PDA

View Full Version : Following Christ ?

Boaz
02-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Just a thought .
Following Christ if you should chose these are good choices of scripture although there are so many more . Was just thinking and thought they might help or reaffirm .

Discipleship is our Christian goal . To follow him , to try , to glorify him through our life , effort , actions ,teaching , testifying , thought , love for our Lord .

These are just a few verses to affirm and encourage .

Luke 14;25-33 (Following Christ is by choice)

And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple .

Luke 5;1-17 (Commitment)

And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,
And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:

And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

Ephesians 2;10 (Submission)

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Discipleship
Commitment
Submission

Thoughts , only thoughts .

USMC87
02-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Great thoughts and a constant reminder, Thanks for posting this Charlie.

rl69
02-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Deuteronomy 33:8-11
8 (http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-8.htm)About Levi he said:“Your Thummim and Urim belong
to your faithful servant.
You tested him at Massah;
you contended with him at the waters of Meribah.
9 (http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-9.htm)He said of his father and mother,
‘I have no regard for them.’
He did not recognize his brothers
or acknowledge his own children,
but he watched over your word
and guarded your covenant.
10 (http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-10.htm)He teaches your precepts to Jacob
and your law to Israel.
He offers incense before you
and whole burnt offerings on your altar.
11 (http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-11.htm)Bless all his skills, Lord,
and be pleased with the work of his hands.
Strike down those who rise against him,
his foes till they rise no more.”

w5pv
02-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Amen to all

Preacher Jim
02-03-2017, 03:08 PM
How did I miss this. Great thoughts and scripture to remind all of us what being a disciple means. Not pew sitting but serving.
Not talking about but going about doing.

Blackwater
02-04-2017, 07:29 PM
For me, following Christ is a day to day, moment to moment affair. A constant challenge. My will is strong, but I've been humbled enough to realize that, and amend myself and my ways. I even catch myself BEFORE doing my will rather than His sometimes. But it'll always be a challenge, I suspect. If it were easy, it would get boring, and I've NEVER been bored in any of it! It's a truism that we never believe more strongly than when we're going through a problem of some sort and know we CANNOT do what needs doing on our own. This drives us more close to our Redeemer, quite naturally. It's in the easy times that we tend to just let our faith slide away very quietly, and without even hardly noticing.

It's our weaknesses that engender the real necessity of "hard times." If we didn't need them, God wouldn't allow them. It's taken me an awful long time for that to finally sink into my thick skull. But I'm at least glad it has. I would be SO different if it weren't for my Lord! I thank God for all that I have and all that I know and all that I might achieve. He is truly THE most generous entity that could EVER be, or even be conceived of. Praise His holy name forever. Amen.