PDA

View Full Version : Pouring Lube

Ben
06-29-2008, 04:39 PM
We don't have a specific section on " Bullet Lube ", so if it is OK, I'll ask my question here.

I have a 2 quart sauce pan full of cooled , solid, bullet lube. I'd like to heat it up again and pour all the lube into smaller, more manageable, blocks of bullet lube ( solids ) , maybe 1 " cylinders, etc. that can be cut easily.

I have a small coffee pot that I pour my hot liquid bullet into my Lubri-sizers with :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29088

My small coffee pot only holds about 3 or 4 of the hollow sticks and it is full. So, I need a mold that will cast a shape that can easily be tossed into my coffee pot for melting and refilling my lubri-sizers.

My question is this, what can I pour the lube into and have a chance of bringing it out all in one piece, or another way to put the question, what is a good mold that the bullet lube will release from allowing the solid lube to easily come out of the mold?

Thanks,

Ben

mtgrs737
06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I would try the ingot mould I cast ingots in. You might have to warm it a little if the lube ingots stick and don't want to release them.

Ben
06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I use cast iron ingot molds. Cast iron has so many open pores in it, don't you think the lube would get into all those pores and create a lock ?

I've read that a 6 " long PVC pipe. 1" in dia. coated with a grease, pour in the lube, allow it to harden and push it out with a wooden dowel. I don't know if that would work or not. Maybe someone who may have tried this method can tell me if it would work ?

Ben

billyb
06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I use cast iron ingot molds. Cast iron has so many open pores in it, don't you think the lube would get into all those pores and create a lock ?

I've read that a 6 " long PVC pipe. 1" in dia. coated with a grease, pour in the lube, allow it to harden and push it out with a wooden dowel. I don't know if that would work or not. Maybe someone who may have tried this method can tell me if it would work ?

Ben

check lars sight shows a pic of him pouring lube in pvc pipe molds, i read that one of the lube makers put his lube in the freezer for a while before pushing it out of his molds. Bill

Jon K
06-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Ben,

I too use a small coffee pot to pour lube, got the idea from Kurt on the Shiloh site.

Storage w/easy removal. Avilable at the grocery store.
Rubbermaid 1.2 cup/300 ml container, holds around 8.8-9.5 oz. The sides have a good tapered draft to pop out. Refridgerate or freeze prior to popping it out. It fits 10 cup coffee pot, or can be cut in half w/knife to fit 4 cup coffee pot.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0001-15.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0002-11.jpg

Jon

Onlymenotu
06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I used the cheap 3 for a dollar rubber-flexible plastic icecube tray to pour my beewax in to useable blocks without having to rebmelt the big block each time i wanted to use it...... but you gota watch the heat* ie how long it holds the heat before they cool down*...... If they stick,,,, i just dropped them down in a pan of hot boiling water for a few seconds..... just enuff for them to release from the mold.....* check often*.....

montana_charlie
06-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I also like the flexible ice cube tray. If they stick...put 'em in the freezer for an hour.
CM

Ben
06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Many thanks to all of you for your input , thoughts and good ideas.

Jon K :

I really like your suggestion. GREAT photos also ! ! I'll head to " Wally World " in the morning and pick me up some of those containers. Got a chest freezer in the basement to aid in removal.

Should work just fine for what I'm looking for.

Do you coat the lining of the container with anything prior to pouring in the lube ?

Ben

Jon K
06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Ben,

No need to coat, or do anything other than fill and chill before popping out. The container is pliable for easy removal, just push the bottom. The cover seals out moisture & dust. I stack & store on a shelf put in the freezer about 10 minutes prior to removal.

Jon

Ben
06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Jon K :

That's what I like , keep it super simple, really fits a fellow like me.

I should be able to do that without a problem.

Thanks,

Ben

dakotashooter2
07-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I make my own "lube sticks" with the PVC pipe. A couple of notes: some of the PCV is pretty rough on the inside and will not readily "release" the sticks. You might have to polish the inside for easier release. Or use a piece of waxed paper inside the PVC to ease removal. If you need a hole in the middle. Caps with a hole drilled through and a bolt inserted will accomplish that. A washer that fits inside the PVC tube can be put on the bolt to help pull the lube out of the tube.