PDA

View Full Version : Round balls in sabots?

RugerFan
11-05-2005, 02:18 AM
I've got a .50 cal inline that I have been shooting .429 conicals with sabots. I've always wondered how .429 round balls would perform. Anybody tried it?

versifier
11-13-2005, 06:56 PM
I've been trying to remember the name of the product since this was posted, but I tried to order some replacement parts for my rememberer and they told me they don't make the model anymore. There used to be a patchless wad for shooting round balls that I got some of to play with twenty years or so ago. I want to say they were called WonderWads or something like that, but I can visualize the package, not the name. Anyway, they were a semi-soft silicone plastic that swallowed the south end of the round ball and really speeded up reloading. I was a bit skeptical when I saw them, but they were cheap so I tried them and they were more accurate than patches with both ffg and pyrodex. I shot up the whole bag of them, but did not get a chance to use them on game - I hunted with them, but the deer just wouldn't cooperate. (I bought a Maxi Ball mold and some lightning loaders soon after and shot them until this year, when I switched to sabots and .451's.) The point is, technically, they were sabots, and they shot 100yd groups in the 2" range out of my .54. The theory is good, and you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it. I can't see that a .50 sabot holding a .429 ball shouldn't work great, energy-wise. As to how accurate it might be out of your in-line....isn't finding out half the fun? If it doesn't work, the balls should make great plinkers in a .44spec or mag revolver, Contender. :coffeecom

RugerFan
11-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Versifier,
Yup, trying out is definitely half the fun. I have obtained a .429 RB mold via eBay, but haven't cast any yet. Probably won't be able to until after the 1st of the year. Should be interesting.

BTW I have used Wonder Wads beneath conicals to protect the bases from burning powder gases.

KCSO
11-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Poly Wads

The reason they quit making them was that the balls popped loose and migrated down the bore. This was not so bad if the ball went all the way out, but when a wad hit the ball 1/2 way you ended up with a bulged barrel.

StarMetal
11-18-2005, 04:20 PM
...and why was it some muzzleloader manufacturers wouldn't warranty their rifles if you used polywads? The reason: too much pressue is what they claimed.

Joe

versifier
11-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Poly Wads. Yup, that was the name. I wondered why they disappeared from the market. Great prices on used m/l's with small bulges seemed to be easy to find a few years back, now that you mention it. Hmmm. Thanks for the updates KCSO & StarMetal.