PDA

View Full Version : Re barreling a 577/450

iomskp
01-31-2017, 03:01 AM
A friend of mine picked up an old officers carbine in 577/450, I got some new brass from Bruce Bertram last time I was going past his place, now the bore is not pretty but some bad looking bores do shoot, I loaded 10 rounds for him and we fired them this morning, the fired brass is not what I would call good and he used the ramrod to extract some cases.
He wants to stay with the 577/450 does anyone know of anybody making replacement barrels for these rifles.

Regards Trevor

LuckyLes
01-31-2017, 06:41 AM
Hi iomskp,
Give Alan Swan a call 0425941880
He is at Redbank in Brisbane, makes his own barrels and is an expert on Martinis.
Good Luck
LuckyLes

Ballistics in Scotland
01-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Well assuming it is a Martini-Henry...

The thread should be no problem, as it is the same as in Lee-Enfields. If he hadn't wanted to stay in .577/.450 there are probably still target barrels around which would be a good way to a very accurate .303 Martini. If he isn't already equipped with dies and moulds, there is something to be said for it to be done in the modern or nearly-modern groove diameter of .457 or .458.

Still, if the outside of the rifle is still in original condition, some would prefer it to be lined rather than rebarrelled. Getting rifled liners out of the USA has become more difficult recently, although the range made by TJ's can be seen on www.trackofthewolf.com (http://www.trackofthewolf.com) . If you had to have an existing barrel turned down, it would at least let you out of using a larger diameter steel slug for the chamber.

iomskp
02-01-2017, 03:49 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your replies, I have passed on the information to my friend and he has contacted Allan Swan and has arranged to send the rifle down and have a barrel made and fitted thanks again.

Regards Trevor