PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Melt Lead In A New Mould

Silver Jack Hammer
02-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I just received a new custom mould, the manufacturer shipped it to me with alloy already in the mould. What's the best way to heat the lead in the mould and start using the mould? I don't want to apply heat, think it's hot enough, rap the sprue cutter and damage the sprue cutter because I don't have the alloy up to proper temperature.

frkelly74
02-02-2017, 10:52 AM
So is the sprue not cut off and you are afraid of breaking the cutter handle by forcing it with cold metal in the mold? If that is the case you can soften the sprue with a propane torch and get it to the point where it will cut easily in very short order. Judicious application of heat should not hurt your new mold. I do not rap on my molds but open them by hand using an ove glove , catch the cut off and return it to the pot by hand. Ove Gloves do protect my hand very well.

fred2892
02-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Out of interest, which manufacturer?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Silver Jack Hammer
02-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Brooks Moulds

Smk SHoe
02-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Sounds like the mold is defective. If the manufacturer couldn't get the bullets out it is a lost cause. I'll go ahead and dispose of it for you. Just mail it to me.

Seriously tho, a light touch with a propane torch should do the trick. Or heat it up on a hotplate to temp and spur should cut.