PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Porterhouse
02-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Slept good last night. Had favorite coffee, breakfast and now I'm on the way to pick up a gun. Back and leg hurt a little but don't bother me as much. Now, don't be jerous. This doesn't happen to me often and last time I slept this good was December of last year. It's amazing how little sleep makes ones life so much better...

bubba.50
02-01-2017, 04:25 PM
back in my party-hearty days whenever anyone mentioned goin' home to get some sleep you'd invariably hear somebody beller out "you can sleep when yer dead!" don't party anymore but, I get so little sleep some days I'm almost lookin' forward to it.:kidding:

nagantguy
02-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Sleep is invaluable to a happy healthy life! Decrease in brain and digestion issues are evident after about 30 hours

toallmy
02-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Good to hear Sr a good rest , and the new toy .

GOPHER SLAYER
02-01-2017, 05:57 PM
When I was young I would occasionally hear an old guy say," I would love to get six straight hours of sleep". I didn't understand what the problem was, but I do know.

nicholst55
02-01-2017, 07:55 PM
When I was young I would occasionally hear an old guy say," I would love to get six straight hours of sleep". I didn't understand what the problem was, but I do know.

I agree. BUT! It's so exciting to be up every hour (or so) to pee!

tigweldit
02-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Bad back pain limited my sleep time to 2 to 3 hours at a time. A few years ago I got a "Select Comfort" air bed. That thing changed my life for the better. I can now get a solid 7 to 8 hours. What a difference that bed has made. Mine is set at 30 p.s.i. most of the time, but I chance it to 25 or 35 p.s.i. on occasion. I have degenerative disc disease, so it will never get better. That bed is not cheap,but worth every penny. Sleep is so important to good health and state of mind. Get good boots and a good bed. Chances are you will be in one or the other.

Porterhouse
02-02-2017, 12:08 AM
More and more I realize the importance of good night rest, I look into investing better bed, mattress, pillow and stuff. Then that $ number directly translated to gun stuff. Gun stuff always win...

Idaho45guy
02-02-2017, 12:32 AM
I used to sleep 12-14 hours at a time on my days off to feel rested until I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years ago. Then I was finally able to feel good after only 7-8 hours.

I started a new job about a year ago that is a graveyard 12hr shift. It has messed me up badly... I go to work at 6pm and get off at 6am. Sometimes I can get right to bed when I get home around 6:45 and sleep for eight hours, or sometimes I have to stay up until 9am and then only get six hours of sleep.

The last couple of months I have been going to bed only to wake up an hour or two later and then be up for the next 24 hours. It is awful. I have a great memory foam mattress, quiet bedroom, light blocking drapes, etc.

I've tried natural supplements, melatonin, essential oils, and Tylenol PM. All of it works somewhat. But it is sporadic and sometimes I sleep too heavy and don't hear my alarm.

And I quit smoking a week ago and that is not helping things at all...

fatelk
02-03-2017, 01:21 AM
Years ago I put in several years on the night shift, 7pm to 7am. I hated it, could never get enough sleep. I could fitfully sleep all day and still be tired. I hope I never have to work nights on a regular basis ever again.

Recently the doctor said I needed a cpap machine. I got all set up with the whole works, really gave it a try. Every single night after trying to sleep with that dang thing on my face, I'd give up after fitfully sleeping two or three hours, pull the thing off my face and get some sleep. After nearly a week I gave up. I had to discontinue it so I could actually get a full night's sleep.

Omega
02-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Years ago I put in several years on the night shift, 7pm to 7am. I hated it, could never get enough sleep. I could fitfully sleep all day and still be tired. I hope I never have to work nights on a regular basis ever again.

Recently the doctor said I needed a cpap machine. I got all set up with the whole works, really gave it a try. Every single night after trying to sleep with that dang thing on my face, I'd give up after fitfully sleeping two or three hours, pull the thing off my face and get some sleep. After nearly a week I gave up. I had to discontinue it so I could actually get a full night's sleep.Might be worthwhile to try again, clear your nasal passages (nasal spray every couple days, with saline between), try different masks, I use the nose pillows, and adjust the moisture level. After I retired from the Army, my internal clock was messed up, my shift while on tours overseas were mostly at night, but had to straddle the time zones as well. Two weeks of ambien didn't do it, melatonin, ear phones, and a dark room finally reset it for a bit. Since I have a bulging disk from jumping, the pain didn't help, the sleep apnea machine keeps me on my back, not good, so grudgingly got the sleep number bed, and I must say, it's worth the money. I set mine at 30 with head and legs raised a bit, its my zero G setting, the guy at the store had me get on a bed with the sensor which said 35, but after a bit I reset to 30. Yes, they are expensive for an air mattress, and I was skeptical as heck, but I am glad I have it. Due to my sleep issues, I get 4-6 hours on weekdays (beats the one or two), but I try and get at least 8 on weekends or days off.

Multigunner
02-03-2017, 02:41 AM
Melatonin works fine for me so far as getting a full nights sleep, but I feel washed out the next day so there's little profit in using it.

Nyquil will also put me to sleep, but once again I feel washed out the next day.

kmw1954
02-03-2017, 03:07 AM
I started a new job about a year ago that is a graveyard 12hr shift. It has messed me up badly... I go to work at 6pm and get off at 6am. Sometimes I can get right to bed when I get home around 6:45 and sleep for eight hours, or sometimes I have to stay up until 9am and then only get six hours of sleep.

I have a great memory foam mattress, quiet bedroom, light blocking drapes, etc....

I chose to quote this reply because I can completely relate.
12 years ago I had to change jobs and it was a 12/12 night shift with alt. 4/3 -3/4 work weeks. I hated it and had a hard time adjusting. Left there after 12 mo. and moved to another 3rd shift job. 10hr shifts where we had a 1.5hr over lap between shifts and was there for the next 8 years. We also were on a schedule were we had to work 6 days every other week. I have now been retired for the past 2 years and my sleep patterns are still screwed up.

While I was working 3rd shift we put up black plastic on all the bedroom windows otherwise I couldn't sleep. I'd turn off the phones also. I'd get home about 7:30am and stay up until 1 or 2pm then sleep until it was time to work. For the first couple years on the weekends I could stay up almost 24hr after my last day of work for the week and then sleep that night and be OK. After a few years I found that my body had adjusted and on the weekends I was ready for bed by 2pm or need a nap. Didn't make the wife or family very happy as she worked days!

I'm now on disability retirement and suffering with very poor legs. Because of my limited mobility I find I just don't get tired some nights and am up late. Even then only sleeping sometimes for only 5 to 6 hrs. Other nights because of leg pain I'm up all night or only sleeping an hour at a time. Now in a couple weeks I'll be going back into the hospital for another surgery on my legs and hopefully that will relieve some pain and improve my mobility and sleep pattern.

Idaho45guy
02-03-2017, 03:47 AM
I chose to quote this reply because I can completely relate.
12 years ago I had to change jobs and it was a 12/12 night shift with alt. 4/3 -3/4 work weeks. I hated it and had a hard time adjusting. Left there after 12 mo. and moved to another 3rd shift job. 10hr shifts where we had a 1.5hr over lap between shifts and was there for the next 8 years. We also were on a schedule were we had to work 6 days every other week. I have now been retired for the past 2 years and my sleep patterns are still screwed up.

While I was working 3rd shift we put up black plastic on all the bedroom windows otherwise I couldn't sleep. I'd turn off the phones also. I'd get home about 7:30am and stay up until 1 or 2pm then sleep until it was time to work. For the first couple years on the weekends I could stay up almost 24hr after my last day of work for the week and then sleep that night and be OK. After a few years I found that my body had adjusted and on the weekends I was ready for bed by 2pm or need a nap. Didn't make the wife or family very happy as she worked days!

I'm now on disability retirement and suffering with very poor legs. Because of my limited mobility I find I just don't get tired some nights and am up late. Even then only sleeping sometimes for only 5 to 6 hrs. Other nights because of leg pain I'm up all night or only sleeping an hour at a time. Now in a couple weeks I'll be going back into the hospital for another surgery on my legs and hopefully that will relieve some pain and improve my mobility and sleep pattern.

Glad to hear someone else feels my pain!

I worked in law enforcement and military for years, so I have had to work weekends and weird shifts most of my life. Was finally done with that when I went into the insurance industry as an adjuster ten years ago.

Then got divorced and moved back up to Idaho where there are no insurance adjuster jobs. Fell back on my military and LE experience and work corporate security at the analyst level. Decent pay and benefits, but awful hours.

Col4570
02-03-2017, 04:23 AM
On December 22nd I went for a Hospital appointment to investigate Chest Pains.They put me on the Treadmill and wired me up,increased the Treadmill power until I was gasping.The following day the 23rd it was necessary to do an Angiogram and fit a Stent in the Artery,any way to cut a long story short that worked OK and they let me out on Christmas Day.Two Days later I was hit with a humdinger of a Cold that I can only think I picked up in the Hospital.This effected my breathing and I could only get some fitful sleep sitting upright.This went on for Two weeks and I was coughing for Great Britain.Feeling somewhat better I decided to do some Houshold chores.Moving the Freezer I over reached and lifted and my Back Popped.Since then I have slowly been coaxing my Back along with a Heat Lamp and Paracetamol.I am getting there and hoping to get to the Cardiac Physiotherapy next Wednesday.During this sad tale (Violins playing in the background) I have had very little Sleep due to feeling as if a Truck has run me over.:x

skeettx
02-03-2017, 04:30 AM
Well, here it is at 2:30 and I am UP!!
Soon to go back to bed and sleep (I hope)
We shall see
Mike

Idaho45guy
02-03-2017, 04:58 AM
On December 22nd I went for a Hospital appointment to investigate Chest Pains.They put me on the Treadmill and wired me up,increased the Treadmill power until I was gasping.The following day the 23rd it was necessary to do an Angiogram and fit a Stent in the Artery,any way to cut a long story short that worked OK and they let me out on Christmas Day.Two Days later I was hit with a humdinger of a Cold that I can only think I picked up in the Hospital.This effected my breathing and I could only get some fitful sleep sitting upright.This went on for Two weeks and I was coughing for Great Britain.Feeling somewhat better I decided to do some Houshold chores.Moving the Freezer I over reached and lifted and my Back Popped.Since then I have slowly been coaxing my Back along with a Heat Lamp and Paracetamol.I am getting there and hoping to get to the Cardiac Physiotherapy next Wednesday.During this sad tale (Violins playing in the background) I have had very little Sleep due to feeling as if a Truck has run me over.:x

That is an awful tale of woe! Hope you feel better and can get some rest ya' piker...

Good friend of mine at work is from Northern England and I love learning new derogatory UK slang terms for him... He actually enjoys being insulted with familiar terms... :kidding:

rondog
02-03-2017, 06:00 AM
I've been using a CPAP machine for close to 20 years now. That thing is my bestest friend in the whole wide world! Helps me to sleep like a baby. Trying to sleep WITHOUT it is torture, I have obstructive sleep apnea real bad.

I also work nights, 8:30-6:30, four nights a week. I can usually get 7-9 hours of good sleep every day, unless I have some errands or nonsense to foul that up.

waksupi
02-03-2017, 12:03 PM
For apnea, you can go to a good dentist, and they will make an airway thing that helps many. They charge a few hundred bucks. I get double mouth guards for about $5, and they do exactly the same thing. Works well for me.

johnson1942
02-03-2017, 12:29 PM
stay away from the meletonin supplements, they have too many bad side affect to mention. depression and total loss of libido are the main ones. try not to eat before you go to bed. for those of you that fall asleep easily but wake up in a couple of hours there is a easy remedy for that that is safe and very very good for you. go to be and fall asleep. when you wake up in a couple of hours take 500 mg of L-TRYPTOPHAN. you should fall back to sleep in a 1/2 hour. if that doesnt work real good increase to two tabs. at 1000 mgs. that will work. you will all have a good rem cycle and dream like nuts. thats when the body repairs its self. dont go over 1000 mgs. dont do this if your taking serotonin reuptake meds for depression. you will feel calmer and more well rested the next day. ive been doing this for years as well as my youngest son. he slept poorly when he was starting to develop and this changed that. the tryptophan has to be L-tryptophan so it is a pure amino crystal acid. it does not compete with food in the stomach so if you take it at bed time, you can have no food in your stomach to make it work. it also hepls the pituitary release a little growth hormone during the dream cycle so that helps your body stay healthy and stronger. there you are, something that really works from the old R.N. we used to give this to teens in the hospital instead of sleeping pills and it always worked for them.

Mtnfolk75
02-03-2017, 04:37 PM
I'm another that worked primarily night shift over a nearly 25 year career, I have been Medically Retired for 16 years ans still have some sleep issues. I have had balance & leg stamina issues for years, my Primary Care Doc finally diagnosed it as a Neurological issue. I am prescribed 300 mg of Lyrica to combat my leg pain & Neuropathy and walk with the aid of a cane, I've found that when I take two Tylenol PM's about 30 minutes before I get in bed I will sleep solid for 7-8 hours. If I forget and only take the one that is in my night meds, I will be up to Pee 2-3 times. FWIW, I am pretty beat up for only 63 years old ... but I would not change anything for it has been a interesting ride & I mourn those that have not had the opportunity. Life is good.

Col4570
02-03-2017, 05:47 PM
That is an awful tale of woe! Hope you feel better and can get some rest ya' piker...

Good friend of mine at work is from Northern England and I love learning new derogatory UK slang terms for him... He actually enjoys being insulted with familiar terms... :kidding:

Just looked up the definition of Piker ?

MT Gianni
02-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Melatonin has given me the ability to sleep 6-7 hours a night especially when I am in motels 35 weeks a year. Get it dark, and either quiet or a slight background noise to cancel any other household noises. I am careful to not have any caffeine after 4 pm and nothing to eat 2 hours before bedtime.

Porterhouse
02-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Tried melatonin on and off in the past 15 years or so. Sometime it worked, sometime didn't. What really awful is when I take it but still wake up after only 3h or so later. Feel sleepy, drowsy, tired but not being able to go back to sleep.
The day after this kind of night is nothing but waste of time. Wake but not productive at all.
I have done just a little of night shift. My case was starting 4PM and supposed to end midnight. More often I ended up keep working extra hour or more, then drive through some snow storm. That took me 2h or more which should only take 30 min in good weather.
That was rough time but I was young and could sleep even sun was beating my face.

samari46
02-04-2017, 12:06 AM
I worked shift work 24/7for close to 30 years and the last few were 12 hour shifts. Those were the worst. 3 days 12 shifts then a few days off then 4 12 hour shifts. Days off would literally only get 4-5 hours of sleep. Only after I retired did I learn I had sleep apnea and copd and also asbestosis. Found the sleep maks took about 6 months to get used to. Now wouldn't be without it. went to a new pulmonolgist (spelling) and now taking about 4 meds including prednisone. Seems to be working but sometimes get a spell of coughing that knocks the **** out of me. Haven't felt like this in years. And yes am aware of the side effects of prednisone like brittle bones. After all those years of shift work even 20 years later still have a disrupted sleep pattern. You'd think that by now it would have more or less gone back to a normal pattern. Frank

Ithaca Gunner
02-04-2017, 12:57 AM
A few weeks ago we got a Memory Foam mattress. What a difference that thing makes! I hate to leave it and sleep solidly for around 6 hours before a pee break, then another 2-3 before deciding to get up. I like it, the dogs like it, the old woman tolerates it, says its a little stiff for her.

Col4570
02-04-2017, 04:42 AM
Worked some long Hours in my time and driving Home or to a Hotel after possibly working round the Clock in hot conditions was tiring to say the least.When in the USA we would travel late to the next job and book into a Motel in the early hours,snatch a couple of hours sleep before going to the Job.In the UK this happened frequently for example,the Boss would Phone Sunday evening and say can you be in Glasgow for 08.30 tomorrow morning there is an emergency at Kincardin Power Station and off I would go driving through the Night.Sleep was a precious thing and very often it was necessary to pull over and get at least an hour of oblivion.When the Body needs sleep it can be very dangerous to be out on the Road.no matter what you do to keep awake it will only last minutes.Now retired for many years my sleep pattern is better unless it is broken as in recent events beyond my control.