PDA

View Full Version : Remington and a bad barrel

Jaguar
01-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Got this gun last year just before the season and now I need a gunsmith to replace the barrel with a differant caliber. Anyone have any idea how much a 'smith might charge to exchange the barrel and adjust for head-space?
Jag :-)

Der Gebirgsjager
01-31-2017, 07:43 PM
That would depend a great deal on if you're supplying the replacement barrel or he is.

What is wrong with the original barrel?

By the way...Welcome to the forum!

Wolfer
01-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Several places( brownells and Shaw come to mind) have short chambered, prethreaded barrels for Remington's. you just need a barrel vise, an action wrench and a reamer to set the headspace. Reamers can be rented.
Where are you located?

leadman
02-01-2017, 03:43 AM
Might want to check out ER Shaw's website.

tomme boy
02-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Or get a Rem-age barrel and do it yourself.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels-2/criterion-remington-remage/

Pavogrande
02-01-2017, 08:45 PM
I have a 700 222rem take off barrel available -- complete with sights

country gent
02-01-2017, 10:19 PM
If it times up correctly when tightened its a fairly simple job to set head space. If it dosnt time up then the barrel shoulder has to be "adjusted" slightly. Some are making a long threaded barrel with a barrel nut to convert to savage style barrel. On this I would pin the recoil lug to the receiver so its one less thing to hold.

koger
02-03-2017, 11:43 PM
I have put on 3 of the Rem/Savage style barrels with barrel nuts, takes just a few minutes, put in a HS gauge, screw the barrel in, till the bolt is a little snug about the last 1/3 of the way down, tighten nut and check!

DCM
02-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Which model Rem. in what caliber to what caliber?
How much are you willing to spend and how accurate do you want it to be?
There are a many options and manufacturers, but what exactly do you want out of the rifle and what are you willing to spend to get there?

"We can do almost anything if you draw us a picture on the back of a big enough check." (OK valid check)

Texas by God
02-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Barrel, labor, bluing about $500 at least. What happened in one season to need a different barrel?? Best, Thomas.

Hogdaddy
02-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Barrel, labor, bluing about $500 at least. What happened in one season to need a different barrel?? Best, Thomas.

^^^^^^Good ?^^^^^^^^ I'd like to know also ; )
H/D