PDA

View Full Version : For those who are Timid of the Loadmaster.

LAKEMASTER
01-30-2017, 07:23 PM
On Saturday I made up 2 batches of 80 rifle rounds each to find an accurate load for a range day

i was sending one case down the shellplate and weighing each charge/measuring each case ( as i always do when only making 10-12 of ___ load)

i never realized how fast 1 @ a time really was. and I was able to really verify each round was as close as possible.

It dawned on me that those who have " issues " with the loadmaster for whatever reason may wanna go about this method before running a full shell plate. i had to make several adjustments to my priming arm before i got the primer depth i wanted. i have the same issue when i switch from rifle primers to pistol primers. it also doesnt help that my primer rod/bolt/adjustment system is worn out from the previous owner.

i know this tip isnt revolutionary nor original- this is basically the same as a turret " i guess " once you remove the indexing rod, you can adjust the same die over and over without hassle.

im the type of reloader, that will sit down and hammer out 500 rounds at a time. or focus on one cartridge development, or hammer out " plinking" loads for my stock to keep on hand. so its important to me to verify my dies/turrets/shell plates arent moving and loose before a whip out a batch or ammo. hope this helps a new loadmaster owner get over the gitters that i had when i put my loadmaster together. i guess ANY PROGRESSIVE, not just Loadmaster.

jmorris
01-31-2017, 11:32 AM
I always setup any progressive press one station at a time with a single case. Once they are all where I want them, I verify everything is right with the shell plate full and go.

so its important to me to verify my dies/turrets/shell plates arent moving and loose

You can put witness marks from the die, jam nut to the tool head and it is very easy to spot if anything ever moves from where you set it.

Guardian
01-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Do you find you have to make minor adjustments afterwards? I've noticed that COL will lengthen slightly when I go from single to full due to the case in the crimping die.

No Blue
01-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Darwin, owner of Loadmasterzone.com, has always advised to run one case at a time. Watch, see what's happening, get comfortable with how the LM works. And then add more to the shellplate until it's full.

It's too easy to mess up one of the die installations and cause 1 star ranting on Midway USA about the LLM. Easiest screwup is to have one of the dies too low and preventing the ram to come to the top of it's travel. Then you get priming issues because the LLM primes at the top of the stroke.

The lack of detailed instructions from Lee is the worst thing about the LLM. If you have enough native intelligence and mechanical reasoning, you can work around the lack of good instructions. But it would be mucho better with Dillion style documentation.

Then you have the half of the population that figures reading the instructions is not done; just wing it.....and with something as complicated as a progressive press, that's another sure route to 1 star ranting....

toallmy
01-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Well said gentlemen .

LAKEMASTER
01-31-2017, 06:50 PM
a few weeks ago, i de-primed ~ 300 40cal brass for the tumbler. i just have adjusted my indexing rod 7 times before i felt it was " smooth " enough.

last night, i replaced the priming bolt >> the 1/4-20 hex shaft with a knurled one i found. i wrapped the threads with plumbers tape.and now i can make smooth adjustments on the fly.

LAKEMASTER
01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
I always setup any progressive press one station at a time with a single case. Once they are all where I want them, I verify everything is right with the shell plate full and go.

You can put witness marks from the die, jam nut to the tool head and it is very easy to spot if anything ever moves from where you set it.

what brand is that beautiful piece of machinery ?

jmorris
01-31-2017, 09:36 PM
what brand is that beautiful piece of machinery ?

That tool head is for a Dillon 1050 but a Sharpie can put the marks on any brand of dies or tool head.

runfiverun
01-31-2017, 11:00 PM
I run witness marks on my single stage and on my swaging presses.
some of them are simply marked for weight, and some have more than one mark.

even on my 550's I go through with 1-2 cases and re-adjust/double check the dies.
some boolits need a little more flair or a different seating depth or need a little different crimp.
I also run off about 7-8 powder drops and double check them before starting.