PDA

View Full Version : Cast lubed boolits shelf life. Good way to long term store.

Dadswickedammo
02-01-2017, 09:45 PM
So this is my best thinking........
Have a nice set up for casting & lube sizing But.... It takes up a lot of room and time. Thinking if I fill an ammo can with each bullet I load for that should get me through the next 15 years of reloading. That will get me in my 70s. As of now I have 50cal ammo cans full of each type of round I have guns for. And an ammo can of each boolit I should be good. I can pass all the casting equipment on make some room and do other stuff.
What's your thoughts??

Yodogsandman
02-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Don't shoot much?

dragon813gt
02-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Depending on your storage conditions and lube used you may have a mess on your hands. Ask me how I know. If they're stored in a cool place you have less to worry about. But soft lubes are just that.

I hope you weren't thinking of filling up 50cal cans. 30s are heavy enough and I wouldn't want to move a 50 full of lead. And while a 30 full of rifle bullet may last me 15 years. A 50 full of pistol bullets may last a year.

I stopped lubing before storage. I will size and lube a batch and load them all up.

OS OK
02-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Well, since you lube-size I'd have second thoughts...exposed lube could go south on several counts. But, you could cast up what you want and hang onto the lube-sizer and lube-N-load as you need them. Pass the casting eqpt. on.

Dadswickedammo
02-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Hanging on to the lube sizer is not a bad idea.

runfiverun
02-01-2017, 10:34 PM
I fill 5 gallon buckets.
some of them need re-filled bout now, and more will be lower by spring.

for long term storage I'm powder coating [which I don't care for too much [yet?]
I am starting to lean more towards casting and doing one single coating with the Hi-Tek to prevent oxidization.
then I can size-lube later as needed.

Walstr
02-02-2017, 02:15 PM
I've been storing Xlox lubed & sized 45's but with a powdered mica coating. Great stuff, no sticking, etc.

therealhitman
02-02-2017, 02:31 PM
I size and lube with White Label 160 and fill coffee cans 3/4 of the way up. High tech I know. Then I stash 'em in the crawlspace and let them harden. In some calibers I cast more each year than I shoot. So I have many cans that are several years old (for example I won't cast any 250gr .452 for .45 Colt this year at all to eat into a huge backlog lol). I have never opened a can to find deformed boolits or 160 lube pulling out of grooves or, really, any problems.

pjames32
02-02-2017, 02:46 PM
I store in plastic shoe boxes with a bit of powdered mica. I have some that have been stored for 30 years in calibers I shoot little or not at all. They are stored in a cool basement.

therealhitman
02-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Don't shoot much?

Just realized...he's in Cali. They'll confiscate it all long before it gets shot. :kidding:

Dadswickedammo
02-02-2017, 11:10 PM
You guys are killing me!! Maybe I should be powder coating for long term storage.