to admit it.

Kenstone
02-02-2017, 08:56 PM
That press base looks like a "Value" Turret (or Pro 1000), NOT a Classic Turret.
Tell me I'm wrong :o
:mrgreen:

BrutalAB
02-02-2017, 09:30 PM
It's the c frame press that's around 30 bucks to replace. Also the bench was damaged. Second pic shows where it split.

sawinredneck
02-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Damn! Ever thought of moving? Just saying!
Yes, per Lee after the first year, or two? They will repair or replace for half the price. If you were considering an upgrade might mention that to them while on the phone, never hurts to ask.

MT Chambers
02-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Maybe it is your day after all, from this day on maybe you will buy better stuff not made of pot metal...

USMC87
02-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I hope you get back up running.

Artful
02-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Yeah, even with presses that are a lot stronger than a thin aluminum casting, I keep dealings with women in mind.

+1

:wink:

brassrat
02-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Bad day here too. Car dies and $85 tow, needs fuel pump I think and USPO says my package delivered but its not there.

1845greyhounds
02-03-2017, 12:07 AM
If memory serves, I broke 2 or 3 Lee C presses when I first started reloading in the early '90s. Probably user error.... maybe... Those experiences caused me to avoid Lee presses for almost 25 years. Now I use Lee C presses for sizing and think they're great (for the money). Time and experience?

Oklahoma Rebel
02-03-2017, 03:28 AM
I broke mine too, I kept it though, glad I did because about a year later, I ground off all the un needed metal to make it comfy to hold, and now I have a hand press, mainly for priming/ de-priming and sizing easy cartridges to do like the 38spl while watching tv. turned out ok, now I have had a ch202 for over a year, but I need a new press. for some reason the dies don't quite line up, or should I say the cartridge/boolit goes in a little crooked. I am either going to get a used rock chucker ( my favorite option) or the big cast lee classic o frame.

kmw1954
02-03-2017, 03:35 AM
Maybe it is your day after all, from this day on maybe you will buy better stuff not made of pot metal...

Nice comment. Maybe more a case of the wrong tool for the job at hand. I certainly wouldn't use a garden hoe to dig a trench! Besides, don't ya think he should have stopped after the 1st one stuck? Or at least the second one?

Motor
02-03-2017, 04:00 AM
I recently avoided that. But it was because of thoughtful guys like you who post these things. I had some .454 bullets that were cast with some really hard alloy. After giving the little Lee a test push I decided to stop and move to the Rockchucker. :)

Hey don't put down that little Lee. Mine has sized thousands of bullets. Besides I got it for free for buying their loading manual. Personally between the 2 I like the press more. :lol:

Motor

mjwcaster
02-03-2017, 04:06 AM
The issue with the LEE Guarantee is that is is half off of MSRP.
And you still have to pay shipping.

So for the cheap C press, I can get it shipped to my door new for $34.

It is $49.95 on Lees site, so call it $25 for half price replacement.
Plus $12 shipping (was $15 to NY), $37 total to my door.

Oh yeah, you have to ship the broken one to them in the first place.

What a great warranty.

Ok to be fair, the C press is a cheap item.
The warranty must be worth it for a more expensive item, right?

Lets see, Loadmaster Press, 9mm (90936), $384 Lee Price.
Half that is $192.
Shipping $25.
Total $217

Amazon will drop one at my door for $230, only $13 more.
And I would still have to ship the original back to Lee.

Once again what a useless warranty.

Not bashing, I use plenty of Lee products (and have had my share of issues).
Just pointing out how useless many warranties are.

And maybe I am the only one who pictures Chris Farley anytime warranties are mentioned.

Tommy Boy Guarantee (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4)

sawinredneck
02-03-2017, 04:52 AM
Point made, I'll go back to my corner now.

Sasquatch-1
02-03-2017, 06:46 AM
A very quick search on Ebay turns this RCBS Jr. up. And if it breaks RCBS will repair it FREE. Just so you know, a Jr. is what I used for 35 years without a glitch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-JR2-Single-Stage-Ammo-Reloading-Press-Reloader-w-Lee-Decapper-Pin-/381937989608?hash=item58ed4737e8:g:ew8AAOSwEzxYdte Q

Motor
02-03-2017, 07:05 AM
mjwcaster, Excellent post !!!!!! I'm not a Lee basher either but you are 100% correct about their warranty.

It's been that way as far back as I remember too and I started reloading in the 1980's.

The math is the same now as it was decades ago when I broke my first Autoprime.

Simply put their warranty is worthless. ;)

Motor

kmw1954
02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
A very quick search on Ebay turns this RCBS Jr. up. And if it breaks RCBS will repair it FREE. Just so you know, a Jr. is what I used for 35 years without a glitch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-JR2-Single-Stage-Ammo-Reloading-Press-Reloader-w-Lee-Decapper-Pin-/381937989608?hash=item58ed4737e8:g:ew8AAOSwEzxYdte Q

Excellent advice. I have a JR3 that I picked up used for very little money. I don't use it much but I have it if I need it.

I don't have a problem with Lee presses as I have a Pro1000 that I use for my pistol loads and am looking to add an old 3 hole turret to compliment it to be used for working up new loads and just switching turrets back and forth instead of buying multiple sets of dies.

One just needs to keep in perspective that they are inexpensive tools with limited warranty. If one goes in with that mindset then they won't be disappointed. The small presses work very well with pistol calibers and I would never expect them to withstand the constant pressure of loading rifle rounds.

Also, I am one of those that only uses my press about once every few months and then it sits. So for me I couldn't justify the expense or buying something like a Dillon or Hornady because even used they would be 4X what I spent on the used Lee. If it breaks then I'll look for another used one.

54shooter
02-03-2017, 04:06 PM
I don't use much Lee stuff but can't imagine my rockchucker breaking down like that. Saw two different rockchuckers locally on craigslist for less than 50 bucks apiece. Hope you get up and running soon.

308Jeff
02-03-2017, 04:15 PM

I'd say the damages are about equal to the cost of Dillon 1050.

robg
02-03-2017, 04:19 PM
I use my Lee c press for sizing boolits and factory crimp die .use my wamadet for sizing cases etc.

ubetcha
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
What kind of moron cleans a loaded weapon?

He was screwing around and wasn't man enough to admit it..

I have too agree 1000%. A foolish mistake that can't be taken back. How many time's do these people need to be told about gun safety and proper gun handling. It's also common sense that many people seem to lack.

XDROB
02-03-2017, 09:03 PM
I inherited (4) presses. A fewer years ago. I have not looked at these for awhile. But because of this thread I'm thinking about looking into putting one or two into service. I can't go look at them at the moment because I can't walk right now, foot surgery . And they are in cellar. So here a very light description. 2 are orange and are Turret presses. 2 are a kinda dark blue single presses. All 4 are a bit rusty, because they were stored in a damp she'd. I know the description is poor, but any ideas out here and if maybe they could be put back ok in to service?

jetinteriorguy
02-04-2017, 09:48 AM
I bought the cheap Lee C press and only use it for a powder measure stand, works great. Funny how people bash this press but look what it took to actually break it for heavens sake. Looks to me like you need both a new press and a new neighbor.

jmorris
02-04-2017, 09:59 AM
I like all the talk about a crummy warranty after the op already wrote...

At this point I am standing and putting most of my weight on the lever saying "you are gonna go through this die"

I suppose that if I pushed my truck into the lake or off a cliff and Ford didn't send me a new one on their dime their warranty sucks?

I think too many people are used to Dillon's warranty...

mjwcaster
02-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Jmorris,
The warranty was mentioned, so I just brought up that Lee's is useless.

As are most warranties.

Just a thing with me, so many people want a warranty, and love to pay (waste) even more money on extended warranties.

My MIL is a prime example.
Unfortunately she rubbed off on my wife.

I consider most/all warranties a waste.
There are a few exceptions to every rule, Dillon being one.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
02-04-2017, 05:45 PM
You Baby Huey'd that thang. Best, Thomas.

kmw1954
02-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Warranties are what they are. Each purchaser should have at least a small understanding of what warranty each product they buy offers. If you don't like the offers warranty don't buy. Then if you do buy why complain about it? Most electronics today are throw-aways and are cheaper to replace than to fix. While for autos we are now on our 2nd Kia and their warranty is outstanding!

To me trying to size stubborn brass on a small C press would be like trying to Fillet fish with a butchers knife or painting a 100' of 6' privacy fence with a 2" brush.

skeettx
02-04-2017, 06:47 PM
SOOOO the bullet from the neighbor came through the wall and impacted the Lee press and the
Lee press saved your life
Tell Lee and you will be a hero

Ho, Ho, Ho

Mike

r1kk1
02-04-2017, 09:54 PM
To me trying to size stubborn brass on a small C press would be like trying to Fillet fish with a butchers knife or painting a 100' of 6' privacy fence with a 2" brush.

In Richard's 2nd Ed., book he states that the press will full length size 375 H&H Magnum brass.

take care

r1kk1

kmw1954
02-04-2017, 10:49 PM
In Richard's 2nd Ed., book he states that the press will full length size 375 H&H Magnum brass.

take care

r1kk1

If the OP had to stand on it I'm guessing that would qualify as STUBBORN. Which I also don't think Mr. Lee had in mind.

sawinredneck
02-05-2017, 12:32 AM
SOOOO the bullet from the neighbor came through the wall and impacted the Lee press and the
Lee press saved your life
Tell Lee and you will be a hero

Ho, Ho, Ho

Mike
Damn lucky the richochet didn't end up in the kids room! Had it not been for that press stoping the bullet like it did, my wife would have lost one, if not both her knee caps! Small wonder that press was there to save us I'm liking how this could read!
Years and years ago my father was unloading his Marlin 30/30 lever gun in a house. He got to the last round and had an ad. He was careful so I'm not sure really what went wrong. Anyway, the round went through a pillow, mattress, a wall somehow missing my mother cooking lunch, richocheted of an old refrigerator, just missing my sister, and came to rest beside my right knee, embedding itself into the couch.
We had a new rule that day, all firearms were to be unloaded outside!

runfiverun
02-05-2017, 01:21 AM
oh boy.
I actually use my lee C-press to full length and trim rifle cases on.
I have broken a press before [ruined the Ram on an rcbs press too]
ripped more than one off a bench also. [breaking 2-4" lag bolts in the process]
stuck a boolit in a star sizer so bad I used a 24" pipe wrench to finish breaking it once.

I will vouch for rcbs dies though, they will [and have] stopped a 357 magnum stoked to about 1100 fps MV. [it needed a new lock ring]
the oak coffee table I still have will stop a 30-30 round.
need I keep going? :lol:

Motor
02-05-2017, 02:45 PM
You must be that guy my dad told me about who could destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet. :)

Motor

Sasquatch-1
02-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Now, tell the truth...Was this done while swaging? :groner:

[/QUOTE=runfiverun;3939640] I have broken a press before [ruined the Ram on an rcbs press too]
ripped more than one off a bench also. [breaking 2-4" lag bolts in the process]
stuck a boolit in a star sizer so bad I used a 24" pipe wrench to finish breaking it once.[/QUOTE]

BrutalAB
02-06-2017, 08:40 AM

300 black out. Pics are in order.

Got caught in a tote of christmas decorations.

flyingmonkey35
02-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Lee WILL replace. That. I know. I did it to one as well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2017, 11:58 AM
I inherited (4) presses. A fewer years ago. I have not looked at these for awhile. But because of this thread I'm thinking about looking into putting one or two into service. I can't go look at them at the moment because I can't walk right now, foot surgery . And they are in cellar. So here a very light description. 2 are orange and are Turret presses. 2 are a kinda dark blue single presses. All 4 are a bit rusty, because they were stored in a damp she'd. I know the description is poor, but any ideas out here and if maybe they could be put back ok in to service?

With only the sparse information given, I'd venture to say that you have 2 Lyman 6 hole turrets (T-Mag one models) and 2/combo of Pacific and or Bair single stage presses.

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Damn lucky the richochet didn't end up in the kids room! Had it not been for that press stoping the bullet like it did, my wife would have lost one, if not both her knee caps! Small wonder that press was there to save us I'm liking how this could read!
Years and years ago my father was unloading his Marlin 30/30 lever gun in a house. He got to the last round and had an ad. He was careful so I'm not sure really what went wrong. Anyway, the round went through a pillow, mattress, a wall somehow missing my mother cooking lunch, richocheted of an old refrigerator, just missing my sister, and came to rest beside my right knee, embedding itself into the couch.
We had a new rule that day, all firearms were to be unloaded outside!

Wow, God and your family's Guardian Angels were working overtime for your family that day!

XDROB
02-06-2017, 12:08 PM
LUBEDUDE, Thanks. So at this time my wife says she doesn't see them in cellar anymore???? Asked her to be sure, she got insulted that I didn't belive her. Have wait until I can get back on my feet to make sure that they are still in house. If they are not, I'm not sure what happened to them.
With that said, if I find them, are they Worth resurrecting one, mostly the turret style. I did get all of them to move after applying Kroll. But the rams are still a little rusty.
Thanks, For answering.

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2017, 03:01 PM
LUBEDUDE, Thanks. So at this time my wife says she doesn't see them in cellar anymore???? Asked her to be sure, she got insulted that I didn't belive her. Have wait until I can get back on my feet to make sure that they are still in house. If they are not, I'm not sure what happened to them.
With that said, if I find them, are they Worth resurrecting one, mostly the turret style. I did get all of them to move after applying Kroll. But the rams are still a little rusty.
Thanks, For answering.

I think that unless totaled, it's always worth restoring old loading tools. Yours are not worth much money, but they will bring good/great satisfaction. Especially after putting your time in to restore them.

BrutalAB
02-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Being the Kentucky boy I am, I could not bring myself to throw away such a fine press.
Also I bought a twin for it in case my repair job proves less than adequate.

I also just ordered an rcbs turret press for my more serious tasks.

Laugh away guys but this repair cost me zero dollars and about 40 minutes, and got to play with my toys on the other bench. Also when I was breaking it the thought did cross my mind that it was gonna fail, just was expecting the lever to break rather than the housing.

kmw1954
02-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Now all you need to do is mount it upside down and use it to size all those Cast Boolits with a Lee sizer.

skeettx
02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Kentucky?? Hmmmm, I would have guessed another state, :)
he he he

Plate plinker
02-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Well that other state is not far away.

Moonie
02-08-2017, 11:45 PM
I have a base I'll give you, it is the old design and I needed the new, no real difference except on the inside. I added a titan reloading primer chute, wouldn't go in the old design.

PM me if you want it.

runfiverun
02-09-2017, 01:02 AM
yeah some of the press damage was from swaging.
the one I flat wore out, I have no idea how many times that single stage ram went up and down.
but one of my 550's just went past the 90-K mark yesterday.

the one I ripped off the bench was done by the youngest daughter when she weighed about 120 lbs.
she was trying to push the rims off some 22 lr cases.
and was jumping up on the handle.
she felt pretty silly after I showed her how to set the die up properly and she could do them with one hand.

we won't go into the rcbs die stopping the 357 round.

flyingmonkey35
03-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Now all you need to do is mount it upside down and use it to size all those Cast Boolits with a Lee sizer.
Do this

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk