PDA

View Full Version : Smoothbore shoot.

waksupi
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, I just got back from the World Championship Smoothbore matches. A great time was had by all, although some called me nasty names when they saw some of the targets and predicaments they would be in when shooting!

All camps and accouterments were pre 1840's. No RV's or any other type of modern camps are permited.
I would have taken more pictures, but of course the batteries went dead.

The high pitch whining set in, when the handgonne appeared, as most had never shot one before. There were a couple hits made, but the hooting and laughing made up for any misses.

Then, figuring they just wanted to do something easier, I had them take a shot, with thier guns upside down. Matt Denison, of Northstar West, manufacturer of smoothbores is shown shooting from this position. After his shot, we were smelling something burning. It turned out, his sleeve was smouldering away from the vent flash, so we very happily extinguished him.

They were beginning to get an idea this shoot may not be as easy as they had hoped, so next was using a mirror, to shoot over your shoulder backwards.

After these shots, the whining dropped off, and they were quite content to shoot at targets at any range and size. All I had to do, was threaten to return to those stations, and shoot them over again!

We also shot trap yesterday afternoon, and all did pretty well there.

End result, I won the round ball match, and tied for first in the trap shooting. I was castigated for having practiced too much, and was assured I would never again be allowed an easy victory.

Last night, we had a bit of a feast, with steelhead salmon, deer and elk steaks, and some side dishes, along with some evening toddys.

As I said, a very good time, and we will be doing it every year, last weekend in June. We have decided to make it an invitational only, to keep the numbers down, with the attending logistical problems. So, if you are in the area, and want to play, let me know!

MT Gianni
06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Looks like a great time. Gianni

KCSO
06-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Waksupi,
Waht a coincidence, I just came back from our clubs summer shoot and camp out. The weather was perfect and a good time was had by all. I like the idea of the upside down shoot and I maight have to borrow that for our Fall doin's. I sure like to see the flinters and the trade guns get a work out, those are may favorites to make and my favorite for a survival gun. My personal smoothbore is an Officers Fusil made from original French furniture.

Here's one of our camp site.

Boz330
06-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Man here you guys go talking about the the smooth bores again. It took 2 of my buddies to drag me out of The Frontier Shop at Friendship, Kicking and screaming. He had a couple of VERY nice trade guns in there. Unfortunately, as is usually my problem, champain taste and a beer budget. Hasn't been a very good year so far.
But I did get a card on the way out, just in case it gets better.

Bob

fishhawk
06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Boz330 don't you know about the friendship rules? friendship rules are you can't take enough money with you and don't bring any back! found that out on my first trip in 86

northmn
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Boz you are going to have to give in, once the itch hits it has to be scratched. I have a good start on finishing a smoothbore 12 that will cost me a total of about $80-$100 in parts. (Really it would cost more bbut I had a lot of leftover stuff laying around) Would like to post it when I get done. Learning to build your own helps in costs, irritates the hell out of the wife, gives you something to do in your spare time and is a nasty addiction in its own right. Have fun good shooting.

Northmn

Boz330
07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I've done some kit guns before and have fooled with quite a few modern ones as well, but spare time is not my long suite right now. I have 3 long guns and at least 4 short ones in the que right now I don't have time to work on. I have vowed not to buy anything I can't pick up and shoot till the que is empty. But you are right those itches are some powerful till you scratch them.

Bob

northmn
07-02-2008, 07:04 AM
As I get older and greyer I realize that time is about the most valuable commodity I have. Lots of the "important" stuff like working overtime and being in charge has been given up for a simpler life. Most don't agree with with me and maybe they are correct. I really should go fishing as I live in an area where everyone else vacations to fish. You know Boz the itch will just get worse.

Northmn

waksupi
07-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Don't worry, Boz. We are a very good support group!

fishhawk
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
except for waksupi! he's just a dry ball enabler! (probley even shoots a caplock!) [smilie=1:

Boz330
07-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Don't worry, Boz. We are a very good support group!

Enablers might be a more correct term.:twisted:

Bob

45 2.1
07-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Darn-it Waksupi, keep talking about these trade rifles and you'll have a few people bending your ear about building them one........me among them.

northmn
07-04-2008, 08:42 AM
To confound the problem some of you are having scratching the itch is the fact that there is more than one type of smoothbore to choose from. English fowlers are beautiful works of art that can be made in a variety of gauges, there are the military muskets such as the Charleville and Brown Bess, the NW trade gun and the French Fusil de Chase. Thats at least four you have to buy to decide which is the best.

Northmn

flintlocknfur
07-04-2008, 04:07 PM
"(probley even shoots a caplock!)"

Man...calling a guy a nipple hugger lover... thats low...really low....

We were at a shoot a couple weeks ago where one guy dry balled 5 times on the trail walk.... I think he was shooting with Ric to, come to think of it....

waksupi
07-05-2008, 01:54 AM
"(probley even shoots a caplock!)"

Man...calling a guy a nipple hugger lover... thats low...really low....

We were at a shoot a couple weeks ago where one guy dry balled 5 times on the trail walk.... I think he was shooting with Ric to, come to think of it....

No, Art wasn't shooting with me, but thanks for the reminder. His wife wants me to write a song , or a Robert Service-type piece to commemorate the occassion(s).

waksupi
07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Flintlocknfur reminded me I needed to make some sort of remberance for our champion dryballer. Here is the rough draft.

King Arthur

A man had come to try his luck,
Amoung friends old and new,
His confidence was high
The day would be his,
If only his aim held true.

A lovely day at the firing line,
Prepared for a day of fun.
There's laughter and jesting,
Attention is lost,
Oops! Dry ball number one!

No worries, says he.
This is not a common thing,
I still plan to have my share of fun.
Just saving powder,
He jests with friends,
With no powder in my gun!

No thought of mishap crosses his mind,
As he continues down the trail
No clue to him, at this very time,
He was entering a personal hell.

He carefully aims, no twitch in sight,
His hold deadly, straight, and true,
His hammer falls, the cap goes pop.
Sonofagun!
Dry ball number two!

Impossible! A travesty!
No luck like this exists!
If this keeps up, as I go along
I will certainly be pissed!

He walked up to the firing line,
Confident as could be.
No way, no how, no, not again!
Dry ball number three!

It's over now,
I know it's poor luck.
Today it is just happening to me.
No more dry balls,
As I finish the shoot,
As bad luck travels in threes!

He trembles in fear,
As the shoot goes on,
As his rifle fires faithfully,
If powder goes, before the ball,
The rifle works for thee.

Another target arises,
He takes it full in stride,
He ignores the giggles, the jokes, the taunts,
They can not jar his pride.

Curses now flow, the day is lost
AS he calls his rifle a *****,
Revenge comes quick from his insulted rifle.
Ha ha! Dry ball number four.

By now poor Art is a terrible wreck,
No sympathy in sight.
How had it happened?
How did he go wrong?
Hard liqour would flow this night!

The trail grows short,
The sun grows high,
Out shooting with his tribe,
Oh! The shame!
Did it happen again?
Dry ball number five.

With head hung low, and eyes downcast,
Rifle dragging in his trail.
A tear is shed, and from him is heard,
An awful, anguished wail.

His wife is a kind, and gentle soul,
And was full of sympathy.
She told no one with in the camp,
Well, maybe she told me...

A dynasty lost,
A new king has a-rose,
Among the ranks of dry ball fame.
Now in nights grown long
At the campfires last light,
Is whispered in awe, a name.

For Arthur is now, truly a king,
Amongst the ranks so bright.
And it's told in hushed tones,
How he suffered and moaned,
And wandered off into the night.

So beware my friend,
Of confidence high,
This could happen to you.
Art is a grey beard,
No pilgrim here,
A mountain man, tried, and true.

Though no powder was burned,
The tail could easily be turned,
And misery could follow you.
So be kind in your words,
As you congratulate Art
Because the next time,
YOU could be screwed!

flintlocknfur
07-13-2008, 03:36 PM
:groner: Oh dear god.... At least ive never done such a thing! [smilie=1: Your quite the poet.

Now can ya match it to flute music??:violin: