PDA

View Full Version : Price for Unfired 1950 Marlin, 35 Rem

Bass Ackward
06-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Here is a picture of a new an unfired Marlin in 35 Remington. Serial number is G**** which indicates that is was made in 1950. There are two blemishes on the butt stock, three on the forend that are darkened finish, but no handling marks or scratches in the finish itself that I can see. There are none on the metal and zero rust. Not even on the bolt carrier or inside the action. Except for the SUPER TALL rifling, this looks like it was made yesterday. Even the butt plate looks new.

This *** doesn't have a box if you can believe that. :grin: So what's it worth?

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/ba2_shoot/35Marlin.jpg

JDL
06-29-2008, 04:24 PM
I never can figure the worth of things but, what are you asking for it? I might be intrested.
JDL

Bass Ackward
06-29-2008, 07:22 PM
A lot of help you guys are.

This thing had been kept in the original box up until last week. The fella who bought the 32 Special last week wanted the box with a passion, and paid an extra $20 for it. So .... they let him have it. (Yea, bet he wanted it.) But the 32 Special had been used for 40 years until dad quit hunting in the early 90s. Dad received the 32 Special as a Christmas gift from his wife. And the son got the 35 Remington from Mom and Dad for his birthday in 51, just before he left for Korea, from .... which .... he never returned.

I hate guns with a story. As soon as I heard that, my wallet was out; a fool and his money. Thank God someone bought the 32 or I would have had two of these things on my hands. Now I gotta make room in the safe.

JDL
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Well Bass, looks like you snagged a good one! I guess it would be worth the price of a new one if it was never fired. Doncha just hate putting the first one down the barrel?
JDL

HeavyMetal
06-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Good photo! nice looking Marlin.

IMHO: if you paid $500 or less you got a deal, if you paid $400 or less you got a great deal, if you paid $300 or less you stole it!

Condition of the box my or may not have given it more value, it won't do the guy that bought the 32 any good it should be marked for the correct rifle!

That's a real good cast boolit rifle and I would load and shoot it! Cast boolit plain base should never wear out the barrel if you don't use to hot a load!

Glen
06-29-2008, 08:35 PM
That's the first year that Marlin chambered guns in .35 Remington, so I would agree with the comment above that if you paid less than $500, then you did good.

06-29-2008, 08:43 PM
BA,
Those things in good shape like the Winchester 94s of same vintage are getting harder and harder to find and bordering on the "collectible" category. The best parts are the unfired bore and 35 cal- nice! I agree 300 would be stealing it. Normal range in a large market with various buyers looking for high condition semi-collectible levers... 500-600 wouldn't be unreasonable, maybe even a little more.

Bass Ackward
06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I paid $425 out the door. There were 2, 30/30s of the same vintage that were rather worn, and they were asking $550, so I thought it was worth it just judging from a new rifle price.

I already own a 94 Winny from 1950 in 30/30, so I thought this was a good pairing.

These people were local residents. What's strange is that I dated a girl who used to work for the Social Security office and she told me that my SSN used to belong to a local guy killed in the Korean War. Wouldn't that be weird, if this was the same guy?

And yes, JD, I can't imagine pulling the trigger the first time on this. Especially right now. Really wish I never new the story.

crazy mark
06-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't think they re-used SS numbers as that would cause a lot of confusion. That's how some people get caught for tax evasion. They used dead peoples SS numbers.

BABore
06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Have you slugged the bbl yet? I picked up a similar vintage 35 last year. The bbl appeared to have nice tall rifling. Bet it didn't have 50 rounds threw it. After having fits getting a 0.360 boolit to shoot well, I slugged it. The first two slugs came out at 0.365. I thought I might have did something wrong in the process, plus it's a little harder measuring a 7-groove bbl. I redid it 3 more times and came away with a 0.363 groove and 0.350 bore. Yep, nice and tall all right. Had to cut a special 365-190 GC mold to make things right. Luckily the chamber neck allowed for this condition. Hope yours is better.

Bass Ackward
06-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Have you slugged the bbl yet? I picked up a similar vintage 35 last year. The bbl appeared to have nice tall rifling. Bet it didn't have 50 rounds threw it. After having fits getting a 0.360 boolit to shoot well, I slugged it. The first two slugs came out at 0.365. I thought I might have did something wrong in the process, plus it's a little harder measuring a 7-groove bbl. I redid it 3 more times and came away with a 0.363 groove and 0.350 bore. Yep, nice and tall all right. Had to cut a special 365-190 GC mold to make things right. Luckily the chamber neck allowed for this condition. Hope yours is better.

BA,

When you said 7 lands, I thought you had been exposed to too many lube fumes or something. But you were right.

I am not set up to measure odd grooves, so I went with a known size. I slugged it and the slug slides easily though the throats of a Smith with .357 throats. Bear in mind that all the tool marks are still there, so if it cleans those up, I should still be in the .358 / .359 area I would think.

I also have a 255 grain of my design with a short bore ride section of .351. (measured) That won't even come close to going into the muzzle and hits well down on the olgive. If I had to guess, I'd say about .340. But that is just a guess.

What it is exactly, I don't care cause it will clean up and change. At least I ought to be in the ball game with what I have in the way of designs and sizers.

Whew, scared me there. Sorry to hear about your dimensions too.

badgeredd
06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Bass,
I'd say you got a darn good deal there.
I have been looking for a 30-30 around here for cheap cause I am wanting to build myself a 35/30-30. Hoping I can find one for under $300
I know I will if I wait a bit but I really want to get the rifle built before deer season up here in Michigan. I'm thinking that Boomer Mikey has a good idea with the L-o-o-o-o-o-ng neck in the 35/30-30 should shoot cast very well. BTW that's why I want one cheap...to get the barrel rebored to 35. Great buy there.

Bass Ackward
06-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I have been looking for a 30-30 around here for cheap cause I am wanting to build myself a 35/30-30. Hoping I can find one for under $300
I know I will if I wait a bit but I really want to get the rifle built before deer season up here in Michigan. I'm thinking that Boomer Mikey has a good idea with the L-o-o-o-o-o-ng neck in the 35/30-30 should shoot cast very well. BTW that's why I want one cheap...to get the barrel rebored to 35. Great buy there.

Good deal? I think so more and more as time passes. Its better to pay a little more money if it will perform. Now if it doesn't then it will become a collector for someone else and I will be buying a cheap 30/30 and rebarreling.

Isn't that strange how that goes. I'd say I saw at least 10 that fit that requirement this weekend. Most were the cross block editions. Some were even scoped for that price.

A 35/30 aught to work if you can get someone to hold tolerances. That's what it's all about.

JDL
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Good deal? I think so more and more as time passes. Its better to pay a little more money if it will perform. Now if it doesn't then it will become a collector for someone else and I will be buying a cheap 30/30 and rebarreling.

Of course you know the first one down the tube will knock off about $200 to a collector. Tell you what, just box it up and send to me and I'll let you make an extra $50 off me just cause I think you are a great guy. Besides I don't know of anyone who likes 7 grooves down the barrel. ;-)
JDL

Bass Ackward
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Of course you know the first one down the tube will knock off about $200 to a collector. Tell you what, just box it up and send to me and I'll let you make an extra $50 off me just cause I think you are a great guy. Besides I don't know of anyone who likes 7 grooves down the barrel. ;-) JDL

JD,

As best buds, how could I in good consience, let you pay money for something that might not chamber a round or go off? Chunk of the stock might go flying off at the first recoil or something. Could ruin our friendship. :grin: And for what? A few measley dollars?

Did you know, Gods favorite number was 7?

Screw collectors. You aught to feel her cycle up. Nope, levers are for hunting, and this old girl's still a virgin. Her measurements certainly make her desireable. She's sorta growing on me day by day. I haven't placed an order for the essentials, but that'll be the point of no return if I do. I see Graf has brass.

pietro
07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
From the Nov 1950 FIELD & STREAM magazine:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Pete44ru/V383.jpg

Bass Ackward
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
pietro,

Thanks. I would never have asked for that, but I certainly appreciate your time. I saved it as it adds to the ambiance.

I have the gun apart downstairs. I have oil on the interior parts of the stock. You could hear a slurping sound as that wood soaked it up. Especially where the stamped in the serial number. Guns gonna weigh 2 pounds heavier now.

I was worried that there would be rust where you couldn't see too. Nope. And clean as a whistle. The inside of end cap that holds the forearm on was filed to allow it to go over the stock and it was still in the white. Looked like it had just been filed.

For you guys that just have trouble sleeping over this, here's one from 63 in fabulous shape too:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8407362

If I didn't have this, I would be all over that. In fact, I might have to be anyway cause the wife is taking a shine to this one.

JDL
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
That rifle on AA (that looks to be in great shape btw) is unusual in that the forearm doesn't have a barrel band but, instead uses a cap. I'd be intrested if the butt hadn't been cut and a recoil pad added as it would match my .30-30 SC of that vintage. Hardly 2 years ago, I sold a 1961 .35 SC for $300. I can remember rows of '94s and 336s for $69.95 in my favorite pawn shop about this time of year and it seems only a very short time ago.
JDL

Bass Ackward
07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
That rifle on AA (that looks to be in great shape btw) is unusual in that the forearm doesn't have a barrel band but, instead uses a cap. I'd be intrested if the butt hadn't been cut and a recoil pad added as it would match my .30-30 SC of that vintage. Hardly 2 years ago, I sold a 1961 .35 SC for $300. I can remember rows of '94s and 336s for $69.95 in my favorite pawn shop about this time of year and it seems only a very short time ago.
JDL

I saw that and assumed it was the way they were that year. That also doesn't have the wavy ridges on top of the action and it is drilled and tapped. I have a question in about if they were still ballard rifled then and I am waiting for a response.

Was the $69.95 a 1950 price? Or a 1961 price?

Scrounger
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
As far as I know, Microgroove barrels are so marked; if they don't say so, they're Ballard. Not that we won't find exceptions....

JDL
07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
"W" indicates 1963 manufactor and would be Microgrooved which started in 1955 IIRC. Wavy lines disappeared about the same time frame or a little earlier. My "W" .30-30 does have Microgrooves, man does it ever. About 22 I think! Still, I was able to average 1.962" for 5 groups with an LBT 165 LFN and 35 grains of H-414 (1953 fps). I have found the early '60's Microgroove barrels to require larger boolits and are a little more finicky than those made in the late '70's.
JDL
Oh, that 69.95 was an early 70 price on out of pawn rifles. New ones would run you a C note plus tax!

The Dust Collector
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I picked up a 1957 RC in 35 REM late last fall for a winter project. The blueing was < 70% and the stock had a very heavy coat of varnish that was applied with a broom. The metal was in fine condition. After cleaning up the stock and reblueing, the carbine was back to almost it's original shape. This Spring I took it to a gun show and within a half hour a tabled dealer bought it from me to give to his son. 35 REM's are in short supply in my area from what I see. The gent asked how much and I said $350, he looked it over real careful like and said done!
So, in my estimation, what you have is indeed good deal and a fine example of Americona. It's something that if I had it wouldn't leave me in my life time.
Good on you!
DUST

Bass Ackward
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
JD,

Thanks.

Dusty,

You got me worried fella. IF you fixed up and sold a 57, what are you shootin? :grin:

The Dust Collector
07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
A mint Marlin 36 in 30 WCF! AND loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serial # puts it at 1946.........

The Dust Collector
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
My Marlin 36 30 WCF HEY!!! I DID IT!! MY FIRST PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why the picture shows light blueing around the bolt. Actually the blueing is great!

Bass Ackward
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Sure looks in nice shape.

I picked up a box of factory shells today in 200 grain. I figure that tomorrow is the ideal time of the year to have this Ol girl sound off for what may be the very first time. See if this gun works.

The Dust Collector
07-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I still have a 35 REM in a Remington 141. It's just as clean as my 36. That 141 is a real shooter with a cast boolit! A RCBS 200 FN. It sports a Redfield reciever sight and it has out shot all the Marlins in 35 REM I have owned over the years. Not saying that those Marlins weren't fine pieces, but the 141 was easier to make shoot with what I have.
The 35 Rem will always have a place in my heart.

6pt-sika
07-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Over the past 5 years or so I have collected five 336SC's .

The first was a circa 1952 in 35 REM , mine is about 95% and gave about $250 for it in north east PA 5 years ago .

My second was a 32 Special circa 1950 , got this one from a guy in Idaho for about $400 about 4 years ago .

Next came a 30-30 circa 1952 from Wisconsin or Minnesota I can't remmember which and it was about $375 .

Couple years ago I picked up a 1959 vintage 336SC in 219 Zipper from a MO member in Washington state . This one was in the $700-800 area .

And my latest SC is a circa 1962 in 30-30 I got from a leverguns member for about $350 , this one had a neat old Redfield peep on top as well ! And came from Wyoming if memory serves .

Bass Ackward
07-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Nice inventory.

Appears that Marlins don't garner real collector value so there is little downside to firing this or drilling and tapping, what ever. I was a little concerned that I over paid, but that bore is what touched things off. As soon as I saw that, my wallet was on fire and I just had to get it out to prevent third degree burns. :grin:

I wasn't looking for this when I ran into it. I am not a collector or a nostalgia type really. I just let nostalgia kick in, if I need a push. :grin: Strictly a performance buff. I actually was going to pick up an A5 Browning that was very clean for $400. That was clearly a good deal here up to $800. At duck camp, with a rendition of "God Save the Queen" and a bottle of Crown Royal later, some Canadian would have paid $1000 to $1200 for it. But I always wanted a short throat in 35 caliber. And the Canadian would have just used it for a boat oar anyway. :grin:

Bass Ackward
07-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Today was a steady light rain with fog. Target was simply a pie plate on news print backing to find POI. Hard to see over open sights. Ammo was Winchester 200 grain factory.

I began with the shoot - clean routine for 7 shots. Very light copper after the powder was removed. Cleaned that with Sweets first pass and shot again. What a trigger pull! You need to look like the hulk to get this thing to go off. Bet it's 10# or better. Gotta do some research in this area.

By shot 6, if there was any copper, it was coming out with the Hoppies when I removed the powder fouling. So after one more shot, I decided to go to three shot groups. After a total ten rounds, I went down range. Group was 14" low and 5" to the left. 10 shots measured 1 3/8". I am excited now. :grin: Cleaned again, (light copper) moved the sights some, and the next three were1 1/4 ". Since I had no copper, I just shot three shot groups on out without cleaning.

The average for the three, 3 shot groups was 1 1/4".

I think that this is going to make one hell of a cast launching system with time and patience. :grin:

218bee
07-04-2008, 04:36 PM
My first ever centerfire was a 336 Marlin in 35Rem. I love it, it has always shot well. I shoot 220gr Speer flatnose in it, found a good load many years ago and bought 3-4 hundred bullets. I see now the speer 220 gr are "hot-cor" I believe. Haven't tried those. I've been saving fort a mould as I am new to this casting business, and have just started with a 45Colt and 45/70 to get my feet wet. But I believe that 35Rem would be the last gun I'd sell. Oh yeah its from '73 and I believe it was $95 brand new. Nice buy on a great gun

6pt-sika
07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Nice inventory.

Appears that Marlins don't garner real collector value so there is little downside to firing this or drilling and tapping, what ever. :grin:

I wouldn't say that . The price of 336A's and 336SC's has gone up some since I bought mine !

Also I "am" a collector so I do not advocate D&T . One things for sure , once you drill the hole you can't put it back [smilie=1:

My original 3 SC's are all un D&T so they all have Lyman peep sights . And have shot the 35 out to 500 meters with cast bullets at the Ridgeway SIlhouette Club in PA !

6pt-sika
07-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I think that this is going to make one hell of a cast launching system with time and patience. :grin:

Mine likes the RCBS 35-200GC bullet quite alot !

And it's showing signs of likeing the new Ranch Dog 359-190GC bullet as well !

www.ranchdogmolds.com

They are not in stock yet but you can look at what has been done so far !
When I recieved my test mould I spent most of my time shooting it in one of my Marlin 336ER's (356 WIN) . But later I shot it in the old SC and as I say it seemed to like it with a little need for improvment . I have since then acquired a second 336D which is also in 35 REM , I plan on making this second 336D into a cast bullet rifle also .

JDL
07-04-2008, 07:52 PM
BA, sounds as if you have a real shooter especially if you were shooting at 100! What boolit are you going to shoot in her? I've never had to work on a 336 trigger because mine have all been very good, so can't be of help there.
JDL

Bass Ackward
07-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't say that . The price of 336A's and 336SC's has gone up some since I bought mine !

Also I "am" a collector so I do not advocate D&T . One things for sure , once you drill the hole you can't put it back [smilie=1:

My original 3 SC's are all un D&T so they all have Lyman peep sights . And have shot the 35 out to 500 meters with cast bullets at the Ridgeway SIlhouette Club in PA !

Sorry. What I meant that there was no way that this was a $20,000 piece.

I have been looking for a peep that will mount in the side holes, but was told from all the companies that they no longer make that sight. You got a sourse?

Bass Ackward
07-04-2008, 11:02 PM
BA, sounds as if you have a real shooter especially if you were shooting at 100! What boolit are you going to shoot in her? I've never had to work on a 336 trigger because mine have all been very good, so can't be of help there.
JDL

Yes. My closest rifle distance is 100.

The tops of the rifling are turning shiny as the bluing is coming off. The loading gate has a few scratches in it. She is no longer cherry.

I have a 180 grain of my own design to use until it the throat breaks in and stabilizes. Then I will slug it and see what I have to work with.

I never snapped the trigger. So I go out there today and I am pulling and pulling and I said stupid me, I left the safety on, so I roll it over and feel even more stupid cause its a lever. So I gotta get that fixed. No creep, just .... to stiff for target work.

6pt-sika
07-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Sorry. What I meant that there was no way that this was a $20,000 piece.

I have been looking for a peep that will mount in the side holes, but was told from all the companies that they no longer make that sight. You got a sourse?

Both Lyman and WIlliams still make peep sights to fit the two side holes .

Try Midway ;

Lyman 66 #116-045 $75.99 , now on sale for $59.99

Williams FP # 198-988 $58.99

Williams 5D # 583-902 $34.99

I can attest to the Lyman and Williams FP as I have a few of both . However the cheaper 5D I do not know about . I've been told it is the same as the Williams FP but without the click graduations in elevation and windage .

You can go to ;

www.midwayusa.com

or call them at 1-800-243-3220

You can also watch ebay and gunbroker for these sights as well as the old Redfield sight thats no longer made .

6pt-sika
07-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Being a nice guy and all I just checked Midway and they have all three sights in stock [smilie=1:

Bass Ackward
07-05-2008, 07:40 AM
I was told by both Lyman and Williams that the sights that they make / sell today require use of the two back scope holes on the top of the action.

My thoughts then became, that if I had to tap two, might as well go four. I have the base and a new 2 1/2 power Weaver on hand for a couple of years now anyway. So it seemed logical.

But if I can get a peep to work on those side holes, (and can get a post front sight instead of the softball bead) I'd go that route.

JDL
07-05-2008, 09:43 AM
As 6pt said, Midway has the Williams that fit your 336 and also the newer model that mounts at the rear scope holes. I gave my dad a 5D at least 30 years ago and it works fine if you stick to 1 load so readjustment isn't necessary. It really isn't all that hard to adjust, just loosen the lock screw and slide in the direction it needs to go but, not as precise as a microcrometer adjustment. I really like the older, all steel, Lyman 66LA or Redfield OM 70 or 80 series better than anything available now.
JDL

The Dust Collector
07-07-2008, 11:30 PM
For any of you mid Wisconsin people, as of 2PM today. Scheels in Appleton at the Fox Valley Mall had a Marlin gold trigger in 35 Rem for $285 in used but very good shape.