PDA

View Full Version : Powered drop tube????

abunaitoo
01-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Had anyone made a powered drop tube?????
I'm thinking of some kind of powered trickler over the funnel.
It would be way more consistent than my fumbling fingers.

country gent
01-30-2017, 09:34 PM
I saw one a guy made with a vibrator on it. I played with a double funnel set up for awhile one funnel 3" above and offset to the side of the bottom one. I thought this would even out the "flow" of powder Buy being regulated thru the first funnel and then down the side of the second one. I didn't see much difference though. I made the funnels and spacers from clear plastic 20 ounce pop bottles. A simple "regulator" could be made from a block of tight grained hard wood A block with a rotating drum ( again hardwood would work) and shallow cuts with a forester drill around its edges to drop the charge in small increments of 3-5 grns at a time. The issue with this or the trickler will be knowing when the charge is completely dropped. The trickler will be slow with a 60-70 grn charge also. A smaller hole in the funnels may help but then bridging becomes an issue with coarser graduations. A piece of glass or plastic tubing rolled into a spiral with a steep angle might help also. I would shoot for 30* angle on the spiral it will have to be formed carefully to not collapse the tube or distort it.

rr2241tx
02-01-2017, 04:51 PM
TexasMac (http://www.texas-mac.com/) came up with a great modification for a modular powder dispenser that runs the powder through a drop tube directly into the case which is tared out on the scale before each drop. Moderate MacGyver skill level required to build your own.

John Boy
02-01-2017, 05:11 PM
There was a detail article several years back in the BPC News that vibrating the powder in the case showed minimal difference v drop tubing it in. Proper compression is the objective