PDA

View Full Version : Soooo, how long should you wait on hold with Lyman customer service?

Patrick L
01-31-2017, 06:29 PM
I called twice today, first time spent about 10 minutes on hold, second time 20+!! All the while the nice recorded voice told me I would be answered by the next available representative.

I finally gave up.

Is this typical?

buckshotshoey
01-31-2017, 06:43 PM
Give benefit of the doubt. Call again tomorrow. If it does not work out, spend your money with a deserving company. You might spend a little more elsewhere, such as a custom mould maker, but it would be worth it.
A semi nasty email to motivate them might not hurt.

country gent
01-31-2017, 06:51 PM
If I call them its 10-15 minutes. Ive found with a lot of shops an e-mail is better they can answer at their convience then and you hear back the next day or so. Most small shops appreciate this as they can return the e-mail during breaks or while eating lunch even. On small shops a phone call interrupts the work being done and when doing a set up of machine work it can be an issue. Lymans customer service should be dedicated people though. I also used the waits as a way to judge a company, If I'm calling customer service and they are so backed up I have a major wait to talk to someone then that tells me there is a major quality issue with their products.

buckshotshoey
01-31-2017, 07:06 PM
True. I just assumed that Lyman was larger then a small shop. With a separate customer service dept. A more diplomatic approach would be warranted if thats the case.

dbosman
01-31-2017, 07:40 PM
A very long time back, I got shabby help for parts I wanted to buy to rebuild a Lyman press. I called the sales manager and told him as a business owner, I'd want to know they had an issue. He took the reps name and instead of helping with the parts order he sent me a new press. Ironically, if that is the correct word here, the parts I'd ordered, showed up six weeks later. I pass that one on by giving the rebuilt press, away.

3jimbo3
01-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Lyman's C.S. is terrible. I usually just order what I need and pay for it via email. RCBS on the other hand, email telling what you need and your address and it shows up a few days later. I know that don't help with Lyman tho.

Sent from my iPhone using TapTalk

What if you woke up this morning with only the things you thank God for yesterday?

Patrick L
01-31-2017, 07:45 PM
I was calling to order a Lyman part for a sizer, so going elsewhere is not an option.

I would just order it from the website but they are not accepting Internet orders right now.

Shiloh
01-31-2017, 08:03 PM
Last three times I called, got the same thing. Phone eventually went dead. Called in early December.

SHiloh

3jimbo3
01-31-2017, 08:12 PM
That does make it difficult. My sizer and trimmer are the last of my Lyman tools that I plan to swap out for something else, probably RCBS, but I won't do it until I find a good deal. I do have a #55 powder dropper that I will hang onto. Good luck with their customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using TapTalk

What if you woke up this morning with only the things you thank God for yesterday?

sutherpride59
02-01-2017, 08:04 AM
I sent them an email about a broken lubesizer part and they emailed me back the next day. Sometimes people are busy and that's the beauty of email you don't have to wait on them to answers your call

6bg6ga
02-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Lyman's customer service is just plain lousy. They need to take a course and learn how to properly care for customers and setup some kind of customer focus group to monitor customer requests and possibly pinpoint and rebuild the areas that need attention. Customer support can make or break a company. Myself, I will never purchase another Lyman product.

RCBS on the other hand has the best customer service I have ever seen. Many can learn from them.

murf205
02-01-2017, 09:55 AM
I sent them an email with a video clip of the sloppy linkage of a new press I bought and lightly scathed them for building such stuff. I received an email requesting my address in 2 days. Shortly thereafter, the mail man delivered the new parts. I will have to give credit where it's due, they did right by me. My 2 cents.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-01-2017, 12:52 PM
I've never called Lyman...But I've heard others with this same story.
Back in the day (before the internet), when I needed to call a shop or Company that was notoriously difficult to get a hold of, I'd call early, if you can find out what time they open the shop...or right after their lunch break.
Good Luck

ioon44
02-02-2017, 08:33 AM
After my last time talking to Lyman Customer Service I won't ever have to call them again.

Triggerfinger
02-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Call them just as they open, you'll get through.

Eddie Southgate
02-02-2017, 10:16 PM
I'd not expect to have to wait much more than a week or two for them to pick up . I've been using Lyman gear for fifty years and have called them many times but have only ever had anyone answer once .

Eddie

Patrick L
02-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Ok, to be fair, I ended up emailing Lyman with what I needed and the difficulty I was having getting through. About 3 days later I got a reply apologizing for the delay, and informing me the part would be sent free of charge.

Still not quite RCBS, but they did do right.

So, I ended up with what I needed. I have 2 Ideal 45s I wanted to switch, so between the generosity of 1 of our forum members who gave me an extra one he had, and Lyman, I got the two pressure nuts.