PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled about this ww.

BrutalAB
02-01-2017, 12:47 PM
So I just bought 2 buckets of w.w . From the tire/w.w. store I always buy from and I'm about 25% done with the first bucket and am getting pretty mad/disappointed because 70% of it is FE. But I keep coming across something that is making me even more mad because it looks like molten lead (okay guess it's not molten still but you know what I mean) stuck on some of the pieces.

What's puzzling is that the paint is still on these and has not been burnt off.

For what it's worth I've always got around 80% lead from w.w. so this is a pretty big jump. Last restocking was about 6 to 8 months ago.

ARMetals
02-01-2017, 12:58 PM
IAW PS is "Plasteel"

Basically it has a plastic shell, and a steel core.

http://plasteelwheelweights.com/

There is absolutely zero lead in those.

The stuff sticking on is likely lead getting attached somehow, or zinc.

OS OK
02-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Aw shoot...everybody knows that's 'leverite'...leave er right there...it ain't good for nuttin

BrutalAB
02-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Photo is how it came from the tire shop. I have not got to the smelting stage yet. Just sorting clips, sticks, zinc, and steel/iron.

Mitch
02-01-2017, 02:12 PM
one on left is steel one on the right is plastic.how are you sorting them ww?I pich mine with dikes.most of the steel and plastic you can see.the plasic ones are bigger in size

Yodogsandman
02-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Someone is picking through the bucket before you get there! They're robbing you.

Plate plinker
02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
I sort by using a PID to keep temp low enough not to melt Zinc. Toss all the **** in and scoop out the floaters.

BrutalAB
02-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Someone is picking through the bucket before you get there! They're robbing you.

Yeaaahhh...someone else says it so its not just in my head. I'm pretty pissed. Last time I'll buy wheel weights I guess since they were the only shop in town that didn't send them off elsewhere or reuse them themselves.

lightman
02-01-2017, 07:35 PM
The lead to non-lead ratio is holding up pretty good around here still. But free weights are about a thing of the past. The shop that I use gives them to me but its a pretty low volume and a few fisherman get some of them too.

BrutalAB
02-02-2017, 01:01 AM
To clarify I am not having a problem sorting use able from not. I'm pointing out that it appears I got screwed on this purchase with someone else's returns.

lightman
02-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I hear you. There are some places where your ratio is normal. I hope your experience is not the new normal.

mold maker
02-02-2017, 12:27 PM
The phenomenon isn't just with your source. The % of lead is falling everywhere. Getting a bucket that's already been pilfered is the pits. Next time check before ya buy. I find that the bigger weights are first to disappear. If there is an over abundance of small weights, the probability that you're getting someone else's leavings is apparent.
Regardless, you have a smaller and smaller availability to chose from.
Taking what's available is wise and prudent since there are more looking and less finding. Just look and negotiate the price, depending on the content.
Any will soon beat none.