PDA

View Full Version : Gonna get a Star Lube-Sizer

Down South
06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Well, I guess I’m gonna bite the boolit and buy a Star. My wife is getting jealous of me using the oven more than she does. I’ve been pan lubing ever since I started casting, which hasn’t been that long. Besides, all of the electricity that I’m using cooking boolits would probably pay for the dang thing.
I’d like to try some of Lar’s Carnauba Red or BAC. $1.35 a stick is a great price. My lube will be primarily for pistol and revolver boolits. I cast for my 45-70 too and I’ll use the same lube for it if I can. I can still always pan lube my 45-70’s if I need to.
I’d like to get a harder lube that won’t be quite so sticky but still perform.

Questions, Which of the two lubes do you folks think would be best? I’ll be in the 1300 fps range with my 357 Magnum plus what I would consider standard velocities in my 9mm’s and .40’s.

Is there anything that I should know about the Star before I order? Do I need the heater?

billyb
06-29-2008, 05:45 PM
i think you will like the star. i bought mine a few years ago to do pistol ,38,9mm,40,45acp. i was using rooster zambini,a hard lube. it worked ok then i found this sight did a little reading and tried lars carnuba red. now i use it with the handgun and rifle boolits(the rifle with cast is a new thing for me)with good luck so far. i like the carnuba red. i siz my boolits then i put a bunch in a ziplock bag with a small amount of mica geently roll them around untill coated. this takes care of the stikies.i have a lot of the zambini left i take a stick of the lars lube and about a third stick of the zambini and melt them together. when the rooster lube is gone it will be lars lube . Bill

Denver
06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Good choice. You can't do better than the Star. I use Lars Carnauba red for everything these days. When it's a little cool in the loading room I just use a hair drier for a couple minutes on the sizer body. I have 2 sizers and used to have Lars in one for rifle and either my home made lube or Lee Alox in the other, but switched to Lars red for both.

:castmine:

Jon K
06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Down South,

I have to first ask, Down South means HOT High Temps? If so ask Lars what kind of temps the lubes will withstand. If not why not just one lube.

I have 2 Star's, I keep BPCR Supreme in 1, and 50/50 in the other, and I am still trying different lubes.......gotta experiment!

I have been using BPCR Supreme and 50/50. I have been using the BPCR Supreme with pistol and lever cartridges in PB & GC with great success to between 1500-1600 fps, most in the 1200-1450fps range. I just lubed 5 of my 540 gr Creedmore boolits ad let them sit on the bench in my shed, and we've been well in the 100*+ weather-sat for 1 week and lube is still in tact on the boolit. So we now it doesn't go away with heat. If I pan lube, it is easier, if I thin it(10% Olive Oil)
I have been using 50/50 up to 2000 fps in 30-30. I am going to try some BAC, to see how it holds up to heat, for storage and shipping.

Heater, yes.......if ambient temp is cool -cold you need heater, more so than with Lyman/RCBS/Saeco lube sizers. Warm summer temps don't need the heater, unless you get into the harder lubes.

That's my input,

Jon

mtgrs737
06-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Star is the best I have tried, I have Lar's BAC in both of mine and I do need a little heat because of the cool basement I lube in. I have some Carnuba Red and mix a little with the BAC if I need a firmer lube for rifle boolits. With straight Carnuba Red I would think you would need a heater, best to buy a heater that is adjustable as too much heat can make a mess out of things. Lar's is number one in my book! Good luck!

HeavyMetal
06-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I think it's a good suggestion to call Lar's about temps for his lube. Might not be a bad idea to have an idea of temps ( at the house) for all seasons, you may find you need a heater for winter but not for summer.

Been using Carnuba red, 2700, for just about everything but am currently conducting an experiment with lubes and I'm playing with a few lube at the moment. Nothing Major has revealed itself yet so go with Lar's and be happy.

Down South
06-29-2008, 06:55 PM
I have to first ask, Down South means HOT High Temps? If so ask Lars what kind of temps the lubes will withstand.

I’ll give Lar’s a call about the temps. You’re right. I’m in Louisiana and it gets some kind of hot down here. We see very little freezing weather in the winter. I’ll be setting up my casting and sizing equipment in my shop which isn’t heated or cooled but is insulated. (Shop is in the process of being built now) I will have a wood heater in the shop to warm things up when I’m working in it in the winter time. I’ll also have an Exhaust fan in the gable end of the shop to help cool and for ventilation. (Damn, those fans are expensive)

If not why not just one lube.
I would like to stay with one lube but I may not be able too. If I can't, I'll set the Star up with what I shoot most of and keep on pan lubing the rest. Maybe on down the road I'll get another Star.

GabbyM
06-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I've been running Lar's Carnauba Red through my Star with just a hair dryer for heat. Just blow heat on the base for about 45 seconds or until the lube pump spring starts to bounce back instead of hang up. After that it will run through for about as long as my arm holds up. can't over heat it or it's a sticky mess. Have to walk away for a while so it'll cool down.

It will work in all the calibers you listed. If you needed thinner lube for something you can just melt a stick of CR and add a tb spoon full of oil or some 50/50 lube. I doubt you'll have a need to thin it.

mtgrs737
06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
The Star luber is a little difficult to get set up but once you do you will be very happy! Good luck!

GabbyM
06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
The Star luber is a little difficult to get set up but once you do you will be very happy! Good luck!
I keep hearing that they are more difficult to set up from many here. Personally I can't see where they are. Perhaps I've just been lucky with the Star. Or clumsey about setting up my Lyman.

I cast many different bullets. I can, for instance, set up for 200gr 45's then run my 185gr 45 with no change in settings. Both being a single lube grove and pushed through nose first. Have three 38's that all run on the same punch depth setting. Of course now that I've said that I'll be doomed to hours of fiddling with the next bullet I try to run on it. I just eyeball the punch setting. Then after I tweek it in while running. Count the number of threads below the lock nut and write that down on a 3x5 card. Next time you screw your punch in with that many threads showing and lock it down. Simple.

Recharging lube reservoir is much faster. I found that with hollow stick lube made for the Lyman it's best to melt it down in a jar then poor in. otherwise trapped air will give you fits. I preheat lube sticks I'll need in the oven at 100 degrees. Drop them in the sizer and size away. Only problem is my right arm is about four times as big as my left. That's OK though. I hold my pistol in my right arm too.

In my above post I mentioned I heat with a hair dryer. Of course a heated base is much better but I've just not broke loose with the $100 for the base. Carnauba Red I'm using flows at around 100 deg. So I get away with little heat. A true high temp lube would need a more consistent heat source.

Down South
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Of course now that I've said that I'll be doomed to hours of fiddling with the next bullet I try to run on it. :-D I know the feeling. Every time That I brag on something it comes back and bites me in the butt.

The Star takes solid sticks or hollow stick lube?

runfiverun
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
solid sticks..............if i get hollow, i heat them up and mash the hollow out.
just squeezing them in my hand. while warm will do it.

Down South
06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
solid sticks..............if i get hollow, i heat them up and mash the hollow out.
just squeezing them in my hand. while warm will do it.

Thanks, I'll be ordering today. :drinks:

McLintock
06-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I think the best accessory for the Star is the air cylinder, it sure made lubing a lot easier for me. I was getting lube streaks on the nose of bullets, using soft black powder type lubes, some on .44's, really bad on .32's, and the air cylinder has cleared it up for me. It speeds up the process also, almost to where I don't bother using the automatic bullet feeder I have. Also, I originally made solid lube sticks, black powder type again, but have found it easier to get a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup, melt the lube in a microwave, and pour it in; get more in each fill that way and never any hollows to make popping noises as you work. Work with it a while to find out what you like the best.
McLintock

Down South
06-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Of course a heated base is much better but I've just not broke loose with the $100 for the base.
For the time being, I'm just ordering the sizer and a couple dies. Like posted above, $100.00 is a lot for a base. If the blow dryer trick works then I'll use a $10.00 blow drier that I already have. I may go for the heater later since it's still $100 no matter if I buy it with the sizer or without.

I think the best accessory for the Star is the air cylinder
I'd bet that the air cylinder is nice. I've read a few posts about them before. I'll wait till I get the Star set up and then decide what accessories that I want later. I'm sure that I'll be buying more dies in the future.
I did order the Star today. Magma said to look for it in about two weeks.

Echo
06-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I use a drop light on my RCBS/LM's as well as on the Star. In summer I really don't have to - Tucson, you know. So far I just use 50/50,and have a little left from a batch put up in a 1/2 gallon milk carton. Cut into 4" cubes, then into 16 sticks, rolled between hands to sorta round up, and into the Star they go.
I have some beeswax, and Alox, and intend to melt up and put in a pot - when needed, warm in double boiler & pour into whatever...

Dale53
07-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Lyman's base heater for the 450 and Saeco (also is drilled for the Star and RCBS) is MUCH less than $100.00. I did add a rheostat to control temperature. MIdway has the base heater for $43.49. It is well worth that.

I use Lars Red Carnauba with perfect satisfaction (with the heater) in both my Star and my RCBS sizer (as well as a Lyman lube sizer).

Dale53

Down South
07-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks Dale, I didn't know that. When I buy a base heater it will be the Lyman. I can do the rheostat thing too. I won't be needing a heater till cooler weather starts setting in. My sizing will be done outside under my carport and then later in my shop and it will be plenty warm for now.
Lars didn't have a phone number listed on his web site (Smart) only email contact. I thought to heck with it. I've read plenty here and on other topics about his Carmauba Red to pretty well know that is what I wanted. I ordered Lars Carnauba Red yesterday. I have enough 50/50 NRA formula left if I need to thin it down any.

WildmanJack
07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey guys, how about a link to Lar's website. I'd like to try his carnuba red. Thanks..
Jack

Duhhhhhhhh NEver mind I found it.

sagamore-one
07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, I might as well put my two cents worth into the discussion. I have 6 star, 1 RCBS, 1 Lachmiller, and a Saeco/ Redding sizer. For lube I use Rooster Red, Magma Green, Tamarack 50/50, and my own 50/50. For base heat I discontinued the use of the Lyman. I have two of them. I use the Magma or an old C & H , both are adjustable and MUCH quicker to heat up. Not too important on the soft lubes, but quite a difference on the hard lubes. I use a power screwdriver to switch out the sizers onto the Magma and C & H base heaters. I would offer to sell you a used Lyman heater ,but I do NOT think I would be doing you any favors. The Magma is more money for a good reason. The C&H is no longer in production. Two of my Stars are "tall boys" and the difference in base heaters is more pronounced with them.
The Star sizer is absolutely outstanding in almost every way.

Just my two cents worth.

Down South
07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I have 6 star, 1 RCBS, 1 Lachmiller, and a Saeco/ Redding sizer.:bigsmyl2: Wow!!!!

mtgrs737
07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I use a Midway heater I got years ago and like the adjustable heat feature. On the star I have found that if you get the lube too hot it will cause lube to be squirted out he lube holes in the die and get picked up by the next boolit that is moving into the die. That was the reason for the small lube dots on the nose of the boolits that I was getting. I also have a Lyman heater that works great with the addition of a home made control consisting of a 600 watt dimmer switch in the power line, cheap easy to make and works fine.

I can also easily say that the air cylinder is a the best up grade to the star I have, it makes lubing much more consistant as the lube presure does not vary like the hand actuated spring does and you don't have to remember to turn it every so many boolits. The next best thing is that roller handle, makes the long runs of boolits more comfortable.

The star luber is by far and away the best machine for volume sizing. You will be pleased!

Down South
07-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Just got home today and was hoping the Star would be here but it hasn't made it yet. I called the nice folks at Magma this afternoon and they said it should ship about the middle of next week. That’s fine; I don’t have time to set it up anyway for a couple more weeks. Gotta go back to work in a couple days and I haven’t be home for over a week and a half now.

miestro_jerry
07-19-2008, 10:56 AM
The Star is worth the wait.

Jerry

Just Duke
07-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I use a Midway heater I got years ago and like the adjustable heat feature. On the star I have found that if you get the lube too hot it will cause lube to be squirted out he lube holes in the die and get picked up by the next boolit that is moving into the die. That was the reason for the small lube dots on the nose of the boolits that I was getting. I also have a Lyman heater that works great with the addition of a home made control consisting of a 600 watt dimmer switch in the power line, cheap easy to make and works fine.

I can also easily say that the air cylinder is a the best up grade to the star I have, it makes lubing much more consistant as the lube presure does not vary like the hand actuated spring does and you don't have to remember to turn it every so many boolits. The next best thing is that roller handle, makes the long runs of boolits more comfortable.

The star luber is by far and away the best machine for volume sizing. You will be pleased!

That is a clever set up. Where would one pick up a 600 watt dimmer swich. Is that a standard dimmer like you would put in you home?

Dale53
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Lowe's or Home Depot will have the dimmer switch (the Lyman heater is a low wattage outfit and the typical light dimmer will work just fine). I just happened to have a Dremel tool rheostat (essentially the same thing already "packaged", so that is what I use).

Dale53

Down South
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Got my Star today. All I can say is WOW. This sure beats pan lubing then running through a Lee Sizer. I was expecting some set up problems but I didn’t really have any. After a few adjustments the Star was sizing and lubing boolits like a champ. I may have spent 30 minutes setting it up.

I’m using Lar’s Carnauba Red and even as hot as it is here now it requires a little extra heat. I’m going to go with Dale’s idea on the heated base. I got it too hot a couple times and had a problem with lube getting on the nose and in the crimp groove of the boolits. It didn’t take me long to figure out just out just how much extra heat that was required.
Really once the Star breaks in I may not need the extra heat for this lube. The problem that I was having is the lube plunger would not return or spring back once it cooled to ambient temp.

I had casted a few hundred 358429 boolits late yesterday afternoon. The Star came in just in time for me to test it out.

Dale53
08-01-2008, 01:03 AM
My son, many years ago, was sizing a LOT of bullets on the Star (was working his way through college and commercially casting bullets was a way to make a bit of money) and about wore his hand out. He took a work glove, cut the fingers out of it, and ended up with a fingerless glove that really saved him from a blistered hand. I have kept the glove all of these years and use it every time I lube bullets. A padded golf, hand ball, or racquet ball glove would work the same way.

Dale53

Graywolf41
08-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can lay myhands on a Star Lube Sizer, either new or used. I don't know the web site for the Star.

Dale53
08-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Here is the web site for the present day manufacturers of the Star luber:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/products.php

Dale53

08-06-2008, 09:02 AM
down south to save your finger from being punched while sizing, get an auto bullet feeder. you tube up the bullets, while checking them. then just keep pushing. do get there shoulvel handle. i just added there air cylinder. it looks like it is a winner also. i do not like to change cal. so i have 3 star sizers. good luck

Down South
08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I've given thought to a finger getting in the way of the punch but so far I don't have any nubs. I wasn't aware that an auto bullet feeder was available. I'll check into that.

I'll probably buy another Star as time goes by. I'm really pleased with this one. The first thing that I need to do is get a Lyman base heater and set it up like Dale recommended. I've sized about 1000 boolits with the Star since I've had it and I have to keep heating the base to keep the lube soft enough that the lube plunger will return. I can see where this would really be a problem in cooler weather especially since all of my sizing is done outside.

I'll be moving all of my casting and sizing stuff to my new shop in a few days. The shop isn't heated or cooled so a base heater will be a necessity. Course I'll have a wood heater installed before winter sets in so that will help.

I believe that I could use a softer lube and not need a heater in warmer weather but for now I plan on sticking with Lar’s Carnauba Red.