PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M vs. Dillon

Patricklaw
01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
I've been reading about the Lyman M dies for expanding the neck of a case to accommodate a cast boolit. I was considering purchasing one to try when I got to thinking about my Dillon (XL650). Don't the powder funnels, at least on handgun calibers, work the same way? Does anyone care to share any opinions? It would appear that the funnel is NOT optional on the powder measure as it is required to actuate the measure. Would I gain anything by using the "M" die also?

Phlier
01-30-2017, 03:14 PM
I've been reading about the Lyman M dies for expanding the neck of a case to accommodate a cast boolit. I was considering purchasing one to try when I got to thinking about my Dillon (XL650). Don't the powder funnels, at least on handgun calibers, work the same way? Does anyone care to share any opinions? It would appear that the funnel is NOT optional on the powder measure as it is required to actuate the measure. Would I gain anything by using the "M" die also?

Don't the powder funnels, at least on handgun calibers, work the same way?

Pretty much. Different ways of skinning the same cat.

It would appear that the funnel is NOT optional on the powder measure as it is required to actuate the measure. Would I gain anything by using the "M" die also?

Unfortunately, that's not an easy "yes" or "no" question to answer. If the Dillon Powder Through Expander is giving you the internal case dimension you need, as well as the correct flare, it would be redundant to perform the same action again with an M-Die.

But, if you need an expander plug a different size than what Dillon offers, yes, you'll need to use something else. In my case, when loading for 9mm on my 1050, I have a Lee Universal Flaring Die fitted with an NOE Expander Plug (which is Lyman M-die style) .360/.356 in size. I have the Dillon Powder Through Expander die backed out so that all it's doing is dispensing powder. Then at the next station (where the powder cop would normally go on a 1050) I have the Lee Flaring/NOE Expander die.

LittleLebowski
01-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Learning occurred for me, thanks to Phlier! :-)

Phlier
01-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Learning occurred for me, thanks to Phlier! :-)

Glad to hear I could actually contribute something for a change... I've learned so much from this forum.

Thanks, LittleLebowski. :drinks:

Patricklaw
01-31-2017, 01:11 AM
Glad to hear I could actually contribute something for a change... I've learned so much from this forum.

Thanks, LittleLebowski. :drinks:

Thank you Phlier. I appreciate your advice on this.

fatelvis
01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
The M die opens up the brass to give the proper grip on the boolit, but also incorporates a short area from the mouth back, that is a bit larger than the boolit's diameter. This area permits the boolit a slip fit, and allows the boolit to be placed in the case, by hand, sitting completly square in the case, awaiting seating. This ability to push the boolit into the case squarely every time helps the seater to create loaded ammo with very litle runout.

Shiloh
02-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Go with these http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=88&osCsid=118ktbtrph629up2rsvj6k4dh5

Works with the LEE Universal case expander.

Shiloh

r1kk1
02-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Go with these http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=88&osCsid=118ktbtrph629up2rsvj6k4dh5

Works with the LEE Universal case expander.

Shiloh

I have asked him to make me one for the 500 Linebaugh months ago. No word yet.

take care,

r1kk1

Petrol & Powder
02-01-2017, 09:22 PM
I considered purchasing an expander for a 40 S&W Dillon and turning it down to expand 38 Special wadcutter brass. The Dillon 38 Special funnel works but there are times when it would be nice to expand the casing a bit more and to a slightly greater depth without over flaring the case mouth.

I think there's a member of this forum that makes custom Dillon powder funnels. ?

NavyVet1959
02-01-2017, 09:58 PM
I had heard about the Lyman "M" die and it seemed like a good idea, but figured I was pretty much stuck with whatever Dillon provides. Recently though, I came across a good deal on a mini-lathe and my first experimental project was to duplicate the Dillon powder funnel, but with a "M" die step in it. I ended up making the powder funnel shorter than needed, but it will work if I screw the powder die all the way down into the press. On my next attempt, I'll make it the right length instead of just using whatever bolt I had handy for the scrap steel to make it out of. Here's what it looks like...

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/dillon-powder-funnel-exp-1-640w.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the slight step in the funnel and in the brass that has already gone through it.

If you know what you're doing, you could pop one of these out pretty quickly. Having never used a lathe before, it ended up taking me a few days, working on it here and there when I had the time.

Phlier
02-02-2017, 03:08 AM
NavyVet1959, that is very nicely done! Now you got me wanting to get a lathe... ;)

NavyVet1959
02-02-2017, 08:12 AM
NavyVet1959, that is very nicely done! Now you got me wanting to get a lathe... ;)

I had been looking for one of the old Atlas, Craftsman, or South Bend that was in good shape and for an affordable price, but every time I found one, someone else had snatched it up before me. I stumbled across a Grizzly 7x14 for $400 being sold by someone near me and bought it. I figured it was cheaper than the lathes that I wanted and would give me something to learn on.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?322682-Finally-got-a-lathe

OS OK
02-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Just got my new Grizzly catalogue Monday. When the wife handed it to me she gave me one of those looks...sorta like she was sorry she didn't throw it away instead.
I said..."Oh good, now I can order some of those 6 X 89 sanding belts!" . . . I just got another of those looks!

Nice work there Navy.

sukivel
02-02-2017, 11:20 AM
I considered purchasing an expander for a 40 S&W Dillon and turning it down to expand 38 Special wadcutter brass. The Dillon 38 Special funnel works but there are times when it would be nice to expand the casing a bit more and to a slightly great depth without over flaring the case mouth.

I think there's a member of this forum that makes custom Dillon powder funnels. ?

That would be cool. I bought a similar version of this that is shortened for .30 cal rifle. I need to use it!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

sukivel
02-02-2017, 11:21 AM

That is nice NavyVet1959!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

NavyVet1959
02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
That is nice NavyVet1959!

Thanks... It's a first attempt and turned out good enough, I guess, since it does work. :) I should have also taken a photo of the very rusty bolt that I started with though.

gnostic
02-02-2017, 01:38 PM
I use the 'M' die when loading cast bullet, rifle calibers on the Dillon. That's because, I don't have carbide sizing dies, or primer pocket swage on the press. So, I lube, size and deprime, swage primer pocket, expand neck 'M' die and return cases to the Lyman 1200 case cleaner. I restart at the priming stage on the 550B Dillon...

Valley-Shooter
02-03-2017, 01:31 AM
Check out Gscustom2013 on eBay. He makes "M" style powder funnel for the Dillon powder measure.

I have the 9mm version on my Square Deal.

NavyVet1959
02-03-2017, 02:37 AM
Check out Gscustom2013 on eBay. He makes "M" style powder funnel for the Dillon powder measure.

I have the 9mm version on my Square Deal.

At $26 each, by the time I create one for each of the calibers that I reload and include one for the Dillon and the Lee dies, I'll have probably paid for my mini-lathe. :)

Of course, I don't factor in my time since I write it off as just learning a new skill.

I'm also not factoring in the cost of the beer. :)

mjwcaster
02-03-2017, 04:10 AM
Member Lathesmith made my custom .357 expander for my 550.

Not sure if he is still doing them, it was a year or two ago.

Valley-Shooter
02-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Member Lathesmith made my custom .357 expander for my 550.

Not sure if he is still doing them, it was a year or two ago.

How much did it cost and how long did it take to make?

mjwcaster
02-04-2017, 09:33 AM
I am not sure, another member gifted it to me.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

NavyVet1959
02-04-2017, 05:23 PM
How much did it cost and how long did it take to make?

As someone just starting off learning how to operate a mini-lathe, I would say that it would take me about a day to make it and it would cost me about a 6-pack of beer being consumed in the process. :)